by victa Investigator
Investigator

Why did EE give me a rooted replacement phone?

I claimed S8 and the replacement shows as uncertified in Play Store. I am unable to use Google Pay or Anmex pay. All I have done was to restore the data from the old phone (which had no such issues). Why was I given a malfunctioning phone by your insurance? Is this some sort of joke?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Why did EE give me a rooted replacement phone?

0x0 should mean it's not rooted. People seem to report a factory reset and clearing the play store cache may fix this (take a backup of anything first).

Or might be worth giving EE a call to discuss, maybe they would be willing to replace it.

5 REPLIES 5
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @victa Can you try this?

Go to settings, about phone, status and see the last entry, is it "Official"?
Also, go to download mode (Power down, bixby and power key) and see if Knox status is 0x1 or 0x0 (you can alternatively use a Knox check app from Play Store)

by victa Investigator
Investigator

Hi, thanks. The last entry is on battery life. The knox status is 0x0.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

0x0 should mean it's not rooted. People seem to report a factory reset and clearing the play store cache may fix this (take a backup of anything first).

Or might be worth giving EE a call to discuss, maybe they would be willing to replace it.

by victa Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. I factory-resetted the phone and before restoring any data went to Play store. The device was shown as uncertified. Gave a call to ER and arranged a replacement.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @victa,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your replacement phone.

You did the right thing in contacting customer services, they'll make sure a replacement gets to you as soon as possible.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.