by Braderz4198

When can we all expect oreo on the s8

8 REPLIES 8
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Re: When can we all expect oreo on the s8

It's not been released to beta testers or unlocked handsets yet. So it's likely that carrier version will be even longer, perhaps April. 

by Ashx
Visitor

http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SM-G950F

It was released to beta testers months ago, I'ts been rolling out live for the past 2 weeks.

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Ashxwrote:

It was released to beta testers months ago, I'ts been rolling out live for the past 2 weeks.

No.

It started to roll out elsewhere in the world. Apparently, the VOD CSC went live on Samsung's servers for a short period today. So I doubt that the release is far away.

As for beta testers, we are stuck on Beta 6 in the UK. Which has some issues with WiFi stability and unusual system data use.

We've been promised that we'll get the final version one day before general release. So unless, Samsung are telling porkies Oreo can't have been released in the UK yet.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Techheadwrote:

@Ashxwrote:

No.

It started to roll out elsewhere in the world. Apparently, the VOD CSC went live on Samsung's servers for a short period today. So I doubt that the release is far away.

As for beta testers, we are stuck on Beta 6 in the UK. Which has some issues with WiFi stability and unusual system data use.

We've been promised that we'll get the final version one day before general release. So unless, Samsung are telling porkies Oreo can't have been released in the UK yet.

Don' listen to the one day before story that has been and gone. We would have had it by now if it wasn' for Samsung having to halt the final release due to bootloop issues.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

You'd hope they would keep to their word, though they did quietly remove the notice about deployment. 😊

by FurstyFerret Contributor
Contributor

So now just the usual 4 month wait for EE to rubber-stamp the update?  Why not just enable VoLTE on the generic European firmware?

You'd think that deliberately running devices with out-of-date security patches on their network would make the network team twitchy, but obviously not a concern.

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@FurstyFerretwrote:

So now just the usual 4 month wait for EE to rubber-stamp the update?  Why not just enable VoLTE on the generic European firmware?

You'd think that deliberately running devices with out-of-date security patches on their network would make the network team twitchy, but obviously not a concern.

Back when I had an S6, I made this very point to the exec team. With EE so slow at security updates it's only a matter of time before some group targets them. If that bad publicity wasn't enough, what happens if the compromised handsets start to affect network performance? Perhaps clogging up message centres or vastly increasing data traffic. The person I spoke to hadn't considered that and promised to feed back. The situation is even worse on non-flagship devices.

Other networks manage a quicker roll out, why can't EE? 

Think how many EE handsets haven't had a patch for months. Since then I've upgraded through a third party to ensure I've got a SIM free handset.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I think we all know what would happen if someone had a phone that caused issues to the KGEE, weapons grade nerve agent thats what.. The secrets EE hold are far to valuable to share to the public and they'd never allow anyone to highlight any security issue.

sniff.PNG

I joke but doesn't it make you wonder just why they keep thing so secret and have standard responses with no actual information. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.