by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE iPhone unlock rules.

To unlock an iPhone from EE that's on contract you have to have it for 6 months EE will not unlock any iPhone within this time frame.

If you have a iPhone from EE that you are using on PAYG you can get it unlocked at any time. Because you have already paid for the device in full.

If you have bought a iPhone that was from somewhere like Ebay and it was someone else's upgrade EE will not unlock it untill 6 months have passed because the person selling it has broken the T&Cs of their contract by selling it. Also if the person who sold it reports it lost/stolen the device could get blocked and EE will only unblock it for the person who's account its registered too.

If you are not a EE customer and you have got a iPhone and it has gone passed the 6 months of usage on the EE network you can request the unlock in any EE store.

EE will not unlock a device if its abroad if you don't have a account with EE.

If your a EE customer you can request the unlock by calling customer services on 150 from your device.

All unlocks be it in store or by calling customer services take up to 10 working days and cost £8.99

PAYG Users must have the £8.99 on there account at all times or the unlock will fail.

Contract customers can not have any outstanding balance when requesting the unlock.

EE will text you to inform you when it's done.

At this time there is no online unlock requests. 

34 REPLIES 34
by hello2015 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: EE iPhone unlock rules.

no more online unlock requests? calling 150 made me waiting for a long time. line is very busy
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry I've found out today you can request a unlock through your online account.   And it's now 10 days not working days. 

If the unlock is not done in this time you can come back here and the request will be escalated.

Established Contributor

do you mean the online unlock request still working?

or my request is still available?

thank you

Established Contributor

I was lucky to get through customer service line to ask for unlocking my iphone 6. the customer service told me that i can either do it online or go to store to finish the request, because he cannot find any device attached to my account which i have been used this iphone with my EE number for more than 6 months. Then i went to my local store at Woolwich, London. The store staff told me that they didnt do any unlock request at shop. The request should be online or by calling customer service.
Now i dont really know what to do with it.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Store requests are for non EE customers

In your online account you can request this there. So you need to login to your online account and request it from there.

Or you can call customer services.

Please say what store you went to.
Established Contributor

I went to EE store at Woolwich, London.
Please let me know how to do the request with my online account. Thanks
I can login to my online account. but i don't know what to do next
Established Contributor

Or should i give your my account details and you can send request for me please?
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Look in your online account under Manage Device for the unlocking request.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

i read Burge's "EE iPhone unlock rules." and i saw "At this time there is no online unlock requests. " that is why i am asking for a better way to send the request. calling 150 or going to store wasted me a lot of time, and the request is still not done
by nashein Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

So if I bought an iPhone from Carphone Warehouse (paid in full) and locked it in EE carrer I can't unlock that phone until 6 month pass? 

Established Contributor

you can get it unlock anytime if EE is wish to unlock it
by Grand Master
Grand Master

If your paying the full amount for the device you have then bought it and it's yours and you would be buying a PAYG device. Contract devices are not paid in full when you get them so EE say you have to use it for 6 months first.

You would be better off getting it directly from Apple though it f your paying the full amount.
Valued Contributor

So i have PAYG device and locked it in EE. I register that account online. Can I unlock device using " Manage this device"? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes. But why pay to get it unlocked when if you buy it from Apple it's already unlocked. You will be paying the same amount for the device except it's locked and then you need to pay to get it unlocked.

Valued Contributor

The thing is that device has been bought in Carephone Warehouse (My mum made a mistake to buying it in that store)  and after I put info it a sim EE to activate iPhone, and it locked on EE. I need to use that phone aboard to put other carrier sim card. Thats why i want to unlock this. 

Established Contributor

Online request is still working? i just sent the request using " Manage this device". Hope it works. It took me a long time to get it done.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Was it a contract device originally? If so it will not be unlocked for 6 months. You can not use a PAYG account/SIM card to unlocked a contract device and if it's within the 6 month rule.

If it was bought as a PAYG device then the full price has been paid for the device and it can be unlocked.
Valued Contributor

The full price has been paid for iPhone. I want to unlock it. I received a message from EE "Good morning Damian, we have received som communication from our unlocking team - they have been unable to process and unlock request for you as the number you have provided is showing as not being registered". I don't know what is the problem. 

Established Contributor

It was a contract iphone 6 bought from EE last year. My wift gave it to me 6 moths ago as she upgraded to iphone 6s. I am using EE PAYG sim with this iphone 6.
I think the iphone is okay to unlock.
the only thing i concerned is how to send the request
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.