Highlighted
by RichieWhy Investigator
Investigator

iMessage still not reaching Android after deregistering

Hi - I've very recently moved from an iPhone 6 to a P20 Pro (new sim, same number) and initially kept receiving imessages on the 6 even with its deactivated SIM. After doing some research I realised this was because I hadn't deregistered iMessage and my 6 was receiving them via WiFi.  So I reinserted my new SIM to the 6, disconnected WiFi and deregistered iMessage/facetime while connected to the EE network.

However 3 issues seem to remain :

- my iPhone contacts appear to have to send me an iMessage which now fails to deliver and then resend it as SMS when it does so.  Will every iPhone contact have to do this manual resend to ensure i receive future messages as SMS i.e. the imessages are not automatically rerouted?

- does their connection to WIFI affect the above step?

- i ask as my wife while connected to our WiFi didn't get 'failed to send' on her imessages to me. She had to disconnect from Wifi, send the iMessage via EE 4G to get the failure and then resend as SMS. 

Does this all mean I have to both rely on each of my iPhone contacts being off WIFI and manually resending an initial iMessage as SMS for it to work going forward? Feels like still a big risk of missed messages

Thanks 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: iMessage still not reaching Android after deregistering

Hi @RichieWhy,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Did you follow Apple's deregister iMessage guide?

I believe other iPhones should automatically default to sending you messages via SMS once you are fully deregistered.

Thanks

James

7 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@RichieWhy  Is the sender sending the iMessage to your number or your email address as iMessage can send via one or the other ?  the senders iPhone will have to learn to send the message to your number and not your email address and this process can take awhile.  The sender can make sure your number is selected each time they send the message so it goes to your new device as a SMS.   

Investigator

Hi Chris - thanks again for the quick response!

The messages were to my number.  I think really my initial query was confirmation that for me to receive messages from my iPhone contacts going forward I have to wait for them to send me an iMessage, observe the failure of this message and then select resend as SMS.  This will 'learn' their iPhone going forward.

The follow up was whether the above process has to be done disconnected from WiFi ie. Specifically on their carrier network? as based on my wife's example, while she was connected to WiFi and sending imessages to me she received no failure notification and hence wouldn't know they needed to go as SMS

thanks

by
Solution

Hi @RichieWhy,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Did you follow Apple's deregister iMessage guide?

I believe other iPhones should automatically default to sending you messages via SMS once you are fully deregistered.

Thanks

James

Investigator

@James_B @Chris_B hi both thanks very much for your quick responses. As noted James I can now see on friends iphones the auto default to SMS so looks like the deregistration has taken effect

Apologies for any ignorance 😀

by

No problem @RichieWhy, no need to apologise!

It sounds like it might have taken a little time for the deregistration to take effect.

James

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@James_B @RichieWhy: I had a recent problem when I moved from iPhone to Android.

I contacted Apple support who advised me that it can take up to 24 hours for all iPhones around the world to recognise that a number had been deregistered. Smiley Happy

by

Thanks for sharing @Inyourbox Smiley Happy

I thought that might be the case.

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.