by Trigzilla
Explorer

Can I upgrade early without paying the fee?

Can I upgrade early without paying the fee?

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can I upgrade early without paying the fee?

@Trigzilla  If your not in your upgrade period it will cost you to upgrade.  You will have to pay off the reminder of the contract term. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Chris_B is indeed correctly. 

However there is a chance depending on how long you have been with EE and how you have left on your current contract, that EE will upgrade you if you wish to purchase a higher value phone and normally a higher tier package. 

So give upgrades a call and see if they can do tbis for you @Trigzilla

Good luck 🙂

by Trigzilla
Explorer

Great thanks. Will ask them tomorrow 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Trigzilla.

I see you have been given some brilliant answers here by @Chris_B and @Ben090.

To add a little more, you can find more information on early upgrades and upgrade eligibility on our Can I upgrade my phone? help and support page.

Chris 🙂

by Valentina84
Visitor

How is this possible to go for the higher plan etc and get the fee discounted. (If it works).

I've been with ee years I have 3 lines never miss payments etc.

Have a s8 and it's on its last legs really bad so I rung and asked if there was anything they can do yesterday it was £262 to upgrade but free after Christmas. Today new month on contract and it's still the same price. EE won't discount the upgrade fee at all even though I'm wanting a phone and plan that costs more than am paying now! 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Valentina84  EE will not write of what you already owe till your upgrade period.  You agreed to a contract stating that you’ll pay each month until your upgrade period.    If you want to upgrade early you’ll need  to pay any early upgrade fee and that fee is part of what you’ll pay till your upgrade period. 

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@Valentina84  EE will not write of what you already owe till your upgrade period.  You agreed to a contract stating that you’ll pay each month until your upgrade period.    If you want to upgrade early you’ll need  to pay any early upgrade fee and that fee is part of what you’ll pay till your upgrade period. 

I think the issue is not paying the upgrade fee, but the way that EE calculate the remaining amount. @Valentina84 says the amount shown online doesn't change in sync with the payments you make. Calling customer service gives a second figure, but when you actually come to upgrade they give a third figure. (BTW if you do this through a third party the figure is different again)

The last time I did it, The anount online was higher than customer service and the actual cost was between the too. None of these figures matched with remains time X monthly fee.

Some other providers have a more sensible attitude. You can upgrade without paying a fee if you will be paying more but the new minimum term is extended by the remaining time of the existing contract.

EE have now introduced Upgrade Anytime and this should make the calculations more straightforward.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.