by belfastrab
Explorer

WIFI Calling on NON EE Supplied Handset

Hi 

I was hoping someone can help me. I have a Samsung S8 as supplied on contract from EE but I hate the phone and was wanting to buy something like the Google Pixel or other high end modern Android based phone on somewhere like Ebay.

My question is that I depend heavily on wifi calling which was the sole reason I switched to a EE contract and I was just wanting to check that as long as my new non EE supplied handset supports wifi calling (which pretty much all modern high end Androids do) and it's of course network unlocked etc that the wifi calling will work and it's not dependant on the phone's version of Android being the EE version. So if the phone is just stock Android that the wifi calling will still work.

I did call EE's tech support department and I was given conflicting information by someone who really didn't sound like she knew what she was talking about but essentially the answer was yes. But I really want to make sure before I go to considerable expense and trouble of buying a new handset.

I do know there is a more complex solution of re flashing a new stock Android phone with a EE ROM version for that particular phone but I would rather not have to try that if I can help it.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks

Robert

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

Re: WIFI Calling on NON EE Supplied Handset

Hello @belfastrab,

Welcome to the community,

If you take a look here, it will tell you which phones have Wifi calling that are not bought directly from EE:

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-...

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

7 REPLIES 7
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

Hello @belfastrab,

Welcome to the community,

If you take a look here, it will tell you which phones have Wifi calling that are not bought directly from EE:

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-...

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

by belfastrab
Explorer

Hi @Schockwave

Thanks for that. Much appreciated and very reasuring to have the answer in black and white as it were on the EE website because as I said the girl on the phone did not sound even remotely sure.

Thanks again.

Robert 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@belfastrab, Glad I was able to help, you are very welcome.

That is where you can find out what phones bought from other places, other than EE will have Wifi calling, and as more phones may become available, then that page will in time be updated.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@belfastrab wrote:

Hi 

I was hoping someone can help me. I have a Samsung S8 as supplied on contract from EE but I hate the phone and was wanting to buy something like the Google Pixel or other high end modern Android based phone on somewhere like Ebay.

Just curious as to what it is you hate about the S8?  🙂 

by PhilipL Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

I would also add make sure the phone also supports VoLTE or 4G Calling as well, that way if you go out of range on a Wi-Fi call it should hand over seamlessly to 4G, also it will work with 4G on the 800MHz frequency.

Supported devices are here https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-...

Regards

Phil

by drmason

I have a Samsung S7 which I bought on O2.  I had to switch to O2  from EE when I moved to my house because there is no EE reception at home.  I now spend a lot of time at my partner's house and there is no O2 reception, and no broadband either, the only mast in the valley is a EE 4G transmitter. 

I decided to switch back to EE since I can use wifi calling when I'm at home over my broadband, and have no worries about burning through their precious EE 4G allowance by using wifi calling at my partner's house..

My plan has fallen apart now because, although I can use my unlocked O2 samsung S7 to make O2 wifi calls, swapping to the EE sim means Wifi Calling doesn't work 😞

Does anyone know if there's any way of getting my unlocked O2 samsung S7 to enable wifi calling when I insert my EE sim?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@drmason , If my memory serves me right, you have to have the phone from EE for it to work with EE sim over WiFi for wifi calling. 

You may want to take a look here, you may find the answer, otherwise ring customer service, they may be able to help:

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.