by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Wrong 'My number' on phone

We got two new Samsung Galaxy J4+ phones this week.  Mine seems to be fine but the wife's isn't.

On the 'My number' bit in contacts, and in settings/about phone, it shows the wrong number. Seems it's one that was allocated to my account a long time ago, but the wife has had the same number for years, never this one that's showing.

The SIM from her previous phone was transferred to this new one, it was just a contract upgrade not a new customer. 

Anyway, called tech support, then Samsung. We've done a full factory reset and it's still showing the wrong number. However, making calls and sending texts are showing her proper number at the far end. 

We are told (in case anyone else is looking) that a Samsung phone grabs the first number it ever gets and uses that.  I'm not altogether happy at that as a solution as 1) I've no idea where it got the number from it's using and 2) there must be a way (SIM update?) to change a number...? 

Not wanting to start digging too deep with tech support so close to Christmas as she works as a home carer and is working every day, she can't do without a working phone. 

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before? Any ideas how to change it.

:: Fibre Plus Broadband & EE TV + Essential Plan 500MB
8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Wrong 'My number' on phone

@Gordon57  Have you tired just restarting the device as this is what your supposed to do when a number swaps on a SIM card. 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

All you need to do is ring EE back (hopefully getting someone who knows what they are doing; which is not often with EE these days) and asking them to perform a network refresh for you.

That will update the mobile number within your handset settings to match the number on your SIM card.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Chris_B- Yes, it's been restarted a few times, had the SIM taken out and put back in.

@Profile closed EE did a reset, had to turn the phone off and back on. Not sure what type of reset, they didn't say.

It seems that the number on the SIM is correct as that's what is being used to use the phone, it's just the one on the phone itself that isn't right. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Gordon57

I am sorry to hear a reset has not resolved this. 

Have you notified our technical team that this is still on going?

Do you know if a refresh was performed?

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Katie_B wrote:

Good Morning @Gordon57

I am sorry to hear a reset has not resolved this. 

Have you notified our technical team that this is still on going?

Do you know if a refresh was performed?

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

Hi @Katie_B

The lady I spoke to in Ireland had checked with 'level 2' and said that as long as the phone was working OK we should be fine.  All calls and texts are now showing the correct number, it's just the one on the phone itself that's incorrect.

She told me that this is an issue with Samsung phones, they retain the first number they are given ??? 

It's a new phone, supplied without a SIM. Wife just moved her SIM from her old phone to the new one, it should have picked up her proper number form that. 

She is working all though the season as a home carer so we don't want to do anything now that could leave her without a hpone for days if something causes it to lock up or something.

It's not a major issue now, but was when the calling number was incorrect of course. 

We will have to leave it until after the holidays now before doing anything else, mainly because the phone will be with her at work so much.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Gordon57

Thank you for confirming this. 

I would recommend after the holidays to give us a call so we can take a further look. 

Have a lovely Christmas!

Katie 🙂

by Graeme2812 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

"Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before? Any ideas how to change it."

No idea how to change it, and i've had this on a couple of Samsung phones now. Both phones were also registred as new and un-used (I saw them coming out of the box). I've never had any issues with the wrong number saved.

Apparently it's to do with when the handset first registers the number asigned to the sim before it <sim and handset> are registered to your current number.

This link might help... https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smartphones-Tablets-Wearables/Incorrect-Phone-Number-in-About-De...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

• You can EDIT your no. in Contacts yourself.
  • Your no. in About Phone can't be changed but it doesn't matter. My Samsung says UNKNOWN.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.