by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: Dual SIM for iPhone on EE

@DBolding wrote:

I do and it works :-) I just walked into an EE store and asked for an eSim pack. The guy asked me is it for a new line or for an existing. Said existing, he got one and handed it to me. No charge either (I have heard people saying they were being charged £1.50 for them!)

@DBolding Thanks for that. Interesting to know. I might try it out when staff are a little more versed in what an eSIM is and wont greet you with blank looks

So either I was misinformed on Twitter (entirely possible given the lack of training staff have had on eSIM) or it’s just like PAYG where EE are saying no but if you can get hold of one it works

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DBolding  If calling customer services for it there is a charge as with all orders via customer services.  

by AHarMan2 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

So just to confirm as im looking to make some changes / account upgrades.

If i have two iphone 7+ devices with their own respective numbers each with an apple watch s3, am i right in understanding i can upgrade to an xs max, use both my current numbers on the xs max (port one number to esim) and just use 1 watch which would work for both numbers ?

If i buy the xs max outright from apple can i reduce my current monthly plans (which would be used in the xs max, 1 physical 1 esim) to sim only plans on EE ?

Thanks

by ewanrw Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The watch will only work with one number.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Both lines will work with the watch when the watch is in range of the phone

Only one will work independently if the watch is a cellular model

Valued Contributor

thanks @ewanrw and @greenbadger appreciate the replies.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You could set an unconditional divert from the non watch phone plan to the other, then all calls go to the one with the watch attached anyway?

Valued Contributor

One last stupid question

I take it then, it would just be a case of deciding which watch to keep, unpair both watches from current phones, insert the physical sim of the number i want to work with the watch (away from phone range)  then have the other number transferred to the xs max esim via an esim pack ?

Thanks

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

It doesn't matter which SIM you convert to an eSIM with regard to the watch plan. Just give EE a call to cancel the plan you don't need or get it all done in store when you pop in for the SIM swap.

iMessage will only work with one number at a time though.

Valued Contributor

thanks again @chistery

by petergradwell
Explorer

Hi - I have bought an unlocked Iphone XS and succesfully moved my EE service onto an eSIM. I put my work o2 SIM into the socket and all has been pretty good. Except that I get loads of call drops on the ee service (it's usually been fantastic).

I spoke to customer services and they said I had to have both my physical and my esim on the same network. This seems to be a bit of a shame, and other articles on the internet are a bit vague. 

Does anyone know if this is true / have others got it working with 2 providers?

thanks

peter

by m3centurion Contributor
Contributor

@petergradwell

I have an XS Max with An EE eSIM and a Vodafone physical sim and have no problem with calls on either line.

i think they are making things up

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@petergradwell  You got told what now..  not in a million years do you need both sims on the same network. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @petergradwell

Welcome to the community. 

Has this been happening since moving to the eSIM?

Does this happen in more than one area?

Have you checked the Network Status Checker to see if there is any reported problems within the area?

Speak soon, Katie Smiley Happy

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

As far as im aware, and i might be wrong in this, but only EE support the esim ie the physical sim can be from any provider, but in this country only EE support the esim functionality (which vodafone do not according to the mixed messages on their forum they do but its been shown otherwise nor, as far as im aware, does O2 or Three)

by petergradwell
Explorer

Hi

Yes, it only started happening when I switched to an esim on the new phone.

I had more success this morning with customer services - we've tried disabling 4g calling for the esim and I'll make some more notes about the calls that fail.

thanks

peter

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Have you tried disabling the physical SIM for a while and seeing if that helps? 

I have an unconditional divert set on my plan to forward to the one with my watch attached so all calls will go to my apple watch if I'm away from my phone.

It could be faulty hardware too.

by jimcape
Visitor

Thanks. helpful and informative. I am travelling from South Africa to UK for holiday and after seeing your news I will buy one of your Esims with a data bundle to use while I am in UK for my data and also calls whilst in UK. Now I can take incoming calls to my normal south african number and make use of EE data and calls within UK. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.