by
EE Community Support Team

Dual SIM for iPhone on EE

If you have an iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR on EE you can now use the built in eSIM to access a plan without a physical nano-SIM.

Carrying separate personal and business phones can be a hassle, which is where the new iPhone Dual Sim Dual Standby feature comes in. It means you can switch between two lines –for work, travel or whatever else you need – all on the same phone.

If you take a second line on your eSIM you will also benefit from a 10% second line discount and a 1GB data boost.

You can also move data between the two plans with data gifting.

How does it work?

It’s really simple. Firstly, you need to have set up your phone with your first line and normal SIM card. You can then sign up to a new SIM only plan with EE or you can move an existing plan onto an eSIM by visiting one of our EE stores or by calling us on 150.

You'll be provided with an eSIM pack that includes a QR code you can scan with your iPhone to activate your eSIM.

Once you have your eSIM pack it's time to set it up on your iPhone by selecting Mobile Data in your settings, followed by Add Data Plan. You'll then be prompted to scan the QR code on your eSIM pack.

As part of the set up you will be given the option to assign a name to each line and also choose what lines are used by default for data and default for voice and messages. These can be easily changed at a later date if you change your mind.

If you are moving your existing line to your eSIM, you'll see the second line but it won't have a phone number. To complete the setup, you'll need to visit www.ee.co.uk/simswap and follow the simple instructions.

You’ll need the SIM serial number from your eSIM card pack and be able to receive a PIN verification to your old SIM. If you aren’t able to use your old SIM you’ll need to call us on 150 from your EE phone so we can swap the number over for you.

FAQs

How do I know which line my calls are on?

After setting up Dual SIM, all of your contacts will be assigned to your default voice line. If you want to change this, there is an indicator within each contact that gives you the option to change which line you use for that contact.

When dialling a number, you can choose which line you'd like to call the number from.

When you receive a call, an indicator will show you which line you're receiving the call on.

Can I use iMessage and Facetime on both lines?

No, you can only use iMessage and Facetime on one line. You can choose which line during set-up, and can change it later in your message settings.

Which line will my apps use for data?

Your apps will use the default line for data.

So that's iPhone Dual SIM on EE. If you have any questions please take a look at the How do I use Dual SIM for iPhone on EE help page or tap reply below.

137 REPLIES
by Pagemakers Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Dual SIM for iPhone on EE

Just called my local store. They said the eSims were “quarantined” and were not available. 

What’s that about?

by grahamsmythe Investigator
Investigator

Can you please confirm - can I use my existing PAYG number on the eSIM, or would it have to be two 'contract' numbers?

by alunjuk Established Contributor
Established Contributor

hi 

I have just come off line from CS (150)

They are refusing to provide QR and Esim until my phone is unlocked ....

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@grahamsmythe wrote:

Can you please confirm - can I use my existing PAYG number on the eSIM, or would it have to be two 'contract' numbers?

You can only have an eSIM on an EE PAYM Contract. You can use the physical SIM slot for PAYG.

Established Contributor

A very helpful person just rang back and sorted this .

I am gonna put a PAYG sim until I am unlocked. So i can redirect my work calls to that and switch it on and off

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Pagemakers wrote:

Just called my local store. They said the eSims were “quarantined” and were not available. 

What’s that about?

I’ve just popped into my local store and been told the same

This is going just as well as I predicted it would. For a communications company EE aren’t very good at communicating

Established Contributor

It might be an issue with franchise stores. My local franchise store won’t give me an eSIM my main dealer will.

by jayb1
Explorer

If I have a physical simonly deal can I request a change to an eSim online or do i need to go into a store? 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@jayb1 wrote:

If I have a physical simonly deal can I request a change to an eSim online or do i need to go into a store? 

You can call 150 and get a pack posted out to you or visit an EE store. There’s no way to do it online or via the app at the moment which seems pretty backwards as these QR codes could be quite easily generated in myEE

Both these methods seem to be a total lottery and the likelihood of getting someone who knows what an eSIM is and knows that the feature is live seems pretty slim looking at here today and twitter

by baabaa90 Investigator
Investigator

There is a dedicated dual sim team - Ring 150 and ask to be put through.  Sorted an eSIM pack for me straight away - it costs £1.50 though!

Established Contributor

I’ve managed to get the eSim working now but instead of moving my current number to the eSim it’s added a second line. 

How do I get my current number on to an eSim?

Established Contributor

Documented in the link at top but you will end up here https://www.ee.co.uk/simswap

Established Contributor

I’ve done that but now I’ve got 2 EE lines on my phone and not just one. I followed the link given above and scanned the QR code on the eSim packaging. Now my phone has the old number on a Nano sim and a new number on an eSim which I don’t want. 

by Maexchen Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@greenbadger wrote:

@jayb1 wrote:

or via the app at the moment which seems pretty backwards as these QR codes could be quite easily generated

email I understand but can those people that say it should be done via the app please explain how they then would take a picture of their screen? using a set of mirrors?

We have all carried 2 phones for months, if not years, I can carry mine for another day...

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Maexchen wrote:

@greenbadger wrote:

@jayb1 wrote:

or via the app at the moment which seems pretty backwards as these QR codes could be quite easily generated

email I understand but can those people that say it should be done via the app please explain how they then would take a picture of their screen? using a set of mirrors?

We have all carried 2 phones for months, if not years, I can carry mine for another day...

The app can populate the information needed for the manual settings rather than generating a QR code

I believe some foreign networks do implement this. I’ve also seen a foreign virgin mobile customer have the QR code generated in their online account which can be scanned from a computer

Established Contributor

So from the same doc.

Is this what you did? Sounds like the eSIM was pre-activated and associated with a number and the swap hasn't happened yet. I know my apple watch on EE has an esim and that has a number associated with it, EE do some magic then to make your main number ring both. I don't know how long provisioning swaps take EE . In the past with physical sims on three its taken an hour or two and usually requires the phone to be off the net then back on again. Someone from Tech should have more info on this

How do I move an existing line to an eSIM second line?

If you have an existing line you'll need to set up your eSIM as above. Once the set up is complete you'll see that you have a second line but no phone number is present. You simply need to go to www.ee.co.uk/simswapand follow the instructions.

You’ll need the SIM serial number from your eSIM card pack and be able to receive a pin verification to your old SIM. If you aren’t able to use your old SIM you’ll need to call us on 150 from your EE phone so we can swap the number over for you.

by achmelvic
Visitor

Just been into the store on Briggate in Leeds and got my eSim sorted.

I was the first person to do it there, staff hadn't done one before and took some explaining until the store manager found the communication from head office with the details that was sent in the last 24 hours. It looks like the info is out there so the store staff just need to find it and have eSim packs in stock.

Only took a few minutes to swap my number from the nano-sim to the eSim, fit the nano-sim out of my work phone and get it all working. Credit to the guys in the store once they understood and were curious to see it working on an iPhone.

Yay to no more having to carry two phones around! :-D

by zcoobz
Explorer

I hope this helpful for everyone...

I have just called customer services on 150 and selected technical support.  Once I got through, they took my details and passed me over to the dual sim support team who explained that they had to send out a physical pack to my home address via Royal Mail.  Apparently for fraud prevention reasons but I didn't press it.  Seemed straightforward enough and they anticipate the pack being with me tomorrow or Friday.

by zcoobz
Explorer

Also should add that I went into my local store and they knew nothing about it.  They said it was because they were a franchise store.  Either way, as is normally the case, customer services seemed to be able to sort it out.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.