by tomlebon66 Investigator
Investigator

Why does the Huawei P10 and the Huawei P8 lite 2017 have the Nougat update?

Why does the Huawei P10 range and the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 edition have the Nougat update pre Installed on these phones, yet the Huawei P9 range does not? The software on the P9 Is almost Identical to the P10.  After speaking at length with Huawei, the problem is not at their end.  Why is it always months after a new software release before EE actually updates their branded handsets?

I wish I had purchased an unlocked Huawei Handset, that way any update released would be rolled out quicker.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Why does the Huawei P10 and the Huawei P8 lite 2017 have the Nougat update?

Good Morning @tomlebon66

The Huawei P9 range was released before Nougat was released.

The P10 and P8 lite 2017 were released after so are pre-installed with Nougat.

As with all updates you'll receive a notification on your device when it's available.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

24 REPLIES 24
Investigator

Why are EE not updating the Huawei P9 with the Nougat update?

by
EE Employee
Solution

Good Morning @tomlebon66

The Huawei P9 range was released before Nougat was released.

The P10 and P8 lite 2017 were released after so are pre-installed with Nougat.

As with all updates you'll receive a notification on your device when it's available.

by
EE Employee

Re: Why are EE not updating the Huawei P9 with the Nougat update?

Hi @tomlebon66

I've replied to your other post.

Investigator

Strange then that the unlocked huawei P9 recieved the nougat update at the beginning of March, I realise for some reason EE like to adjust the software to add there own firmware, surely a release date of the updated nougat must be available to EE employees, why cant this information be released to your customers?  I should have purchased an unlocked P9 or a P10 as I would now be running the most upto date android software.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@tomlebon66 wrote:

Strange then that the unlocked huawei P9 recieved the nougat update at the beginning of March, I realise for some reason EE like to adjust the software to add there own firmware, surely a release date of the updated nougat must be available to EE employees, why cant this information be released to your customers?  I should have purchased an unlocked P9 or a P10 as I would now be running the most upto date android software.

Yes this is the same for any network.  They all alter the firmware to add their own bloatware. This in turn takes longer to get released when updates happen. 

EE stagg don't get any updates dates or any special treatment on getting the update early.

You will be notified on your phone once then update is ready.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by JimmyC Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Guess I'll be looking at the other networks when my contract is up given how slow EE are in passing on the update... Shame as else service seems ok.

Investigator

My windows 10 mobile was always upto date with the latest security updates and software. I should have stayed sim only and bought an unlocked mobile, at least then I'd be using the new update now. Whenever EE release their bloated version, I'll just do as I have in the past, delete everything that they've added. I wish they would hurry up and release it to the customers who want it. Surely its not as difficult as they make it out, It'll be August soon.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile
by
EE Employee

Hi @tomlebon66

I understand your frustration in waiting for the updates.

Soon as they are released onto your device, you will receive a notification of this.

Many thanks,

Lee

by T3dw4rd Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone received the update on their P9 yet?

Why is there such a delay EE?  This is a delay by EE - the update has been available in its "pure" Huawei form for months now.  I can only presume therefore that EE do not see keeping their longstanding customers, who pay them a lot of money, happy because you have us over a barrel.  We will keep paying because we have to, so what incentive is there for you to put any funds/effort into service.  I expect, you keep a lot of people because by about 18 months lots of phones are starting to slow down, batteries failing, so rather than see out the contract, they stay with you and upgrade early - another disincentive for you to spend much by way of resources on offering existing customers much by way of service - but hey - you have Kevin Bacon on your adverts so alls good!

Rant over - but I would like a genuine answer to when this will be released.  The slogan repeated over and over "your phone will notify you blah blah" is just not good enough. 

Thanks

Ed

Investigator

I gave up waiting and bought a P10
by
EE Employee

Hi @T3dw4rd

At EE we want to ensure that these updates are released to customers in a timely manner, and that the customer experience is at an acceptable level.

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates.

You'll be notified on your phone as soon as the update is available.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Wils1907 Investigator
Investigator

The ee-branded version of Nougat for the Huawei P9 has been available for over a week, you can download it from a number of websites. I phoned ee last week to find out if they've started rolling it out yet. The first person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about, their manager was very helpful but unable to find the information.

I sent a message via the website and got a call the next day. She had spoken to numerous departments and was unable to find anyone who could give her an answer. I'll get a call back if she can find anyone who knows.

ee are a shambles.  All I wanted to know was if the rollout had started and how long it would take to get it to all P9 phones. If ee are incapable of making this information available internally, there's no chance customers will ever get an answer. As shown by Karen_C's reply to this thread, she is also unaware that the ee-branded version is already available.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

No network can let you know when the updates would be available. It isn't just EE.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Wils1907,

As far as I'm aware, Huawei haven't started rolling out Nougat to EE versions of the P9.

As soon as it's available you will be the first to know via a notification on your handset.

Thanks

James

by Wils1907 Investigator
Investigator

@James_B 

A quick search finds these website with the ee version.  There are more.

http://www.stechguide.com/download-huawei-p9-b380-nougat-update-2/

http://www.technobuzz.net/install-download-huawei-p9-b380-nougat-update-uk-ee/

https://www.fonegyaan.com/install-b380-nougat-update-huawei-p9/

ee-branded Nougat for the P9 exists; ee just haven't told their staff it's available or, surprise surprise, their customers.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Wils1907,

I've checked with our software team and they've confirmed that the links you provided are not official EE variant software updates.

Thanks

James

by jimmyapage
Explorer

I think that it is very poor of EE to shrug off all of the posts in their forums about this update taking so long. They should being pushing to roll out the update ASAP or they should be appoligizing to customers and giving a release date...

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@jimmyapage

If EE gave you a release date and then that date came and went and no update (due to them finding issues with it)

This would annoy you.

by Wils1907 Investigator
Investigator

I work in software development. We work out what we need to do, work out how long it will take to do it, work out the delivery date, build in some contingency in case of unforeseen issues, give the client a delivery date.  Nougat for the P9 has been available since January.  Surely they should have been able to work it out by now?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.