by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

missing ram

hi, I have an old old san francisco II phone, which im planning to use an ee sim card in.

The spec says phone should have 500 Mb ram

but when i look at applications/storage display, the nternal storage section says 131 mb used, and 32 mb free ..... so not really enough room to download any reasonable sizes apps Doesnt seem to be anything meaty running just a load of small out of box orange apps. Am I missing something ... apart from about 340 mb ???

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: missing ram

The rest is the OS.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

not sure its as simple as that..

if I look at my running apps and delete one, say maps, the used changes to around 80-90, and unused goes up over 300. This would be ample to download messenger say, but as soon as it starts to install i get insufficient storage again,  and its reverted to 131 used 31 free.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gws1  You can put upto a 16GB microSD card in the device to acquire more storage.  

by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

already got an sd micro in there, with plenty of space, and facebook moved to there previously, but wont even let me open it due to .......insufficient storage.

something weird going on with RAM, as described above.

dont understand why any deleted process seems to free up all the free internal memory, but any activity to use RAM send the total back down to 164 mb ( 32 ish free)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gws1  Have you tried to reset the device back to factory settings?  

by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

No, but I wouldn’t know how to of the top of my head.
Any advice appreciated.
thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for help so far, going to have to leave till tomoro now.
Tried reset, which seemed to work, altho didn’t install app store so couldn’t download anything to try.
It did seem to change the ratio from 33 used to 134 spare, but still not the full 400 plus I got by deleting an app. yep just tried that again and now 93 used 310 free.
Just loaded internet access and back to 33 used and 129 free

by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

Ok, now reset ive it a second time.

Spent a day tracking down a version of play.store that runs on android 2.3.5

So I could download facebook and WhatsApp

Moved facebook onto sd card

Tried to open facebook and failed due to .... insufficient storage space

Internal now 162mb used 104k free

RAM 103mb used 312 mb free( I misread this before, so deleting an app did not temporarily fix prob)

So unless someone can solve the lack of internal storage ...... I think the san Francisco phone is destined for the bin. Im sure when this was my phone it was driving facebook and a good few other apps with no problem at all.

Do you think it could actually be a hardware issue with the internal memory ?.

Im sure this has only started happening since I had to unlock the phone from the orange network. When I followed the instructions to unlock it, only the first stage seemed to work (on a giff gaff sim) and it was suggested I try a vodafone one instead.... but when I installed it, the phone didnt request any action and is showing a 3g network.

Any ideas ?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @gws1,

It could be cached data from apps or your web browser that is using the memory.

Unfortunately, you are going to struggle running newer apps with only 512MB of internal memory.

Thanks

James

by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

Hmmm, the phone was working fine when it was my current mobile a year or so ago. It has has two factory resets, since unlock arrempts, and i have only installed store, facebook(on sd), and whatsapp.
So should be minimal used cache,as not even been able to open fb
Its showing <140 mb for total internal memory.
Something not right somewhere
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gws1. Have you tried re-formatting  the SD card.   I know this is not the issue but if the ram is trying to do something with the SD card. 

by gws1 Investigator
Investigator

Ive unloaded and removed sd card, tried a restart but just get lot of messages from background tasks, saying not enough room.
Just trying a final factory reset with sd card out . just come back with same 130mb free internal, which would rapidly disappear when any apps loaded.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.