by nickroots2000 Investigator
Investigator

oreo 8.1

Why does EE refuse to allow my new Nokia 6.1 (2018) to update to Oreo 8.1. It was bought unlocked from Carphone Warehouse and is on the Android One programme so it should be a pure Android update with no need for interference from a carrier

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: oreo 8.1

Hi @nickroots2000

If your phone was purchased from CPW then EE are not responsible for your software upgrades and don't control them. 

CPW source their handsets from the EU, so you will receive updates when the area your phone was originally sourced receives updates.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

That's a new one!

CPW are the licensed distributor of the Nokia 6.1. My phone is a model TA-1050 which Inundertand to 

The net is awash with people who can't update Android One devices on EE! The issue is EE's not CPW

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @nickroots2000

The reason CPW can offer better deals is because of where they obtain their handsets. It's that simple.

Your handset isn't running EE firmware so isn't updated by EE but by Nokia direct.

EE firmware is different and this tends to be delayed because it needs to be tested on the handsets first to ensure there are no issues. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by craigomez Investigator
Investigator

hello ,

anything related to software has got nothing to do with EE

try running  a factory reset and then try to update your phone

best regards

craig

Investigator

So  the easy answer to this was to pick up a Three SIM in a newsagents for £1, pop in in the phone and just like magic it finds the 8.1 update. When finished I out the EE SIM back in and it works perfectly.

But that doesn't explain why EE other deliberately or through incompetence is so slow to let an update through.  

I guess it will be simpler to leave EE when my contact expires in a couple of months

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.