by Jenniferdale187 Investigator
Investigator

how can I tell if my phone has been reported as lost or stolen?

Hi long story short my now ex-boyfriends brought me a new phone from an ee shop back in 2015 as a xmas present. All was good but our relationship ended. The phone has been working fine up until last friday 5 may 2017. I was on the way to birmingham to get a train to london. I went to use my phone to go online to check my facebook.  However when I did it would not connect. Thinking there maybe a problem I tried to call ee on 150. That was when my phone informed me that I am not connected to any network. Which is strange as that morning it was working fine.

I popped into the ee branch in birmingham to get it checked and they say my sim is fine but the phone is not working with any sim (they tried 3 different sim cards). This also meant that I had not working phone and had to purchase a pay as you go phone to put my sim in as needed it for contacting my friends who I was off to see. I am wondering after reading a few stories online wether my ex may have reported the phone lost or stolen and that is why what happened above happened?

I know he purchased the phone via an ee shop but that is really all I can tell you. I did read that if I provide the imei of the phone that it can be checked to see if it is lost/ stolen or possibly black listed what ever that is as not sure. Hope you can help me. Im ok for a phone as said purchased a new one but trying to understand what has happened to my other phone.

Thanks in advance

Jennifer.

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: how can I tell if my phone has been reported as lost or stolen?

@Jenniferdale187  It does like it's been reported lost so it could of been blocked.   This can only be done if EE have been told the IMEI number of the device and by the account holder of the device so if the device was purchased in his name and an account was setup in his name he could get it blocked.  But if this device was a present to you then your ex has no right legally to get it blocked as the device was given to you as a present and so is legally yours.    If you call customer services you can ask if it's been blocked and explain to them the situation you should be able to request that the device be unblocked.  To get the IMEI number of the device on the dial keypad dial *#06#. It will then show you the IMEI number of the device.   Good luck with this and I hope you get it resolved.  

by
EE Employee

Hi @Jenniferdale187 and welcome to the Community.

@Chris_B is certainly right, customer services will be able to check the blacklisting tool.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thanks everyone and will certainly give them a call tomorrow. Did not know that I could request it be unblocked as it was a present. I just wanted to check to see if it had been and from what you have told me it sounds likely. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @Jenniferdale187.

Let us know how you get on after speaking to our customer service team 🙂

Have a good day!

Investigator

Hi. I talked to customer services who confirmed that my phone had been reported as stolen. It was reported by the person who brought the phone (my ex). It was reported on the same day I was attending an event in london. As it was brought via a contract it cant be unblocked. I explained fully to them what had happened. They have noted all this on my account. Just in case anything else happens. Its been more of an inconvenience than anything else. But I think it has put me off ever accepting a phone as a present again. Thanks all for suggestions.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Jenniferdale187 and welcome to the Community.

Is the contract in your name or your ex partners?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Unfortunately as far as I was told in my ex partners he must have got it through a contract he took out himself but sent me the phone as a xmas present or at least that is what I assume. As I was told that the phone was attached to a contract. Hence why it can be unblocked and is now just a useless paperweight as it cant be reconnected to any network.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Jenniferdale187.

I am sorry this cannot be unblocked.

If this was attached to a contract the customer service team could only unblock this for the account holder.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Jenniferdale187 It is frustrating that your ex has resorted to such cheap and petty tactics to get one up on you and I hope you haven't given him any satisfaction by contacting him.

You could sell the phone for spares or recycle it I guess, any thoughts on what you plan to replace it with?  It's a bad time to buy a new phone IMO due to the Pixel and iPhone being over half way through their release cycles unless you get something cheap to tide you over until then.

Investigator

Well seems to be the way of attempting to get at me but rising above it. I did get me another samsung phone to replace the one reported as I do like the samsung phone. Just hope that no-one else has to go through the same thing that I have and at least now I have a working phone that he cant do anything to. Thanks for all the replies from everyone this communtity rocks:)
by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

🙂 Glad you got yourself sorted out 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.