by prolfe Investigator
Investigator

Water Damaged S7 Edge

I've just been notified that my S7 Edge is water damaged and will not be repaired, It has been 'under water' for a maximum of 2 seconds and weeks before a failure.

the failure was a reboot because i was not confident the fingerprint reader was working correctly.

prior to the reboot it was fine all morning.

I now have a dead phone with 18 months left on my contract!!!

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Water Damaged S7 Edge

@prolfe  There is nothing that this forum can help you with.  This is a warranty issue.  Sorry. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @prolfe,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Did you return the phone to Samsung or EE?

Thanks

James

by prolfe Investigator
Investigator

It was returned to EE.

They have said they do not handle warranty related issues and i need to take it up with samsung. I'm very very annoyed.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@prolfe  The store is correct when it comes to a warranty issue as it’s Samsung’s warranty that covers the device.  Also no warranty coverage water damage even if that device has a IP rating.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @prolfe,

Have you contacted Samsung to see if they can help?

Thanks

James

by prolfe Investigator
Investigator

One of the features that i was drawn to was the fact that it was water resistant up to 30 minutes and up to 1.5m.

There are no special conditions in place on the S7 Edge product EE website nor the samsung website.

The phone is either faulty in terms of its IP68 rating or there is false advertising in terms of the litrature and advert for the S7.

I also feel the phone therefore is not fit for purpose.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@prolfe  If you had purchased Samsung warranty plus from Samsung you’ll be covered for water damage.   The standard warranty doesn’t cover this as it’s your word that the device was not in violation of the predetermined IP rating. The device has water indicators built within it these are only activated when the IP rating has been broken.   If you believe the device is not fit for  purpose and you believe there was a manufacturing issue with the device and you need to get a third-party report to prove that the manufacturing defect was there when you receive the phone.  You can then take this to Samsung to prove that the device was faulty when you received it.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

This whole IP rating / water resistance thing on many mobile handsets is nothing much more than marketing spin unfortunately.

Your other route to go down would be insurance, including home contents as that often  does now include mobile phone accidental damage.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.