by bobmoss Contributor
Contributor

WiFi Calling - S7 nougat disconnects after a couple of rings

Hi,

I've just got a new sim-free S7 and have enabled WiFi calling (and got the text message back from EE to confirm it's setup). I now get the wifi calling icon in the top right.

Everything is working OK, I can make calls, I can send and receive texts. But, I am having problems receiving calls.

When I call my phone it starts ringing, then after about 2 rings it disconnects. However, at the callers end it carries on ringing as if nothing has happend. After a few more rings rather than going to voicemail I get a message saying " The mobile you have called is currently unavailable. please try again later.".

If I call my phone and reject the call on the handset before it disconnects then it goes to voicemail as it should.

If I turn off wifi calling, then I can ring my phone and it will ring and go to voicemail after about 15 seconds excatly as it should.

Phone is running standard UK firmware 7.0. I've rebooted my phone several times and tried turning wifi calling on and off.

Anyone else had this issue or any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
by
EE Employee

Re: WiFi Calling - S7 nougat disconnects after a couple of rings

Good Afternoon @bobmoss

Welcome to the Community! 🙂

I will certainly try and assist and I'm sure @Northerner will also try and help.

Just so we can rule out a few things could you answer the below?

• Does this issue happen on more than one WiFi connection?
  • Have you tried deleteing the WiFi pairing?
  • Also have you tried the WiFi calling in safe mode?

Many thanks,

Lee

by bobmoss Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it happens on any wifi connection (I've tried it on 3 very different connections, i.e. different broadband providers and routers)

Yes, I've just tried deleting the wifi connection and re-creating it and it still doesn't work.

Yes, just tried in safe mode and get the same problem.

I have found something else out though. If the phone is on the lock screen or sleeping (showing the always on display), when the phone rings I get the full screen "incoming call screen" and I get the issue. But if the phone rings while it is unlocked, I get the small "incoming call" screen at the top and everything works OK (it will ring for 15 seconds then go to voicemail).

I'm sure it's nothing to do with the wifi power settings as I have my wifi set to "Keep Wi-fi on during sleep" and it also happens if I wake it up to the lock screen and I can see I have full wifi.

Thanks.

by bobmoss Contributor
Contributor

OK, I've just done a bit more testing and now it won't work whether the phone is locked or unlocked.

I tried turning off the lock screen (instead of swipe) but that hasn't made any difference.

Thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @bobmoss

Is it possible to get you to back up all your data and try a factory reset to see if this can assist.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

Are you connected to the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz? 

From my experience with the S7 2.4 works better than 5. Also try another wifi channel. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by bobmoss Contributor
Contributor

@Lee_H wrote:

Hi @bobmoss

Is it possible to get you to back up all your data and try a factory reset to see if this can assist.

Many thanks,

Lee

Hi, I've already done that once when I first got it and it didn't make any difference unfortunately. Thanks.

by bobmoss Contributor
Contributor

@Northerner wrote:

Hi, 

Are you connected to the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz? 

From my experience with the S7 2.4 works better than 5. Also try another wifi channel. 

Thanks 

Hi Northerner,

I'm currently on 5GHz but I've tried it on 3 different 5G access points and 2 different 2.4G AP's and it doesn't make any difference.

Thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @bobmoss 

Have you spoken to technical support to have this investigated?

Many thanks,

Lee

by bobmoss Contributor
Contributor

@Lee_H wrote:

@Hi @bobmoss 

Have you spoken to technical support to have this investigated?

Many thanks,

Lee

Hi,

No not yet, I was hoping someone else might have already had this problem.

My wife has also just got an S7 so as soon as she has set hers up I'm going to see if it happens on her phone too.

Thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @bobmoss

I understand, do let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by bobmoss Contributor
Contributor

A quick update on this. My wife got a new S7 and we have now set it all up. She is experiencing exactly the same issue so I'm pretty sure it's a problem either with EE or the S7 implementation of Wifi calling rather than a fault with my phone.

Thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @bobmoss

It definitely sounds like it could be an issue WiFi Calling on the S7.

We haven't had any other reports but it is a very specific issue with it only affecting incoming calls.

If you give customer services a call and speak to tech, they'll be able to investigate this for you.

Let them know all the troubleshooting steps you've tried - especially the factory resets and connecting to several WiFi connections.

Pop back and let us know how you get on.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.