by Robolovsky Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Anybody getting weird noises during calls?

Since upgrading our phones to iPhone 8 a few weeks back my wife and I experience intermittent odd sounds during phone calls. The sound could be compared to a metallic twanging sound which goes up and down in pitch, almost like someone is playing a weird synthesizer type instrument. The sound comes and goes during a call but not all calls are affected. Sometimes the sound becomes very loud and distorts out to such an extent that we have to pull the phone away from the ear. Oddly the person on the other end is unable to hear the sound even on speakerphone but can still hear the other one talking. We are at a complete loss as to what it could be so any help would be much appreciated. We previously both had an iPhone 5s and never had this problem.

22 REPLIES 22
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Anybody getting weird noises during calls?

Hi @Robolovsky Yes, it's a known issue by us on here, not seen anything official from EE yet though. There's more here. You can turn off 4g calling and wifi calling if you want to stop it, though you should report it to EE tech support and get it logged.

Established Contributor

Thanks Chistery. I have now read the other posts and it seems that the current concensus is that it is an Apple issue which is due to be fixed in a future update, Fingers crossed!

by Dejayem2112 Investigator
Investigator

My wife and I also have exactly the same issue, it’s only since we both upgraded to latest iPhones. Hers is an 8 and mine an Xr

We didn’t have this problem before the Xr came along , When it was a call between the 8 and  6, calls were perfect.

i can only think it is an Xr issue. 

Happens on vitually every call 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning and welcome to the community @Dejayem2112 :).

I am sorry to hear this is happening. 

Have you reported this to our technical care team?

Speak soon, 

Katie

Established Contributor

@Katie_B Reading through this thread it would appear that many people have contacted the tech team and they have not been able to assist. Not sure what good more of us contacting the team would do. The issue cleartly exists and is being experienced by numerous customers with iPhones from version 8 onwards. There is a theory that it is Apple's problem but it would be very helpful if a full investigation by EE could be instigated so that we can get to the bottom of this and start enjoying unninterrrupted calls again.

by

Hi @Robolovsky

Thanks for the feedback, getting this into our technical gurus will help us investigate this further. 

Katie 🙂

Established Contributor

@Katie_B Do you know what would be really useful? If the technical gurus would read threads like this and do their own investigation rather than putting the onus on us. I would say that there is more than enougfh information here to justify an investigation and, as customers, we should not be asked to waste our valuable time hanging on phone lines to report faults which, as you can read here, have not been helped by reporting them directly.

To further back-up my point, I used to be with Orange and subsequently merged into EE. We had a full signal here at home and then EE played around with the transmitters and the signal dropped to almost zero. I have repeatedly reported this problem directly to the 'gurus' and nothing has ever been done to correct the issue.

by

Hi @Robolovsky

Have you reported the issues at your home? you can do this on the Network Health Checker

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

Established Contributor

@Katie_B As I mentioned, I have repeatedly reported thie home signal problem directly to the 'gurus' and nothing has ever been done to correct the issue.

by

I have sent you a private message @Robolovsky

Please take a look and get back to me, 

Katie 🙂

Established Contributor

@Katie_B Incidentally the Network Health Checker shows a full 4G signal and a three bar 3G and 2G signal for my postcode. This is completely incorrect. I wish EE would send someone out to check this.

by KST Investigator
Investigator

My partner and I are also getting exactly this problem and it’s also since upgrading to the iPhone 8. Only happens between our phones - calls to my daughters each on iPhone 6s never any problem.  

Really irritating as as happens frequently. 

by

Hi and welcome to the community, @KST

Do you notice whether it's only when you call your partner or is it also when she calls you (or vice versa)?

Chris

Investigator

One of us gets the noise, doesn’t matter who calls who. 

Ive turned WiFi calling off, my wife already was off. This has made the occurrence less frequent but not stopped the noise altogether. 

Investigator

It seems it’s only a problem between newer iPhones on EE. 

My step daughter has an Xr on Vodafone calls to or from her have never generated this irritating noise. 

by

Hi @Dejayem2112.

Have you reported this to our technical care team?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by KST Investigator
Investigator

Hi Christopher. 

It it doesn’t matter who calls who and we both get the noises at different times but never both hear it at the same time. 

Thanks 

by KST Investigator
Investigator

@Christopher_G wrote:

Hi and welcome to the community, @KST

Do you notice whether it's only when you call your partner or is it also when she calls you (or vice versa)?

Chris

Hi Christopher. 

It it doesn’t matter who calls who and we both get the noises at different times but never both hear it at the same time. 

Thanks 

by

Hi @KST

Please notify our technical care team, they will be able to run diagnostics and raise a ticket if need be. 

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.