by geminianjo Investigator
Investigator

Voice calls/Crackling

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some help?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 that I've had since last year Black Friday. November 2018.

Within the past two weeks, anyone I call has trouble hearing what I'm saying. Sometimes I am clear but what they hear on their end quickly reverts to crackling and they can't hear me at all, though I can hear them through the whole conversation clear as day.

Perhaps something to do with my mic?

The one thing on my mind is perhaps I have damaged the hardware someway? I take it in the bathroom when I bathe and there's a ton of steam but a lot of time I keep it covered with a towel to protect it. 

I can't think of anything else.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: Voice calls/Crackling

The status checker did not show any problems in that area.

While trying to sort WiFi Calling on settings I noticed there was a software update which needed doing. Honestly thought these notified you/did them automatically. So did that. Have had a phone call since with no issue. Not sure what fixed it, if it was needing the update or if it's only temporarily fixed.

9 REPLIES 9
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@geminianjo - How is the call quality when the handset is in safe mode? Assuming you are referring to regular mobile calls and not using 3rd party apps?

Are there any other 3rd party apps on the handset too, e.g. Whatsapp, Viber, Skype, etc. - installing & reinstalling; to eliminate a possible troublesome app? Unless those apps are working as expected?

You could try the voice recorder application or record a video, playback the recording, check sound quality of recording? 

Investigator

Hi, thank you!

Regular mobile calls.

Booted in safe mode and made a phone call. Person I spoke to said it was clear again and understand me without issue. Only problem there was it cut out after 10-15 minutes, twice, but after ringing them again it was fine for the duration of the conversation.

I do have 3rd party apps but they have not seemed to cause any issue other than their normal functioning.

Voice recorder: (not in safe mode) Can't hear any crackling, seemed quite clear on playback.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @geminianjo,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Does the Network Status Checker show any problems in your area?

Are you using WiFi Calling at home?

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi @James_B 

I have checked service status for where I live and there does appear to be a problem in my area. However my current phone problem also affected me when I was 4 miles away from home and making a phone call.

I have no experience of using WiFi Calling.

by

Hi @geminianjo,

Does the Status Checker show any issues in the other area?

I would recommend activating WiFi Calling to boost your signal at home.

James

Investigator
Solution

The status checker did not show any problems in that area.

While trying to sort WiFi Calling on settings I noticed there was a software update which needed doing. Honestly thought these notified you/did them automatically. So did that. Have had a phone call since with no issue. Not sure what fixed it, if it was needing the update or if it's only temporarily fixed.

by

Hi there @geminianjo

Thanks for coming back to us.

Hopefully this has sorted this for you 🙂

Let us know how it goes and if you have this happen again come back, we will be able to help.

Leanne.

Investigator

Thank you all for the advice and help!

by

No problem @geminianjo

Have a great weekend 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions