by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Xperia 1 - Wifi calling support? - When ?

Hi, 

I've just got the excellent Xperia 1 (what a phone! impressive).

Currently, the latest Sony to support Wifi Calling is Xperia 10.

Can you confirm that the Xperia 1 will also be added to the Wifi calling support list and if so, when?

Thank you

Tony.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: Xperia 1 - Wifi calling support? - When ?

Great news, as expected, the Xperia 1 indirect does support EE Wifi Calling.

After chatting with Sony support, I called EE yesterday asking to enable the Wifi Calling. After some discussion (some in previous post) I was told that the phone does not support Wifi calling. I asked them to turn off wifi calling and back on again, which they kindly did (received an EE txt confirmation that Wifi calling was enabled). At that point of time, still no Wifi Calling setting on the phone.

This morning, I got a message on my phone telling me that an "Operator Network Upgrade" needed to be installed and asked to restart the phone.

Once the phone restarted, I checked the Phone app->settings->calls.

I now have a "wifi calling" line which "magically appeared (as Sony's support said).

I can now toggle Wifi calling on (off by default)... (For info, I am on the UK Customised (ie generic) firmware latest version (v .278).

Great news indeed, I can now use the EE wifi calling again on my new Xperia 1.

Thanks all.

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Happytoon  It’s not about being added to a list it’s about the device supporting the feature to start with.  WiFi calling can only be enabled not added to a device.    If the device supports the feature it’ll be on it now. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

OK, thanks Chris. 

I rephrase, mobile devices are tested by EE prior being sold on the network. Surely WiFi calling (one of your key EE feature) is on the requirement list with the manufacturer? From your discussion with Sony, 

when are you expecting the Xperia 1 to support WiFi calling (as all other xperia devices. Support it)? Thanks. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Happytoon   I don’t work for EE and it’s up to the manufacturer on what they build into a device it’s their device.  There are no you must have this or that in the device.  

Where did you get the device from ?  

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Have you tried turning it on in your Phone/Dialler settings? 

It would be unusual for a current flagship not to support VoWIFI .

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Happytoon,

Did you purchase your phone from EE?

Thanks

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

My phone is from (CW sim free) , hence indirect.

According to your list of compatible devices, most recent xperia support WiFi calling for direct and indirect phones.

I know a few years back. Only direct phone supported it as thus was enabled in the EE customised firmware (at the time I had to flash my XZ Premium (also CW) with an EE firmware to get WiFi calling...

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Each UK network gets a customised firmware from Sony in which they decide to include features or not. (wifi calling was one such feature with the XZ Premium, enabled in EE firmware (direct) but not UK generic firmware (indirect)) 

Then EE test the device with the EE customised firmware to make sure all network features are supported. 

For most recent Xperia WiFi calling seems to be enabled for both Direct and Indirect.

I check my setting and can't see any WiFi calling option in my phone (not in dialler settings) 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Happytoon  I know how Android gets its features but just because a feature was on one device it doesn’t mean it’s on all devices after.     If the option to not turn on the feature is not already available within the device  then I doubt the device will get it as it’s now a standard feature when first settings up a new device.  

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Chris, 

I contacted Sony support who confirmed that all their latest devices have Wifi Calling in the UK generic firmware, the Setting is simply hidden and need to be enabled from the operator side.

They confirmed that once the Network has activated the feature, a Wifi Calling switch will appear in the Phone app -> Settings -> Calls -> Wifi Calling.

This seems to be confirmed by EE wifi calling list as all latest SonyXperia are Wifi compatible direct AND indirect. The Xperia 1 is not yet listed as this is a brand new phone. Perhaps things are not ready on the network side for the Xperia 1?

This is indeed what happened in the past with my XZ Premium whereas after EE did something on the network, I then rebooted my phone (without a sim first and then with the Sim). I then got a "Sim Network update" notification and the Wifi-Calling line magically appeared in the Phone dialler app-> settings -> calls-> wifi calling...

Any chance we could do the same on the Xperia 1 and get a "SIM network Upgrade" notification again?

