by vithusel Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When will the S7 Edge receive android Nougat?

I do not want a reply saying my phone will notify me. I what a WHEN as a answer. If you do not know the answer the please find out or point me in the right direction. I am a paying customer so at the very least i would like a decent response to my question rather then a generic answer. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: When will the S7 Edge receive android Nougat?

Hi, 

You have answered your own question. Your phone will tell you. 

Your version is EE version not the BTU version of the firmware. You have received the latest security updates. 

Samsung also haven't officially released it for the S7 yet in the UK. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
44 REPLIES 44
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Hi, 

You have answered your own question. Your phone will tell you. 

Your version is EE version not the BTU version of the firmware. You have received the latest security updates. 

Samsung also haven't officially released it for the S7 yet in the UK. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Fury556 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Samsung have released the unlocked firmware today - lots of posts on XDA forums with screenshots showing the information. 

As for EE, they're still months behind on the S6 compared to other carriers so unfortunately I wouldn't expect it any time soon. I ended up flashing my S6 to unlocked firmware so I get the monthly updates, and hopefully N soon depending on how long it takes Samsung to push it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vithusel  Your contract doesn't include updates for your device.  

by tom_simeone
Explorer

Please can you give an answer instead of saying when phone pops up with a message?

have you done any internal testing? is there any reason why you cant give us an answer? even an ETA?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tom_simeone  The EE branded version is made and modified by Samsung.  EE test it and any modifications are done by Samsung.  This goes back and forth until it works how EE want it too with their branding on it.  EE will not give a ETA on the simple fact of if it can not be done by that date EE will be plagued by "you said this you said that".    

by tom_simeone
Explorer

Hi Chris,

thank you for explaining 🙂 helps a lot.

T

by Joshua111 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

maybe ee should hurry up and not put us in the lerch with no communication between ee and paying customers im still yet to receive the January security patch and still on septembers one if i went to the stock samsung btu version does this void any warrantys for my s7 edge that comes with the phone?

Valued Contributor

Samsung warranty itself stays intact since knox counter doesn't get tripped. Let's you update to nougat straight away. 

by Fourpot Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Shocking as always EE. @vithusel looking to go BTU, does the phone have to be unlocked to do so? Cheers.

Valued Contributor

I couldn't find the last Reply so I'll Type here. I had no issues whatsoever myself. Using Odin tool I uploaded all the files and flashed. Heads up if you flash then you loose all your data. Other then that. I chose ee network on first boot of marshmallow. Let it install all the apps. Checked Wi-Fi calling and it is Working! Manual check for update in settings. About phone. Check for update and it immediatly began downloading nougat. Had no issues up till now

by Fourpot Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@vithusel great stuff! Thanks for the help.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

I imagine it will be some time before the EE (EVR) build of Android 7 will be released. Samsung only released the BTU (generic) version OTA in the UK yesterday.

I've read some have flashed to BTU to get the update but it seems although WiFi Calling will work in BTU VoLTE will not so personally I'll pass and wait it out.

by red_snow Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sam Mobile doesn't seem to have the Nougat/BTU for the S7 Edge. A colleague of mine also has an S7 Edge (SIM free/Unlocked) and no update yet. I've seen a couple of reports that the update was halted.

Can anyone confirm where to download the Nougat/BTU for the S7 Edge?

&

Has the OTA been halted?

Valued Contributor

Download the BTU firmware for android 6 on sammobile. i used the first one. Install it. Then check for a update. You will recieve the nougat update, This is what i had to do. Since it was released yesterday no one has uploaded it yet.

by red_snow Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Great thanks for the info. Presumably, the handset will have to be SIM unlocked first?

Valued Contributor

Mine isnt. Mines still locked to ee. I've read about people having issues but as far as I've seen. No issues for me. Been using it all day today

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Guys,

Samsung have officially released Android 7.0 Nougat for the unbranded Samsung Galaxy S7 Flat & EDGE model. EE Wi-Fi calling does indeed work but NOT 4G Calling (VoLTE). It does not matter if your device is locked to EE as the BTU firmware will still accept your EE sim.

You can download the firmware from SamMobile:

Galaxy S7 FLAT - SM-G930F: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/120140/G930FXXU1DPLT_G930FOXA1DPLT_BTU/

by bghatter
Visitor

I have an EE locked S7 edge, if i install these BTU update from Samsmobile, what exactly are the risks to my phone

Valued Contributor

There isn't much that can go wrong. As long as you ensure the firmware files your using are genuine. So from Sam mobile or the link above. Make sure it's for the correct model so ensure the model code matches. After that you just follow any guide to flash the s7 online with Odin tool and your good

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.