by Chewmyr00t Investigator
Investigator

With the announcement that Huawei phones will now be blocked from Android apps..

With the announcement that Huawei phones will be blocked from Google, Android apps and security features by 21st August 2019 for existing mobile phones, will EE honour replacement handsets in return? I have only owned my P30 for 2 months out of a 24 month contract and do not wish to be penalised for the remainder. Had I known this information previously, I would have opted for the Samsung Galaxy S10. 

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: With the announcement that Huawei phones will now be blocked from Android ap

@Chewmyr00t   EE is not responsible for this and EE is proving its side of the contract to you. And device updates are not part of your contract with EE.  

Investigator

Re: With the announcement that Huawei phones will now be blocked from Android ap

I would argue that you are incorrect. The consumer rights act still stands. It's easy for any company to simply ignore responsibility, however, the fact of the matter is, I have been sold an item which will not function correctly as advertised at the time of the sale. For EE not to honour (no pun intended) replacement is like buying a car with a care package from a dealer. You get it home and within a couple of months it starts running on 3 cylinders instead of 4. It still starts and runs and can get you from A to B but not as efficiently, it performs like a bag of sh! t and the care package doesn't cover it. Would you continue yo blindly run that inadequate vehicle? No! No you would not. You would take it back and demand it was fixed. In the case that it's something that cannot be fixed, you would receive a replacement. Why is this scenario any different? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chewmyr00t   Does the device make and receive calls ?   Is the device faulty in any way ? Not be able to use certain applications doesn’t mean the device is faulty, your contract with EE doesn’t cover the use of applications. Under consumer law it’s not faulty.    It’s to early to say what will happen and what EE will do (if anything)  in a month time this could all change any google might be allowed to support the device again. 

Investigator

Not yet, however, with the impending loss of functionality, security issues and inability to operate as originally advertised, it entrlirely warrants replacement. Imagine your new car running on 3 cylinders then being told, well, unfortunately you can no longer use main routes and motorways but there are alternative routes that aren't as efficient. The wheels still go round so its not our problem?!?! Your response is simply outrageous. And don't say its not EE, because it is. They sold me it (not Huawei) and continue to take my cash for something that won't work as advertised. So the simple answer to your question of does it still work, is no, not as originally advertised. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chewmyr00t   A car that working on 3 cylinders will obviously have implications to the car and the warranty of that car will cover this.

The warranty of the device hasn’t changed.  The warranty of the device doesn’t cover the usage of apps.  The device still has no issues that could be classified as a fault and any faulty device will only be fixed ( as the car would) or replaced under warranty.  EE is proving the service that you agreed to when you agreed to the contract. Your contract with EE doesn’t cover apps that might or will not work  in the future.  If you go by that rule any device that is no longer supported by updates or app updates should be getting there money back also.  

Investigator

Wrong. This is why providers have minimum term contracts. Contract prices vary due to the phone selected. This is to ensure the cost of the phone is covered. Once that contract period is complete, you are free to leave. Whether you choose to remain and continue to pay for an unsupported device is personal preference, however, devices are supported throughout the contract period. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chewmyr00t  And your contract with EE doesn’t cover the software or apps on the device it also doesn’t cover app updates or device updates.   The contract that you agreed to was for calls/texts and data at a set amount per month until them minimum term.  Under consumer law if the device is faulty in the first 6 months you are entitled to a device replacement or fix. After 6 months it’s down to you to provide a independent report to prove the device was faulty when you received it. But as the device is not faulty and there is nothing wrong with it what are you expecting. Consumer law doesn’t cover working devices that are no longer getting updates.  

As I said it’s to early to say what will happen as this could all change.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Chewmyr00t,

Google has confirmed that services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.

Huawei has also confirmed that existing customers will continue to receive security updates and after sales service.

You can read Huawei’s statement, as well as their further updates to follow, at https://twitter.com/HuaweiMobileUK/status/1130424908767481856.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.