by PaulJP Investigator
Investigator

Will Huawei P smart 2019 handsets continue to be supported re software updates..

Hi After the recent Huawei ban/suspension By Google/Android will my Huawei P smart 2019 continue to be supported in regards to Software Updates?

I upgraded on the 11/05 and received the handset on the 13/05.

Should I exchange the handset for another device? Or will it continue to be supported over the next 2 years?

Thanks Paul. 

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Will Huawei P smart 2019 handsets continue to be supported re software updat

@PaulJP  you get a 14 day cooling of period if your purchase over the phone or via the net.  Your current device will get support at the moment but it’ll not get the Android Q unless things change. 

If you choose to give back the device you’ll need to call customer services to do this,  you’ll then need to wait until EE have processed the return and reset your account back to the tariff you did have so you can be  eligible to upgrade again this can take a week or so.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Will Huawei P smart 2019 handsets continue to be supported re software updat

With the present uncertainty I'd reject it before 27 May. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @PaulJP 

I would agre with @Chris_B  and @XRaySpeX 

It's not just Google, it's part manufacturers as well, so better cancel now. Just tell CS you don't like the device, as I suspect they will have a script for these situations. Legally they cannot refuse, if you are within 14 days online purchase period. 

I would then recommend holding out for 5G, which goes live shortly. Some nice 5G handsets available as well. (Oppo one is my favourites) 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by PaulJP Investigator
Investigator

Hi Guys, I've just spoken to EE CS and they said any Handsets Pre Ban won't be affected. 

That's what they have been informed. 

I'm still a little concerned though... 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hence the uncertainty!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @PaulJP 

If that is the case, then why did EE remove it's Huawei 5G phone? 

You have 90 days updates and that's it. Once the Q rollout occurs, and these services are upgraded, they won't work anymore as they cannot be updated. 

Ultimately, the decision is yours, but search Google and and make your own mind up before you are stuck for 24 months. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by PaulJP Investigator
Investigator

From what I can tell Pre Block Devices will still receive Software Support and Updates, according to EE and various websites I've visited. 

So presumably that would mean that my handset for example would receive the Android Q Update. 

Maybe somebody from EE could clarify?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Personally return it.

EE will give you the hard sell in saying nothing will change.

But come Android Q you'll get nothing and be stuck in contract and wont be able to return it.

So do so now whilst you still can.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.