by Gavin2 Investigator
Investigator

When will s7 receive nougat update

When will the nougat update be available for s7 on ee?

23 REPLIES 23
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: When will s7 receive nougat update

Hi,  

Yes when it's available your phone will tell you.  It will need to be tested by EE first. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

If the update experience continues as it has with EE it will be this time next year.

But look at the competition

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/01/19/vodafone-uk-could-update-the-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-to-nougat-on...

by Gavin2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi

Thanks for the info, any idea how long this normally takes?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by robuphill Contributor
Contributor

It's been released for months now, get a grip EE

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

OS updates can take a month or so but most other carriers roll it out on weeks. I understand Vodafone nougat is ready to go. 

Security updates should only take days. Again all other carriers manage this but for no reason EE want to admit or explain or even resolve it takes months and months. Over 6 months and counting for an S6 security update and these are critical flaws that need patching.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Any news EE? UK generic phones got it weeks ago. Orange in France, Vodafone in Germany and Meteor in Ireland have all rolled out Android 7.

Why is EE so slow? Nougat supports WiFi calling and VoLTE, we all know that. So what extra "testing" is needed that other networks don't need?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi i've been chasing for an update all week and got nothing.

This is what i had last week

"Each manufacturer has a different approach to providing software updates and we always ensure updates are passed on as quickly as possible to customers. Updates vary per device as well as manufacturer. For example, we work closely with the team at Samsung and our GS7 customers were amongst the first in the UK to receive the latest software updates for this device.

On the Samsung GS6 specifically, we’ve been working hard with Samsung to roll out the update, but the quality of the updates we’ve received have not been at a level that offer a sufficient quality user experience all around, not just for EE services. Following a review of the process and taking yours and others feedback on board, we’ve requested Samsung and other manufacturers separate out their software and security updates, rather than combine them as they currently do – as we agree that it’s important to get these updates to our customers as quickly as we can. I’m pleased to say Samsung has now agreed to do this approach on a number of their devices moving forward.

I hope this provides you with the background you require, we will update you as soon as we know the update is coming out"

and then after i replied

"Samsung roll out different variants of the update for each operator. I can’t comment on other network’s approvals process, but user experience is very important to us. If the quality of the update we receive is not at the required level, then we work with Samsung to ensure this is rectified before it’s rolled out. Moving forward Samsung has agreed to splitting out the updates for EE on a number of their devices - which we’re pleased will allow them to be rolled out to customers as swiftly as possible"

and then after a replied 

" I've spoken to both our executive office and the devices team, and have confirmed that My EE has not impacted the release date of a previous security update, so please accept my apologies that you were told that incorrectly. Our devices team are continuing to work with Samsung to roll out the latest update. Once I have a timescale or an update on this, I will come back to you. Thanks"

So it seems EE chose to have security updates incorporated with OS updates hence we're almost a year behind on security for the S6.  They've no asked Samsung to seperate out the security updates so they can keep our phones more up to date. BUT as you can see EE still blames Samsung for poor quality updates, updates that are the same for all carriers as the hardware is the same.  It's either EE has a higher quality benchmark than Samsung themselves as devices bought direct are fully up to date and higher than almost every other carrier because their devices are also more up to date OR... the issues with the builds Samsung are creating are EE specific issues.  So this is still very much an EE issue and one that i'm getting little traction on.

This isn't just a Samsung issue.  Almost all Android devices lag behind for security and OS updates on EE.  Why?  Why is EE so different to everyone else why is security seen as a yearly (or more thing) and why do we have to wait so long for OS updates that can will improve a customer experience.

Its been said "GS7 customers were amongst the first in the UK to receive the latest software updates for this device."  i don't have a GS7 but i watch the forum and it sure doesn't look like it.  Can any one confirm if the security updates are current?

Mark L

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Build list for S7 SM-G930F

EE

28-12-2016

18-09-2016

BTU

16-01-2017 Nougat

20-12-2016

Virgin

01-09-2016

29-11-2016

15-11-2016

O2

11-01-2017

07-12-2016

Vodaphone

01-01-2017

23-11-2016

Ireland

14-12-2016

24-11-2016

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

looks like Voda 02 and Samsungs quality control for the S7 is really bad hahahahahaa

by bridgey75 Contributor
Contributor

I have a SG7 and I still haven't received nougat update on mine.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Keep pushing for a why. There is no reason to not release them in a satisfactory time frame other than an EE reason that's being kept from us. 

by sutty177 Investigator
Investigator

How can an update made available by Google in August 2016 take this long to be tested? Android 7.1.1 is already out there and in use worldwide. Samsung have already released it to poviders after all their testing and the beta release ran in December/January. 

Why is no one in EE prepared to justify the delay? (with more than 'you will be told ...')

Please respond with more details?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This is something i've been trying to get the bottom for over a year and have had little info.

EE have confirmed they're making a change for Samsung updates in that they're not going to ask for a build with the security updates bunbled in.   This is just plain stupid in my mind as it leaves all our devices open for months and months.  But this isn't a Samsung or Google Issue its an EE choice, one they're now seeing they need to change. But they can do more much more and across all manufacturers.  Samsung gets the most attention because they're the biggest android device but all android devices should be supported in and for a time frame acceptable for EEs customers and its not happening.

One day we might find out why..

I've even spun this as a selling point to EE "The fastest and most secure (due to our speedy updates) network in the UK"  but they just don't want to know

by 1Gopher

The Fastes Network

But the Slowest to test and Roll out Nougat!!

by Gavin2 Investigator
Investigator

It's a complete joke. I've been into ee stores and asked, I either get a blank look because they have never even heard of it or a bunch of lies!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The people who "really" know WHY are hiding behind the scenes.  From the shops to the help teams on here/facebook/twitter nobody can help with this issue as they are fed the same pack of lies to give to us.  

It's like an onion, you have to peel back the layers like @Bellyman has to get remotely anywhere with this.  Then as he will attest you meet resistance, misinformation and more downright lies.  It is terrible customer care not to provide these security updates. Apple and Google have to be applauded in their descision to take this out of the carriers hands.  

Highlighted
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've been given some more info and a statement but i'm going to hold off as EE say they're going to release it on the forum.

The thing is although it comes from Samsung it seems completely incorrect and there evidence to conter it.  I've raised this already and hope to get some info soon but this is a step forward as the noise we're making is being heard.. 

This statement is also from Samsung only and i'm more interested in EE changing their policy for Android devices as a whole.  EE should be passing on manufacturers updates without hindrance and allow the users experience of the device to be the gauge of the product not the carriers support. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Bellyman

Yes EE should be making it a lot faster but if EE just release the update without testing it etc and then it started to cause issues with your phone/service, there would be a lot more users on here complaining why didn't they make sure it was fine beforehand.

That said. It shouldn't take this long as all the other networks have released it.

I'm glad you are getting somewhere with it because I got nowhere. I have my suspisions why but I'll keep that to myself.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Agreed testing is needed but once the new tech such as voice of wifi/lte is in place any future updates shouldn't take that long.

There's also the issue of manufactuer bug fixes not rolling out and security updates only being rolled out as part of OS updates.  Thats just asking for trouble..

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions