by Island_Lass Contributor
Contributor

Will my Sony Xperia X Compact connect to EE 4G800?

Evening all,

I've been using Vodafone at home (Outer Hebrides) for years and has always had the best coverage (1-2 bars phone coverage, no mobile Internet to speak of), but EE have been putting up masts recently and several visitors have commented on the fact they can get 4G and good signal in our house.

I decided to get an EE sim only pay monthly and couldn't wait to be connected to the outside world. However, after installing the SIM into my Xperia X Compact I get NO signal whatsoever in the house. Yet a friend's phone, also on EE sitting right next to mine - no problem, 2-3 bars and 4G. The SIM is working in my phone as if I drive a little down the road, I get coverage. But I do not understand why I'm not getting the same coverage as my friends at home.

After speaking with EE tech twice on the phone and Sony tech once (who convinced me to completely wipe my phone and do a software repair, which hasn't changed anything), EE tech came up with a reason - as I'm in a rural location, the mast will be broadcasting in 800mhz and my Xperia X Compact cannot connect to / does not have a 4g 800mhz capability.

Great, I said, that solves that one, and proceeded to try and find a phone that would pick 800mhz up. But in my research, the Xperia X Compact specs seem to state that all frequencies are provided for, including 4G LTE 800mhz (20)Phone network specs.jpg

Could anyone answer me definitively if my phone can connect with the 4G800 that EE would provide? EE tech said they looked up my phone on their system and that it won't, specs seem to indicate that it will. I would just like the coverage my friends get when they visit.

(I'm not exactly sure which phones they had, as I didn't think it would have any affect on the signal at the time, several of them had iphones and one had a chinese UMI phone, if that helps)

I've learnt a lot about frequencies and 4G in the past few hours but tbh its all starting to seem very complicated.

Apologies for the long first post, but I've spent hours trying to find the answer online with no luck. Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: sorry Re: Will my Sony Xperia X Compact connect to EE 4G800?

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Yes, this only affects the 800MHz band.

MBB devices will be able to connect to our 800MHz sites, but phones can only connect if they have 4G Calling capabilities.

You can read more here.

Hope this helps.

James

16 REPLIES 16
by

Re: Will my Sony Xperia X Compact connect to EE 4G800?

Hi @Island_Lass,

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

I'm afraid only Sony Xperia X Compacts that are purchased direct from EE are compatible with EE 4G Calling at the moment.

Thanks

James

Contributor

sorry Re: Will my Sony Xperia X Compact connect to EE 4G800?

Hi @James_B,

Thanks for the reply, this may sound like a stupid question, but I don't need calling over the internet, I just want to make normal mobile calls over the normal phone network and use the internet (which is 4G from EE here). Is this the same as EE 4G Calling?

What can I do to access the EE 4G network here then? Could you give me a few examples of phones that will work with the EE network on 4G800 please?

Thanks for your help

by

Hi @Island_Lass,

EE 4G Calling allows you to make calls over 4G without having to drop to 3G or 2G.

If you only have a 4G EE signal in your area, you'll need a 4G Calling compatible phone to make or receive calls or texts.

Please click/tap the link below to view a list of compatible phones.

4G Calling on EE - Everything you need to know >

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B: There seem to be some confusion here.

@Island_Lass wrote:

use the internet (which is 4G from EE here). Is this the same as EE 4G Calling?

No, it isn't. That's just using the 4G network for data.

You don't need 4G Calling for making calls. You will just be using 3G for the normal mobile calls.

So, @James_B, can OP have an answer as to whether she should be able to use her particular phone on the EE 4G network for data? 4G Calling has nowt to do with it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Hi @James_B,

@James_B wrote:

If you only have a 4G EE signal in your area, you'll need a 4G Calling compatible phone to make or receive calls or texts.

Ok, just to be clear then, if I do not have a EE 4G Calling compatible phone in an area where ONLY EE 4G800 is being broadcast, I will not be able to even see ANY signal on my phone's reception bar? I'm not talking about mobile internet now, but the actual cell phone signal?

Many thanks again for all your help and advice.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Island_Lass wrote:

if I do not have a EE 4G Calling compatible phone in an area where ONLY EE 4G800 is being broadcast, I will not be able to even see ANY signal on my phone's reception bar?

No, you should see a 4G signal on your phone but it won't be used for your calls, only for your Internet data. As I said earlier 4G Calling is a red herring to your enquiry.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Island_Lass wrote:

if I do not have a EE 4G Calling compatible phone in an area where ONLY EE 4G800 is being broadcast, I will not be able to even see ANY signal on my phone's reception bar?

No, you should see a 4G signal on your phone but it won't be used for your calls, only for your Internet data. As I said earlier 4G Calling is a red herring to your enquiry.

Thanks @XRaySpeX, so what do you think is causing my complete lack of signal on my phone, despite friends having strong signals in the exact same location?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There seems to be some doubt about the 4G band capability of your phone. As a user I wouldn't know this but I would hope @James_B would.

by

Hi @Island_Lass,

To access the 800MHz spectrum on EE, you must have a 4G calling compatible device.

This is the case for both data and making calls. The only exceptions to these requirements are data only devices such as mobile broadband routers.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B: You sure about that? It doesn't make sense to me that you need a 4G Calling capability to be able to use just data on the 800 MHz 4G band. Particularly when MBB devices can do it. Does a SIM react differently when moved from a MBB to a phone?

Presumably you don't need 4G Calling capability to use just data on other bands?

by
Solution

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Yes, this only affects the 800MHz band.

MBB devices will be able to connect to our 800MHz sites, but phones can only connect if they have 4G Calling capabilities.

You can read more here.

Hope this helps.

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, @James_B, I see.

@Island_Lass: Sorry, everything I said earlier about 4G Calling is incorrect in this case.

Contributor

Many thanks @James_B and @XRaySpeX,

Very helpful advice.

I will now be on the look out for a new '4G Calling' capable phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! I tried to be of assistance.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I've just returned to the mainland after a few days travelling the Hebrides, and it's fair to say across remote Scotland I'm seeing noticeable coverage improvements on the 4G800 band. In some of those areas I suspect 4G800 is just the first band to go live, and 4G1800 will follow - but in others 4G800 could well be it.

But in either case, for rural and remote coverage it is quite apparent that 4G800 gives a better experience.

by
EE Employee

Hi @bristolian

Thank you for sharing your experiences 🙂

Cheers,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.