by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

signal box

Hi

I upgraded from an S6 to the Huawei Mate20 Pro. 

In the beginning my signal was awful. Constant dropped calls and very poor reception. After fighting with EE for about 16 months, I was ready to throw the towel in and move carriers. The enticed me to stay and sent me a signal box. All my problems were solved. Great reception and not 1 dropped call. Fast forward to the beginning of this year when I get the Huawei, I was getting the same dropped calls and poor reception.. EE and the community here advised using Wi-fi calling. So I did for a while, then I remembered why I didn't use it with the S6. It was crap. (my personal opinion only).

So I want to use my signal box, but the new phone doesn't seem to 'connect' to it. With the S6 I had full bars all the time. But now, I'm lucky if I get 2 (with poor quality calls), I'm pretty sure I asked EE to 'link' the Huawei to the signal box, but it still wont get the full bars..

Please, can anyone enlighten me 😐

Tracy

13 REPLIES 13
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: signal box

Hi @Dragon_ 

Welcome to the EE Community,

If you give the technical team a call on freephone 0800 956 3146 from a landline they will be able to help you trouble shoot your signal box.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

A land-line? Blimey. Haven't had one of those for a long time. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Dragon_  Or any other phone that works.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You don't need a landline to call an 0800 number: a mobile will do and it's free to boot.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dragon_  You don’t need to link a device to the signal box.  Any device in range of that box will pickup the 3G signal it out puts, if I was to walk past your home I could use the signal it outputs. It’s not locked to just your devices on your account. 

Have you set up your new device to use all or just 4G signals. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi..

Thanks for the replies..

I would use my mobile but as the signal is a bit unreliable, i'm reluctant.. Maybe I can use the chat thing...

I've just checked my phone and there is no option to choose 3G alone.. It's 4G/3G/2G auto only...

hmmm

Thanks for the replies guys 🤔

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dragon_ 

Have you tried searching the forums?

Both devices are different, they are made by different manufacturers and have different radio chips and antennas. They also have installed different firmware, so just because one has more "bars" than the other means anything. 

Your newer Huawei device might pick up EE 4G LTE signal, and thus this is why it's not connecting to the 3G signal box fully/at all, because it's interior signal. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Well, I'm not sure what happened between yesterday and today, but the Huawei now has full bars!!

Looks like it fixed itself.. (crossing fingers)

Thanks for the help!

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Spoke too soon..

After having full bars for a day and a half, we're back down to 1 or 2...

I'm at a loss

Tracy

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Dragon_,

As @Northerner said, your phone will prefer a 4G connection (when available) over the 3G connection from your signal box.

This means that your phone won't attempt to connect to the signal box if it's picking up a 4G signal.

WiFi Calling would be the best solution for you.

To activate it, connect your phone to WiFi and go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile network > WiFi Calling.

Thanks

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi James...

You know, this makes perfect sense.

Looks like my signal box is redundant...

Just a thought, will the phone use wi-fi calling when not receiving 4G? Or...

Thanks again

Tracy

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Dragon_

I do believe that is correct. 

If your phone is not receiving 4G and Wi-Fi Calling is available this is would come into effect. 

Thanks, 

Katie

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dragon_   Just enable WiFi calling from within the device settings and leave it on. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.