by stedabbs Investigator
Investigator

WiFi Calling on S7 Edge (3rd Party)

Hi there,

I've just taken out a SIM only contract with EE. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which wasn't bought from EE. Looking at the help pages and the other posts I've seen on the board it should still work as the S7 and S7 Edge are two of the phones in the "All Variants" section.

I've checked for available updates in settings>about but there's none available. The option still isn't present in my call settings so is there something I'm doing wrong or do I need to flash EE specific firmware (I'd rather not do this).

I've tried speaking to customer services but the only answer I get is "any phone needs to be bought from us to get WiFi Calling" which I know isn't true.

Any help you can give will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Steve

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: WiFi Calling on S7 Edge (3rd Party)

Hi,  

You need to install BTU firmware from Sam's mobile. You don't need EE firmware on the S7. 

Enter *#1234# and post the numbers.  

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
47 REPLIES 47
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@stedabbs  There are different versions on this device and depending on where the device is from will depend on what features are available on it.   Most 3rd party sellers get the device from out side the U.K.  So that device is not meant for the UK market .    

@Northerner. Can you help with this ?  Thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Hi,  

You need to install BTU firmware from Sam's mobile. You don't need EE firmware on the S7. 

Enter *#1234# and post the numbers.  

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by stedabbs Investigator
Investigator

Wow - fast replies thank you both @Northerner and @Chris_B

AP:G935FXXU1BPH6

CP: G935FXXU1BPH1

CSC: G935FVIR1BPH2

Model: SM-G935F

cheers,

Steve

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi,  

No VIR (virgin) is the wrong firmware.  You need BTU as mentioned above.  You can download this from Sam's mobile and install with Odin.  Once done the VOWIFI option will be available under call settings.  

Remember to backup first.  

Thanks 

by stedabbs Investigator
Investigator

That's brilliant - thank you!

(Noob when it comes to updating firmware via Odin) Will it affect my ability to get OTA updates etc?

Steve

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi,  

If you follow the instructions you will be fine.  You will get updates first on BTU months before carriers roll them out.  

Thanks 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi

I think (I may be wrong) that WiFi calling works on the BTU firmware but I'm not sure that VoLTE is enabled on it - you may need the EVR formware for that and a new version has just been released over the New Year. There have been discussions on other posts regarding VoLTE and that was what I gathered from them.

Peter

by stedabbs Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @whiskerp. I'm not too bothered about VoLTE at the moment although that's good to know for the future!

Just another quick thank you for all your help guys I flashed the BTU firmware and have WiFi calling working successfully. Cheers again!

Steve

by
EE Employee

That's great news @stedabbs

Thanks for popping back to let us know!

4G Calling is also a really good feature, keep an eye on the 4G Calling sticky topic for updates.

Have a lovely day!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by red74eric Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue with wifi calling not availible on my phone that was bought via a third party.

Would you be able to advise me how to get this sorted please.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @red74eric

Thanks for stopping by community to see us again 🙂

This is the latest information from our WiFi calling help and support pages.

WiFi Calling is available on all versions of the iPhone 5c and later models of the iPhone, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL, HTC 10, Blackberry Priv, Blackberry Dtek 50, Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Huawei P10, P10 Lite and P10 Plus.

It's only available on the EE version of all other compatible Android and Windows devices which can only be bought directly from us in one of our stores, online or through our telesales team.

At present, other Android and Windows devices bought from other retailers will not be able to support WiFi Calling.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by red74eric Contributor
Contributor

Hello Northerner,

I put the BTU firmware on my phone as advised in several posts, but I still don't have the option for wifi calling in the phone settings.

If I type *#1234# It now doesn't show me the details that it did previously.

I got the firmware via Sam's mobile and installed it using Odin as recommended.

If you could advise me what to do from here to get wifi calling it would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

by
EE Employee

Hi @red74eric

If you go into the settings via phone, then settings and scroll right down to the bottom is the option there?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by red74eric Contributor
Contributor

Hi Karen,

No its not there.

I had wifi calling working on my phone, but my phone had to go to a Samsung Service Centre for a PBA repair and it came back without wifi calling capability.

Cheers

Guy

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @red74eric,

Have you reported this to the service centre who repaired your phone?

Thanks

James

by red74eric Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes it's been reported to the service centre and I've been I contact with Samsung technical department and apparently Samsung can only put Firmware that corresponds with the IMEI of the phone.

My phone has also been sent away twice by my local EE shop and both times came back with the exact same firmware it went away with.

Cheers

Guy

by
EE Employee

Hi @red74eric

Can you follow the below

wifi.png

Does this help.

Many thanks,

Lee

by red74eric Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lee,

I don't seem to have an advanced calling option anywhere?

Cheers

Guy

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Open the phone app.

Too right 3 little dots > settings 

Scroll to the bottom. Wofo calling should be there.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.