by sideshowtob Investigator
Investigator

Apple Watch Cellular - with ESIM data plan question

Folks,

I am interested in buying an Apple Watch Series 4 Cellular.  My current phone is a SIM free iPhone XS Max bought direct from Apple.  My primary nano SIM is a corporate SIM (on EE) provided by by business.

I know that this cannot be used with the AW, but my question is if I opted for a secondary number using the ESIM capability of my iPhone, by signing up for a pay monthly deal with EE would this work alongside my corporate SIM for AW cellular functionality?

Everything I have read suggests technically this will work, as the watch can use the second data plan and receive calls on the secondary number.  Just wondering if I have missed anything else, as AW ownership seems to be fraught with caveats when using business SIMs.  I also want to use a 30 day rolling monthly contract initially, so that I don't tie myself into something that might not work.  So the second question would be, can I move from 30 day rolling plan to a 12/24 month contract easily, once I have proved it works?

Thanks in advance!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Re: Apple Watch Cellular - with ESIM data plan question

Hi @sideshowtob 

As far as i'm aware, it just has to be pay monthly and 30 day contracts count as pay monthly. 

Thanks, 
Martyn

6 REPLIES 6
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi @sideshowtob 

I have my personal sim connected to the esim and use the sim tray for my work sim.  I guess this is what you want to do.   I also have an apple watch series 4 LTE. 

Just a note, you can only have one number on WhatsApp, iMessage and Facetime.  

Thanks, 
Martyn

Investigator

Great thanks.  So your AW data plan is linked to the ESIM and not your business SIM right?

Are they both on EE or is your corp on one of the others?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi @sideshowtob 

Yes my Apple watch is linked to my personal number.  You will need to pay £5 a month to use 4g on your watch. 

My business sim is on a different network but as EE corporate doesn't support apple watch, it shouldn't be a problem.   If you go ahead, remove your business sim until the watch is operational. 

Thanks, 
Martyn

Investigator

Excellent.  Thank you so much!

Do you know if it make any difference if you have a 30 day, 12 month or 48 month contract?

I would like to try before I make a 12 month commitment.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Hi @sideshowtob 

As far as i'm aware, it just has to be pay monthly and 30 day contracts count as pay monthly. 

Thanks, 
Martyn

Highlighted
Investigator

Thanks.  That what I am hoping.  Appreciate the responses @martyn413 !

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.