Buy the new Google Pixel 2 and get a free Google Home Mini
Highlighted
by
EE Community Manager

Apple iOS11: The best new features

[ Edited ]

As well as the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, Apple has given us our first proper look at iOS11. And it looks great. Here’s what we’re most excited about.

New and improved Siri

The assistant in your pocket is about to get a whole lot more helpful, thanks to on-device learning and artificial intelligence.

As well sounding a little more human, Siri will learn what music you like, what news stories you’re interested in, what you tend to search for online. In short, it’ll be like having your own PA.

Automatic setup

This is a small but welcome new feature that’ll make switching phones an absolute breeze. When you get a new iPhone, all you need to do is hold it up to your old one to securely transfer things like passwords, preferences and settings.

It won’t transfer all your photos and videos, but it means you won’t have to spend days getting everything just how you like it when you get a new phone.

Do not disturb

Another small but incredibly handy little addition, iOS11 will mean your iPhone can detect when you’re driving and stop you receiving calls, texts and notifications.

Letting callers know that you’re driving and holding back notifications till you’ve parked, this has got to be one of the most safety-conscious features Apple has ever introduced.

Bigger and better lock screen

With iOS11 the lock screen has become more powerful than ever before, with all your notifications in one place.

All you need to do is pull down from the top of the screen to see all your recent and missed notifications in one place.

More control

The unsung hero of any iPhone, the control centre is the easy-access way to the likes of the flashlight, WiFi and Bluetooth controls. But what if you could have anything you wanted in there?

That’s exactly what’s coming with iOS11, allowing you to fully customise the control panel with the stuff you use the most. So if you like to make notes on the bus, or use the timer when making dinner, add them to your control centre and avoid all that scrolling and searching.

Have we missed anything?

These are just a few our favourite bits of iOS11 – there’s all sorts of other cool stuff to explore!

What are you looking forward to using? And what should have been included?

You can now pre-order the new iPhone 8 and register to hear about the latest iPhone X news on EE.

Community_images_SEPT_2017_iOS.jpg

27 REPLIES
by
Guest blogger

Re: Apple iOS11: The best new features

[ Edited ]

Unlike previous big updates, iOS11 has small but totally effective updates which I'm really liking. 

It has to be said however...... HOW COOL is the emoji features which maps your facial movements 😝!!!

literally small feature but one which really does show Apple's fun side. My kids can't wait haha. 

by
Grand Master

You’ve not mentioned the mobile data feature that displays your data allowance and how much data is being used in this billing period and also last billing period so you can see and compare what apps are using your data the most each month.   

by
Grand Master

Another one is you can set background app refresh to off, wifi only and cellular and wifi.    

by
EE Community Support Team

by
Investigator

I've been testing iOS 11 since it's launch on the developer portal.

It's worth pointing out that neither 4G calling nor WiFi calling have been working (even on the Gold Master). Is this something EE is aware of and working to fix?

by
Grand Master

@themilkmen   It’s been working for me since the first beta.   Have you tried a network reset on the device?  And it might be worth call customer services and asking them to reset the service on your account. 

by
Investigator

thanks Chris I'll do that.

I wasn't sure about calling customer service as the software is in Beta and I didn't think they would help.

I'll give them a call if a network reset doesn't work

by
Grand Master

@themilkmen  You don’t need to mention it’s the beta as this should be working,  as it is for me throughout the summer with no issues at all.

by
Contributor

I Installed the GM (final) version of iOS 11 last week and had really liked the ability to view data usage within the settings app (Settings -> Mobile Data). However it seems to have vanished at the same time as my new plan has come into effect (same number).

Do I need a refresh?

by
Investigator

[ Edited ]

Hi Trono

I noticed this too.  As soon as EE enabled WiFi Calling/4G and sent a network refresh those settings disappeared from mine too.  It's a shame because because that was a really nice feature

by

Hi @Trono and @themilkmen

I am having this looked into.

Soon as I have any more information I will let you know.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Contributor

Lee_H wrote:

Many thanks,

Lee

@Lee_H That would be great, thanks!

by
Visitor

I noticed this disappeared today. Got a new set of carrier settings and it vanished Smiley Sad was a great tool to see where all my data was going 

by
Guest blogger

by
Contributor

Lee_H wrote:

Many thanks,

Lee

Any news on this @Lee_H?

by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

@Trono   I remember having this issue with one of the beaters and then the following day it all reappeared.  I’ve  not got it myself now on this public release.

@Lee_H  What’s the verdict?  I’ll keep

bugging you other wise Smiley Tongue

by

Hi @Trono

No news yet.

@Lee_H will update you once we have more information.

Thanks for your patience. Smiley Happy

Chris

by
Visitor

The carrier data usage function was working for me until a few days ago as well.  Now it doesn't.  Please can this be rectified, I thought it was a really good addtion.

Thanks.

by
Visitor

When I joined EE I was running the beta, and the first time I inserted the sim whilst on a temporary number I got the data usage/current billing period functionality. But when the port completed of my old number across it went away.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.