by leebarros Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Apple Watch Series 3 - Data Issue

Afternoon everyone!

I have received my Apple Watch Series 3 and have followed all the steps to activate it.

The watch is working as expected when connected to my iPhone 7 Plus. No issues there.

When I turn off Bluetooth or move out of range of my iPhone, the watch will not connect to the LTE/Data network.

I have been on the phone to tech support, online chat with tech support and done all the checks (software updates, checked that airplane mode was off, done several power downs and power ups, turned mobile data off and on again).

When I disable and enable mobile data on the watch, it does connect for about 15 seconds then cuts out again:

Watch 1.jpgWatch 2.jpgWatch 3.jpgWatch App.jpg

I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Any input would be appreciated 🙂

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: Apple Watch Series 3 - Data Issue

Managed to get this working, I had wrote out a long post detailing how I went about it but it seems to have been rejected by EE Community admins?

Anyway, long story short:

Removed data plan from the watch app, called EE and advised I had to call them (150) and an error code.

They reactivated the esim. I then unpaired the watch and left it for over 2 hours, repaired it as a new watch and hey presto! 🙂

23 REPLIES 23
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Join the queue- I think it's long as 150 won't even take calls anymore 🙂

I do like the smartwatch capabilites but LTE was my main driver to use it away from the phone - am wondering whether it's worth just calling it a day, sending it back and coming back in a few months once the powers that be have figured it all out. 

I say that, but if it's fixed soon I'll be hugging it HA!

Established Contributor

It’s a pain in the rear, one minute you think it’s working and next it’s not 😩.

Its not a cheap piece of kit either.

Ill keep this open for EE to reply to, as I’ve already made contact with them to try and fix this.

Established Contributor

Finally got it to work. I will detail the steps I took to get it working, however I’m not sure if this would work for you.

1) Remove the data plan in the Watch App.

2) Try and add a data plan in the Watch App, it should tell you to call EE on 150 with a code (mine was 019)

3) Call 150 and select Apple Watch Series 3 (option 2)

4) Advise caller you have a code to quote (from step 2). With my code (019) it meant I had to get activate the esim. They will ask you for your EID (on the watch choose Settings>General>About > EID). This is a long code so maybe best to write it down prior to calling to make sure it’s right.

5) The advisor put me on hold for a few minutes while they activated the esim. 

6) I was then advised to wait at least 30 mins. After the 30 minutes I was then advised to unpair the Apple Watch and leave it unpaired for 2 hours. I left mine switched off for this time.

After the 2 hours I paired the Apple Watch again and set it up as a new watch. After about 15 minutes of set up I now have a working Apple Watch connected to the data network 😃.F3EA9726-EF20-4574-A73D-7CD3E2A06C4E.pngData Plan Screenimage.jpgIt works!

Established Contributor
Solution

Managed to get this working, I had wrote out a long post detailing how I went about it but it seems to have been rejected by EE Community admins?

Anyway, long story short:

Removed data plan from the watch app, called EE and advised I had to call them (150) and an error code.

They reactivated the esim. I then unpaired the watch and left it for over 2 hours, repaired it as a new watch and hey presto! 🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for sharing this @leebarros

Pleased to hear you are all up and running 🙂

Thanks, Leanne.

Established Contributor

@Leanne_T You are welcome, not sure if this is a fix that would work for everyone but maybe pass this on to the technical team to test the scenario out? 🙂

by

I will certainly pass your feedback on @leebarros.

Thanks very much 🙂

Established Contributor

@Leanne_T Looks like im back to square one, the red X is showing again and no connectino to the Data network 😞

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @leebarros

I have sent a message to Kayleigh who will give you a call.

Many thanks,

Lee

by jdalton Investigator
Investigator

@leebarros

I was having the exact same issue as you for days after I got my watch. After multiple calls they did a DST escalation and after 24 hours it is now working (following an unpair and repair of the watch).

Stick with it. They will resolve it.....eventually.

by
EE Employee

Hi @jdalton

I'm glad you are now up and running 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@leebarros @jdalton

I had similar - watch was initially not working then it was after an eSIM reset  for a few weeks then I noticed last week it wasn't connecting in the gym.

Rang thorugh - had eSIM reset again, no joy (after 24 hours). Rang back and went through to Level 2, was on with them for about 40 mins, reset n/w settings, turned off devices etc, no joy. It got escalated. A couple of days later, received a text to unpair and pair again (over 4G not WiFi or BT) but to select as new deviuce not to restore from backup, did that the followng morning, the watch app displayed a message stating there was an error unpairing and I should erase settings on the watch itself, whilst keeping data plan, which I did so.  It worked straight away (after a delay of about 30 secs). Have tried it in a couple of places, have reception and am able to stream Music successfully.

Note: At home I have a weak 4G signal generally (hence I always use WiFi Calling) so I've noticed it's not a good test ground for me as the watch rarely picks up a signal. The antenna (screen) is too weak to pick up 4G if you are getting 1-2 bars of 4G on your phone.

by Norika Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I have been waiting for 3 days now to activate my watch. Soken to EE on 150 Monday and Tuesday and still nothing happened, still no data and no connection. What is the next step should I do?

thanks in advance

by

Hello there @Norika

Welcome to the community.

What did our customer service team advise?

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

by Norika Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Leanne_T

EE wasnt sure and put me through to the Apple team, advised just to wait as it can take up to a week to activate, that was on wednesday now its friday but still no connection not sure if the weekends included, anyhow I find this bizarre it can take this long with the latest technology?  

by

Hello there @Norika

Thanks for coming back to me.

I would give us another call on 150 to get this looked into further.

Let me know how you get on.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Norika Definitely call 150 again, I've not heard the one week line before, I'd ask for clarification.

What steps from previous posts have you tried already?

by Norika Investigator
Investigator

Hi @GMB

last spoke to them on Wednesday and was told to wait as it  is happening ! Hence I Haven’t  tryed anything else from above, but I got a feeling they are wrong it should not take this long 

by

Morning @Norika

Thanks for coming back here.

Please give us a call so we can help you get this up and running 🙂

Keep us updated if you can.

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions