Highlighted
by
Former EE Community Manager

Stores to sell EE plans exclusively

EE has been growing at an amazing speed since we launched in October 2012. Earlier this month we announced that we ended 2014 with over 7.7 million customers on our 4G network, with 5 million joining in 2014 alone.

We want to bring 4G to as many people across the UK as possible, and our customers are almost exclusively choosing 4G plans on EE when they come to our stores. Because of the growth of the EE brand, in the coming weeks we will move to focusing solely on selling EE mobile, home broadband and TV plans in stores.

We’d like to reassure you that if you’re with us on an Orange or T-Mobile plan, you will continue to benefit from our award-winning network and receive the support you need in our 580 stores, our call centres and online. You do have the option of staying on your current plans, but when you’d like to upgrade we’ll offer you a wide range of EE plans to suit your needs. EE plans have 2G and 3G access, plus the added bonus of 4G in more than 80% of the country, with plans to reach 98% UK coverage by the end of the year.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Solution

Re: Stores to sell EE plans exclusively

Northerner wrote:

Hi Ed, 

Just a few questions Smiley Happy

• How many of those 5Million are upgrade customers from Tmobile/Orange? 
  • Does that figure include PAYG?
  • Are corporate clients counted as individual customers or are corporate accounts counted per handset (100 handsets = 100 new clients)? 

Lastly given all those additional accounts how has that impacted on the current EE mobile 4G network capacity? 

Thanks,

Hi @Northerner. Interesting set of questions! We don’t disclose answers to all of them, especially ahead of our financials, but I’ll help you where I can.

1 - This is something we don’t disclose. A significant proportion are upgrades. We find that the overhwhelming majority of people who reach the end of their contract who want to upgrade both stay with us and move to our Superfast 4G plans. For some, the free texts and calls are just as attractive as the advantages 4G connectivity brings!

2 - The figure does indeed include PAYG.

3 - We don’t actually disclose the number of corporate clients within that figure, but the overall figure that we give for our network is indeed in terms of connections.

4 - Good question. We are fortunate enough to hold a bigger spectrum portfolio than anyone else in the UK. This has been part of a longterm strategy for us – acquiring the right spectrum so that we can scale in an environment where we’re seeing a 600% increase in data.

This graph shows spectrum share against service revenue share, which is a nice way of comparing how much activity each operator is seeing. As you can see, our strategy gives us opportunity to scale in a way others can’t. Most of our 4G is across 1800Mhz spectrum, when we launched 4G we were using 10Mhz of 1800Mhz spectrum, and now we’ve doubled that across every 4G site to 20Mhz of 1800Mhz spectrum. Also, in London (our most active area) we’ve added a whole new 20Mhz of 2.6Ghz spectrum, so in effect we’ve actually quadrupled capacity (and we will keep doing so across the country). Because of this we are in a unique position where we actively want more customers and connections on our network, because we can do so without affecting the customer experience.

UGraph copy.jpg

15 REPLIES
by Legend
Legend

Ed_H wrote:

EE has been growing at an amazing speed since we launched in October 2012. Earlier this month we announced that we ended 2014 with over 7.7 million customers on our 4G network, with 5 million joining in 2014 alone.

Hi Ed, 

• Are corporate clients counted as individual customers or are corporate accounts counted per handset (100 handsets = 100 new clients)? 

Lastly given all those additional accounts how has that impacted on the current EE mobile 4G network capacity? 

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
Solution

Northerner wrote:

Hi Ed, 

Thanks,

Hi @Northerner. Interesting set of questions! We don’t disclose answers to all of them, especially ahead of our financials, but I’ll help you where I can.

1 - This is something we don’t disclose. A significant proportion are upgrades. We find that the overhwhelming majority of people who reach the end of their contract who want to upgrade both stay with us and move to our Superfast 4G plans. For some, the free texts and calls are just as attractive as the advantages 4G connectivity brings!

2 - The figure does indeed include PAYG.

3 - We don’t actually disclose the number of corporate clients within that figure, but the overall figure that we give for our network is indeed in terms of connections.

4 - Good question. We are fortunate enough to hold a bigger spectrum portfolio than anyone else in the UK. This has been part of a longterm strategy for us – acquiring the right spectrum so that we can scale in an environment where we’re seeing a 600% increase in data.

This graph shows spectrum share against service revenue share, which is a nice way of comparing how much activity each operator is seeing. As you can see, our strategy gives us opportunity to scale in a way others can’t. Most of our 4G is across 1800Mhz spectrum, when we launched 4G we were using 10Mhz of 1800Mhz spectrum, and now we’ve doubled that across every 4G site to 20Mhz of 1800Mhz spectrum. Also, in London (our most active area) we’ve added a whole new 20Mhz of 2.6Ghz spectrum, so in effect we’ve actually quadrupled capacity (and we will keep doing so across the country). Because of this we are in a unique position where we actively want more customers and connections on our network, because we can do so without affecting the customer experience.

UGraph copy.jpg

by Legend
Legend

WOW thanks very much for the additional info @Ed_H very interesting reading and for clarification of my questions especially on users. 

From the spectrum portfolio it would suggest the merger of 3 and O2 will create some major competition but the merger of say EE and BT will not really make any major difference to the spectrum share albeit BT will benefit more than EE. 

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by mdunster

In response to your statement you say that customers on Orange & T-mobile will have the option to remain on their existing tariffs however if upgrading they will be 'offered' a new tariff. When I contacted you last week to upgrade my two handsets which are on existing EE tariff's I was told EE would have to 'renegotiate' the tariff and that you no longer offered the tariff I am on (and the reason I joined EE in the first instance).
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can stay on your tariff if you don't upgrade to a new handset

If you want a new handset you will have to upgrade to EE.

Only way to stay on T-Mobile or Orange is to let it roll on.
Brendon

If you think I helped please take time to press the button below
Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile
0800 956 6000 (Option 5) from any other phone
0800 079 8586 Home Broadband & EE TV

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Not sure I understand this, are we saying the only way to get an EE plan when this is in place is in store?

Or is this just new/customer plans or is it changes to exsiting plans?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No they are stopping selling Orange and T-Mobile plans.

EE4G plans will be sold in store and online.

You just won't be able to join or upgrade with Orange or T-Mobile.

You will have to choose EE4G
Brendon

If you think I helped please take time to press the button below
Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile
0800 956 6000 (Option 5) from any other phone
0800 079 8586 Home Broadband & EE TV

by all-good-things Contributor
Contributor

I think this is great because a friend of mine (who suffers mental health problems and has impared ability to make decisions) walked into a EE high street store, picked the 4g phone he wanted, signed a contract and went home happy with what he thought was an brand new EE phone. It wasn't until 9 months later that his support workers discovered he was in fact on T-Mobile. 

Not only was he on T-Mobile, but he was on the most ridiculous plan (100 minutes for £29.99/month and only able to use 3g) that even EE store staff were baffled by and tied into a 24 month contract that T-Mobile refused to allow him switch to EE unless he paid a large fee that was beyond his means. He was unknowingly running up an average bill of £65/month and this only came to light when he had got himself into such extreme financial difficulties that he had was at serious risk of losing his home; thanks to the huge T-Mobile direct debits repeatedly taking him into unauthorised overdrafts (which incurred further charges), he had run up a debt of over £500 and his bank had frozen his account. 

His not being aware of having a T-Mobile contract was actually perfectly understandable: he was billed by EE, his phone said it was connected to an EE network and when I went with him to sign him up for EE home broadband & phone (in an attempt to save him some money), the sales assistant was also under the impression he was with EE, promising that once his broadband was installed, he would have 10GB of 4g data allowance added to his plan. 

I do very much hope that as part of this move to solely selling EE contracts you will also allow customers who are trapped on T-Mobile (or Orange) contracts to switch to EE - or at least consider it in circumstances like in my friend's case. Had he been paying the £29.99 to EE rather than T-Mobile, he would have been on a much better deal. Also, in my experience EE are helpful when you have a problem, T-Mobile on the other hand are not - rather than being lenient of making expections special circumstances, they seemed to be actively seeking to exploit his vulnerability.

The more EE contracts you sell, the better in my opinion! T-Mobile appear to be toxic, I'm glad there will be less chance for situations like this time happen in future.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

What a shocking state of affairs for your friend to find himself in.  Where was the customer care here?

by all-good-things Contributor
Contributor

There really was no customer care from T-Mobile.

EE store staff on the other hand were exceptional. We went to about 4 different EE stores trying to get him some help and I have to say the in store staff genuinely tried their utmost best to do whatever they could. They really did go above and beyond - probably not company policy but one member of staff added me on facebook so we could get in touch should there be any new developments/problems, another very sweet guy wanted to try and get my friend onto a contract using his employee discount. All the EE staff saw the injustice of the situation and passionately wanted to help but even the store managers were powerless to do anything.

I think EE have some genuinely fantastic employees, there was heartfelt concern and care there, they just seem to have their hands tied when it comes to T-Mobile (and I guess Orange). I think it's a very good thing that EE are slowly making changes and pulling away from T-Mobile.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@all-good-things 

Could you please send me a private message, I'd like to try and help your friend get this resolved.

Thank you.

by jbgeorge Contributor
Contributor

My only issue changing to EE is that i am on a Full Monty package and i use a lot of data but i wont get the same plan on EE.

and i am coming ot the end o fmy contract and i want to upgrade my phone and so i am going to be forced on to an EE plan..! 

this seems so unfair as you i wont get the same data on it so to me it makes EE4G plan bit of a con asi have no choice....???

other than that i have no issues with T-Mobile or EE 

by DanielM242 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

this is terrible news for customers. it now simply means we now have no cooling off period.

EE Super Slow Broadband https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAWxSiIqTL8&
Actually syncing at 76Mb. no line errors and 380 hours uptime. probably lack of capacity so they cap to 13mbps
by babylon1977

Hi,

I am on Orange and have always stuck to staying on Orange because teh contract I signed has given me Free Broadband at Home, fo as long as I stay on Orange and spend £30+ a month. 

So to continue getting something I was promised for Life can you confirm that if I then upgrade through EE this arrangement will continue? If not can i stay on my Orange contract indefinately?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @babylon1977.

This is a good question,.

Please can you call us on 150 the upgrades team will see what they can do for you.

It is an Orange offer so we could not say for definate best to call Smiley Happy

Thanks very much.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions