by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Apple Watch Series 4 - Scratch on day 4

Just got a new Series 4 Alu 44mm from EE... it's day 4 and I've managed to get a 0.75cm scratch on it with absolutely no recollection of any impact event. All I've done is get ready for work and commute. Didn't even touch it. Can't think what could have caused this. It would have to have been putting on my coat or something like that. Otherwise it should have been shielded by my shirt cuff.

I had no idea just how fragile the screen would be when it's not the sapphire glass. I am disappointed in this. I previously owned an original stainless steel model. They come with a sapphire glass screen which is less likely to get deep scratches. It tends to get hardly noticeable hairline scratches.

It doesn't seem right. Had I known, I would have bought a screen protector or case. Are others finding this issue? Is this to-be-expected? Are the models between the original and S4 just as soft-screened?

I think EE has made a mistake deciding not to offer stainless steel models. If they had I would have gotten one of those instead. They could end up with a lot of customer like me who are upset about a scratch occuring seemingly out of nowhere.

Whatever you do, get a screen protector or case for your Alu Apple Watch before you start to wear it. I have ordered a case now. It seems ridiculous that you need to put your watch in a protective case. I did not need this for the stainless steel model.

3 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Apple Watch Series 4 - Scratch on day 4

@mcnaugha  I’ve had my s1 for almost 2 years now and I wear it all the time and I’m  constantly putting this at risk of being scratched with the job that I do and as yet nothing has happened and I don’t use and sort of screen/watch protection.   The option to purchase what you did was up to you just like it was EEs choice not to sell the SS watch.  

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@mcnaugha  I’ve had my s1 for almost 2 years now and I wear it all the time and I’m  constantly putting this at risk of being scratched with the job that I do and as yet nothing has happened and I don’t use and sort of screen/watch protection.   The option to purchase what you did was up to you just like it was EEs choice not to sell the SS watch.  

Totally unconstructive, unnecessarily rude and disrespectful. My time has been completely wasted.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mcnaugha,

I'm sorry to hear your watch has been damaged.

I would recommend contacting Apple to discuss your repair options.

Thanks

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.