by cc_drummond

When will the Android Nougat update come for HTC M9?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: When will the Android Nougat update come for HTC M9?

Hi,  

EE don't provide firmware update release dates but when one is available your phone will tell you. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
19 REPLIES 19
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Hi,  

EE don't provide firmware update release dates but when one is available your phone will tell you. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi and welcome to EE the fastest network with the slowest updates

Please see the thread linked below for the correct info on this long in going issue. 

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/List-devices-behind-on-security-and-OS-updates/td-p/526289

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Northerner please stop with this generic unhelpful update that provides nothing but frustration for EE customers. 

You're aware of the real issue and I believe you could offer help in making a change to this policy choice of providing poor service. 

Thanks

Mark L

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bellyman

Thank you for your observations but my comments are correct. 

If you want more regular updates them buy your phone sim free.  EE issued phones run EE firmware and it's up to EE when or if they support updates to their products.  As I said if you don't like this then buy sim free. 

Alternatively you can complain and EE code of practice and complaints process is here.

Thanks 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

It this attitude towards improving a service the official response from EE?

It seems to boil down to, go else where or follow dead end avenues many have previous that have failed to bring improvement. 

So please clarify is this an official statement

Mark

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bellyman

Thanks again for your post.  

Can you clarify when or where I said to go elsewhere? 

I did say if you want more regular updates then buy your phone sim free however you may not have access to the some EE services with sim free handsets. 

EE own firmware is developed for their network and includes access to services such as VOWIFI,  VoLTE to name but who services not available on other networks.  Of course this is of no intrest to you as is the fact that even updated Android phones still have half a dozen major security issues which Google has never fixed as have the apps you have allowed access to the most sensitive areas of your phone. 

As for official statements then please refer to the complaints link I provided above. 

Thanks 

by realtestman Established Contributor
Established Contributor

"EE own firmware is developed for their network and includes access to services such as VOWIFI,  VoLTE to name but who services not available on other networks.  Of course this is of no intrest to you as is the fact that even updated Android phones still have half a dozen major security issues which Google has never fixed as have the apps you have allowed access to the most sensitive areas of your phone. "

Apart from the fact that the entire text is totally and utterly wrong, old firmware has even more major security issues, obviously!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

It seems EE has advised one customer the reason for the delay in Nougat is due to wifi calling etc.

This was the issue in the Marshmallow release which was after much delayed resolved.  Its very unlikely that resolve doesn't apply to Nougat and more development time needed.

Also surely the issues with calling over wifi would be different per device?  Some would have no issues at all and just a setting change others more so, yet all have extemely long release time.

Also none of this is applicable to security updates which are not linked to OS updates.  EE have confirmed to me they're making a change in policy to not bunble security and OS updates together but what about all the other manufacturers.  Why are they not to have as up to date device as possible.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Bellyman it looks as I'm not the only one having unhelpful and annoying postings from 

@Northerner

I do wish that if anyone of us here has a gripe we could reasonably air it. And we can have either a valid solution presented, some reasonable advice or be pointed in the right direction.

Those who don't want to adhere to this, who want to make unhelpful comments, who want to infer people like me are ignorant about Android vs IOS updates etc should just keep their unhelphul and totally unnecessary jibes to themselves!!!!

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Profile closed @Bellyman you have received the only answer you are going to get on here from myself, @Northerner and the community team numerous times now. 

EE will push these updates out to you when they can/when they are ready.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The generic updates and acceptance of the situtation is something i despise.

I was offered my contract written off so i could go elsewhere due to this issue and i turned it down because i want the service to improve, not just for me but for everyone.  I'm not affected by HTC or Huawei updates but if i can highlight an issue and gain some traction to have these issues resolved i will... and so should you all of you, the customers.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Profile closed thank you for your prompt and extremly valid and helpful answer to the question I posed for you directly.

Its brilliant because I didn't even have to phyiscally type in on my super-duper Toshiba laptop...and the answer arrived before i'd even thought of the question.

I reckon higher powers must be involved here, to know somebodys concerns before they've even though of them..

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Profile closed as an ace contributor i would expect your contibutions to be well, ace. Snippets full of information that gives additional support to fellow users without bias of EE even though you may have received gifts from them to thank you for the support you freely offer.

With the time you've spent on the EE forum you have become a trusted customer and someone EE can use to bring issues to them for investgation and more. You're not an employee so you can freely speak your mind and of course help your fellow customers to gain the best service they can from EE. 

Please honor this and join us in improving the service for all and not accepting the current state and increasing frustration in other users.

Why would you not?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I'll add this which i just wrote on another thread

In response to the Pixel having none of these issues as there seems to be no EE changes in the OS and it works perfectly with all features.   

"Then perhaps perhaps it's Samsung who are dragging their heels with this update.  Don't forget it's their device but googles OS."

--

It could be Samsung who are taking their time to release the EE specific build of the OS and HTC and LG and Huawei and Sony and every other manufacturer of an Android phone. Or it could be EE are asking for changes without a contract or SLA so these manufacturers have no need or want to make resulting in long delays and frustrated users.   This has been confirmed by the way last week....

The fix is EE changes policy.

--

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Bellyman thank you very much for the offer but I have to politely decline for two reasons, I am not an Android user and I do want to work for EE and already push my luck with being a community star as it is with how firmly I defend Orange and the fellow remaining users out there. 

I hope you can understand my reasons for staying neutral in this matter and if there is anything else you would like my help on tag me @Profile closed in the post and I will do the best I can. 🙂 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Please clarify.

Do you mean you've been commenting on Android issues without actually having one and understanding the issues of owning such a device.

Also while i asked you to help i only did in asking every member of this forum so the customer is a united voice for improvements to EE.   

Do you work for EE or are you seeking employment from EE?  Either would show a lack of impartiality and a want to tow the company line over everything and anything else.  

Chosing neutral is not helpful when you know there is something wrong. I'm sure you can see now the updates of support you offered only frustrated and offered nothing more.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Bellyman I do not need to own a device to understand how one works. I used to own an Android device (Galaxy Note 2/3) and never had any issues using it on the EE network. 

I do not work do EE no I am a customer/user like the other community stars. I am sorry you are not happy with the answer myself and others have given you but that is the only answer we can give you as a user forum. 🙂

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

What did this mean "I hope you can understand my reasons for staying neutral in this matter".  If you do not work for EE or have accepted gifts etc for your support why would you so strongly need to be impartial and not want to push for change for your fellow users.

It can't be you've just realised you don't actually own an Android device so this issue doesn't effect you so feel no need to offer advise on issues with this OS and devices.  Can it?

I understand you may know how an Android device works but do you want to appreciate the issues of owning one now and how EE policies affect your security and usage of the manufacturers.   If not why even comment on an Android issue in the first place other than to frustate an already aggravated customer, often new customer or new person to the forum..

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Bellyman I have given you the same answer as everyone else on this forum. Again I am sorry that I could not give you a more helpful answer but that is the only one to give.

If there is anything else you would like help with then please let me know and I will see what I can do. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.