by boland53 Investigator
Investigator

my mobile data works but i cant make calls or send/receive texts

hi guys, i not long purchased a used samsung s6 (not edge) 

locked to ee, purchased and topped up the simcard and inserted to the phone.

Originally only got signal bars and no symbols....
checked and changed connection preferences: 2g/3g and now getting H with up and down arrows.

thought i solved the issue, turned off my wifi and can still use data. but tried to send a text and make a random call but the texts 'fail to send' and with phone calls 'conditional call forwarding active'

changed the Access Point Names... and still only getting H symbol but still unable to make or receive calls or send or receive texts. can any one help me please lol

12 REPLIES 12
by boland53 Investigator
Investigator

have internet but cant send or receive calls or texts

hi guys, i not long purchased a used samsung s6 (not edge) 

locked to ee, purchased and topped up the simcard and inserted to the phone.

Originally only got signal bars and no symbols....
checked and changed connection preferences: 2g/3g and now getting H with up and down arrows.

thought i solved the issue, turned off my wifi and can still use data. but tried to send a text and make a random call but the texts 'fail to send' and with phone calls 'conditional call forwarding active'

changed the Access Point Names... and still only getting H symbol but still unable to make or receive calls or send or receive texts. can any one help me please lol

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: have internet but cant send or receive calls or texts

Hello @boland53 sorry to hear you are having trouble using your new phone. The APN settings are for data only and do not normally affect calls/SMS text messages so you can disregard those for now. Try tapping settings>back up & reset then selecting reset network settings to refresh your phone/connection (you will have to re-enter WiFi passwords after). Let me know how you get on. 🙂 

by
EE Community Support Team

Re: my mobile data works but i cant make calls or send/receive texts

Hi @boland53,

Welcome to the EE Community.

When did you first insert your new SIM?

It can take up to 24 hours for all services to activate.

Thanks

James

by boland53 Investigator
Investigator

i tried this and no, still have the same issue i'm afraid to say. i even restarted my phone.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @boland53 sorry it is still not working. As @James_B mentioned new SIM cards can take up to 24hrs to fully activate. How long has it been so far? Could you try the SIM in another phone and see if it works then? 🙂

by boland53 Investigator
Investigator

Re: my mobile data works but i cant make calls or send/receive texts

i had the sim card it self in an iphone (unlocked) for about weeks but only topped it up yday (friday 31 april) when i placed the simcard in to the samsung s6 that is locked to EE
by boland53 Investigator
Investigator

yes. the sim works in my unlocked iphone. but that is the phone im getting rid of and this samsung is locked on EE. im currently on giffgaff and moving over to orange. well trying lol
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @boland53 just to confirm text messages send when the SIM card is in your iPhone but not in your S6? Is this an EE SIM

card or an Orange SIM card? If you are not sure you can text the code NUMBER to 150 which will tell you. 🙂

by boland53 Investigator
Investigator

yes. it is an EE simcard. and yes. it works in my iphone but internet only on my Samsung S6. cant even dial 150. only thing i can do is use *# commands/codes
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @boland53 thank you for confirming. More than likely you have a device fault if the SIM card works fine in another phone. Since a network reset did not work try backing up any data you want to keep, resettting the phone to factory settings then testing it as a clean install. If this solves it you can then reload the backed up data and should be up and running as normal. 🙂 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@boland53, are you trying to use your giffgaff sim card in your new phone? Then it will not work, as it is locked to EE. Or is this an EE sim card that you are putting in your phone?

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @boland53

Are you still experiencing any issues?

So I can try and assist if you are, please may I know where you purchased the device from?

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.