OR is this a "scam" to make sure that people buy their Sony phone "direct" from EE rather than somewhere else (sadly EE didn't do the Headphone pre-order offer).  I always buy my phone Sim free so that I have a cheaper sim only contract.

Personally, I doubt this is a scam as I have been a long term EE customer and all latest Xperia phone are listed as Wifi Calling compatible Direct AND indirect... (Xperia 1 is not yet listed).

Calling all Xperia 1 users. Is there any Xperia 1 user who can use/set Wifi Calling on EE. If so (or not), please do share your experience...

Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Happytoon   Not being on the list just means the list hasn’t been updated nothing else.

Have you called customer services about this ?  and any advertising about the device has to come from EE has to be correct or it’s called false advertising and that in itself is illegal.  

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Chris, 

Indeed, not being in the list simply means the list is not up to date.

This is what I tried to explain to the EE customer support lady who kept telling me that the phone is not compatible as it is not listed (even "direct" is not listed, does that means the the EE Xperia 1 is not compatible either ???) anyway, I could not convince her that since the phone was brand new, it is to be expected that it is not listed yet!

Following the previous trend on Xperia since the XZ1, I would expect that the Xperia 1 will be listed as wifi compatible Direct and Indirect.

Sony claims their phone fully support Wifi Calling

Carephone Warehouse advertised that the phone is fully wifi calling compatible (online and in shops)...

Only EE mentions that the xperia 1 is not compatible (if I were to believe the EE support lady this morning).

Something doesn't add up somewhere...

Time will tell with more Xperia 1 users (a fantastic phone BTW).

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

End of the day you didn't buy the phone from EE so EE doesn't have to offer you all services.

It is not compatible and the EE support staff will not have any idea when it will become compatible.

You are either going to have to flash the EE firmware or just wait.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Happytoon   Customer services have nothing to do with that list and only go by that list.   There response will be, it’s not listed so no it not compatible and if it was compatible it has to come from EE as that is all they can say until the list is corrected for that device that’s if that device is compatible with the service.   

@James_B can you please look in to this for @Happytoon  

Thanks 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Indeed, EE provides services to me via my sim card, independently of the phone I am using, a service I pay for in my monthly payment. I am not paying the service for my phone, I am paying services for my SIM.

If only EE phones are compatible, then this is forcing customers to buy the phone (sim free) at EE rather than anywhere else and that would be monopolistic!

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It is a service EE provides not the phone itself.

There is a list stating (which you have seen) which phones are compatible and they state indirect or direct or both.

You ar paying EE for a service and you are receiving that service. WiFi calling is NOT part of the contract.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Happytoon   EE is under no obligation to provide a free service to anyone especially if they don’t get the device directly from EE.    WiFi calling is not part of your contract it’s a service provided by EE providing your device and EE supports that device.  

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Great news, as expected, the Xperia 1 indirect does support EE Wifi Calling.

After chatting with Sony support, I called EE yesterday asking to enable the Wifi Calling. After some discussion (some in previous post) I was told that the phone does not support Wifi calling. I asked them to turn off wifi calling and back on again, which they kindly did (received an EE txt confirmation that Wifi calling was enabled). At that point of time, still no Wifi Calling setting on the phone.

This morning, I got a message on my phone telling me that an "Operator Network Upgrade" needed to be installed and asked to restart the phone.

Once the phone restarted, I checked the Phone app->settings->calls.

I now have a "wifi calling" line which "magically appeared (as Sony's support said).

I can now toggle Wifi calling on (off by default)... (For info, I am on the UK Customised (ie generic) firmware latest version (v .278).

Great news indeed, I can now use the EE wifi calling again on my new Xperia 1.

Thanks all.

by HappyFace Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,

Sony always add features to their "Open Market" handsets in the 1st Maintenance release after launch.  Their "Operator" builds have these features for launch and once they are live they port the extra features to the other build.   One of the disadvantages of CPW handsets i guess for the 1st few weeks.

H

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.