by podgiesdad
Explorer

just joined EE ...need to use new sim are contacts secure when I put itin galaxy

Hi...just joined EE...my BT sim is now dead...do I simply put new EE sim in Galaxy ..will the contacts be secure

24 REPLIES 24
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: just joined EE ...need to use new sim are contacts secure when I put itin ga

Hello @podgiesdad,

Welcome to the community,

Is your mobile phone new from EE? You say your BT sim is dead, was your phone used with BT sim previously? If so, it would have to be unlocked to work with EE SIM card, if on the other hand, you have a new one with EE, then your BT SIM card will not work. 

Not sure why you would worry about your contacts, as you will need them on your phone to make calls or send text and would otherwise have to put the number in manually. 

The contacts are as secure as with other companies, not sure what you are worried about, as you are the one, who has access to the phone, so yes should be secure, not had a problem and have been with EE, previously Orange for over 21 years nearly 22 years.

by podgiesdad
Explorer

Re: just joined EE ...need to use new sim are contacts secure when I put itin ga

Thanks for reply...
All is well...put simple in and it's all well.

Not lost any contacts..
Thanks
by
EE Employee

Glad you are sorted @podgiesdad

Many thanks,

Lee​​​​​​​

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@podgiesdad, thank you for letting us know, glad all is ok and you are up and running.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Schockwave Can you not use a EE sim in a BT bought phone or visa versa.

BT do use the EE network

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Not as far as I know, as BT and EE although have merged, you would still need the phones unlocked for it to work. If would be the same with an Orange or T-Mobile phone.

@Lee_H@Karen_C, correct me if I am wrong.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

BT Mobile came back out into play after the merger though

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Employee

Thanks for flagging @Schockwave

As far as I'm aware you can use a BT SIM in an EE phone and vice versa but I will double check this!

I'll be back soon!

Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@podgiesdad wrote:
Not lost any contacts..

That's cuz your contacts are stored on the phone & not on the SIM. You can store them in either place.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi Everyone,

I've just had confirmation back that BT SIM's can be used in EE devices and vice versa - with no need to unlock the phone or device.

Hope this clears things up!

Thanks - Karen. Woman Happy

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thank you @Karen_C for the confirmation, is good to know, especially for anyone, who wishes to use either a locked phone from BT or EE, they can use the SIM cards without having to have the phones unlocks.🙂👍

by
EE Employee

by BDH Investigator
Investigator

Hi Karen

Having read your post, Ive just purchased an iPhone 5 locked to EE with intension of using my BT contract sim in it

Well I can assure you it doesnt work... 

I'm now in the situation of having to wait 10 days for an unlock code thats also costing me £8.99

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BDH,

Welcome to the EE Community.

You should be able to use your BT SIM in an EE handset without any issues.

What error message do you see when trying to use your BT SIM?

Could the phone be blacklisted?

Is it definitely locked to EE and not Orange for example?

Thanks

James

by BDH Investigator
Investigator

Hi James, thanks for the reply

It works with an EE sim (so not blacklisted)

When I try the BT contract sim, it says 'sim not supported'

Definitly locked to EE - Settings - Carrier EE 27.2

by

Hi @BDH,

Have you tried restoring your iPhone in iTunes?

Thanks

James

by BDH Investigator
Investigator

Try that now...

by

Thanks @BDH

I would leave your BT SIM in the phone for a few hours after the restore to see if your carrier settings update.

- James

by BDH Investigator
Investigator

@James

No mate just the same... it updated the carrier settings as part of the restore

Sim not supported

The sim card that you currently have in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.