by Thenu Investigator
Investigator

What does roaming mean and why do I have free data in Switzerland?

What does roaming mean and why do I have free data in Switzerland?

Also is it free of charge.

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Employee

Re: What does roaming mean and why do I have free data in Switzerland?

Hi and welcome to the community @Thenu

So I can try and assist, please may I know the following:

• Are you on pay monthly or pay as you go?
  • Which tariff are you on (if pay monthly)?
  • Which pack are you on (if pay as you go)?

Roaming in the mobile industry is using your phone outside of your home country, So any usage outside of the UK is classed as roaming.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Thenu Investigator
Investigator

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a pay as you go customer.

I just top up whenever I need to make calls.

But I would also like to know why I have free moblie data in Switzerland. I'm not sure if it is free or not. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Thenu  Roaming is the ability to use your device whilst outside of the UK on a network within the country your visiting,  EE only operates in the UK so your device will connect to a network within that country. 

You have the ability to use your allowances within the EU so you are not charged to use your device while in the EU.  

by Thenu Investigator
Investigator

So does that mean I have free mobile data, in other words free wifi or interent in Switzerland without being charged, because I don't understand how this works.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Thenu Free wifi is just that free.  If you have a data allowance you can use that when abroad at no extra charge.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Thenu wrote:

But I would also like to know why I have free moblie data in Switzerland. I'm not sure if it is free or not. 

If you have bought a PAYG Pack that includes a UK data allowance, you may use that data allowance anywhere in the EU & Switzerland just like you do in the UK. It is effectively free as you have already paid for it in buying the Pack. Once you have used up your data allowance you cannot use data anywhere until you buy another Pack or data Add-on, which you will be invited to do if you attempt to use data.

If you don't have a PAYG Pack you cannot use data anywhere. To use data you must have a Pack or data Add-on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Thenu.

Hope you have a lovely time and you have got all the help you needed from the community 🙂

For full Roaming information see the help page here.

Let us know if you need anything further.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.