by Gabor2 Investigator
Investigator

Data usage current period issue

Hey Guys,

Can someone help me please?

I've got an iPhone 6 and I was looking at the cellular data usage on my phone. I've noticed that the Current Period amount doesn't add up from the listed apps and System Services data usage. Is that normal? Or the iPhone's usage meter is not completely reliable?

I've done a test when I was disabling all the apps from the list so they can't use cellular data. But when I try to open any applications, it still seems to draw some data traffic but it doesn't display it next to the app itself in this list. So it seems like something is using cellular data but the iPhone doesn't tell me what exactly is using it. It's not a massive amount of data. About 20KB-100KB when I open an app. System Services seemingly use a bit of data everytime but it's not the same amount as the Current Period amount.

Can someone let me know if this is normal behaviour on an iPhone? Or something is running in the background which is not listed within the apps?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards

Gabs

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Data usage current period issue

@Gabor2    These images are from a older iOS version but you’ll get the idea ,   Apple does show all data usage of the device so the device doesn’t report it.  This is why your can no go by the device usage.  

86C7B401-2A50-416A-93AF-376CBC96DF67.jpegAEC54638-1DA5-4F76-87D6-2DC6AE758FD3.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gabor2  The device doesn’t report all data usage.  I’ve got a image of what’s not reported I’ll see if I can find it.  

by Gabor2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris_B,

Thank you so much for the reply.

So basically the device displays the current combined data usage but doesn't report all the services or apps which are using this data?

I'm just a bit concerned something might be running on the phone and using the data without me knowing about it... a malicious software or something. I can't see any strange apps in the installed apps list.

Regards

Gabs

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Gabor2    These images are from a older iOS version but you’ll get the idea ,   Apple does show all data usage of the device so the device doesn’t report it.  This is why your can no go by the device usage.  

86C7B401-2A50-416A-93AF-376CBC96DF67.jpegAEC54638-1DA5-4F76-87D6-2DC6AE758FD3.jpeg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gabor2   There’s not a chance in hell that anything malicious has got onto your device the only way that this could happen is if you have jailbroken the device and you’ve installed it yourself.  

The  operating system on the iPhone is sandbox and a not open for anyone to install anything that could access anything on your device.   The only thing that can put on the device is through the App Store and all the apps in there have to get approved by apple first.  

You have the most secure/safe operating system on any mobile phone. 

by Gabor2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris_B

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help with this question.

I was very worried that something is going on and some spyware or something is hiding on my phone. I've actually updated the iOS firmware to the latest the other day via Software Update to 12.1.4. The device is not jailbroken.

So basically the picture you sent shows the real service by service usage on the same phone with all the additional.

When I was doing my test, just imagine all the apps turned mobile data off. I've reset the counter. Only the System Services was reporting usage for example 25KB. At the same time the Current period was showing about 100KB. That's why I was confused because I haven't seen anywhere on the list the missing 75KB usage. But I guess it's a similar thing to the image you sent?

Thank you very much again for the quick replies.

Regards

Gabs

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Gabor2.

I can see you have been given some great information from @Chris_B :). 

If you still feel concerned regarding your mobile data, I would recommend speak with our mobile care team

Please be sure to let us know if you have any further questions. 

Katie 

by Gabor2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie

Yes indeed, Chris_B's reply was very helpful and informative. 🙂

It's more clear now what is happening with the data.

Thank you very much!

Kind Regards

Gabs

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.