Highlighted
by henryb1 Contributor
Contributor

VoLTE on Samsung Galaxy S8 with non EE firmware

I have purchased an unlocked S8 and am aware that without the EE firmware, I cannot use VoLTE. Whilst I dont need it immediately, I was enjoying seamless handoff between wifi calling and 4G calling on my S6....

So my question is this - does anyone know whether EE will bring VoLTE to the S8 without EE firmware at any point in the future (if so, eta?)? Is it technically possible? I know the Google Pixel has it...

If not, I will have to investigate how to flash my S8 with the EE firmware... Any advice on that appreciated too! 

TIA

19 REPLIES 19
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: VoLTE on Samsung Galaxy S8 with non EE firmware

Hi @henryb1

If depends on your firmware as my S8+ has it, and doesn't run EE firmware.

Enter *#1234# into your dialer and post the three sets of code.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by henryb1 Contributor
Contributor

Hi - appreciate the quick response. 

I get:

AP: G950FXXU1CRB7
CP: G950FXXU1CRAP
CSC: G950FOXM1CRAP
Model: SM-950F

Mean anything?

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @henryb1

That's old firmware. I'm not sure if you have flashed this device before it region it's it's originally from but the S8+ received the 1 March update last week which also activated the VOLTE service, plus the option to activate/deactivate it under network settings. See picture. 

Screenshot_20180416-153726_DeviceKeystring.jpg

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's a previous version of S8 firmware. I had the same codes on a SIM-free S8 purchased from Amazon on 29 March. Within days or it might have been hours it had updated to the latest, the G950F equivalents of @Northerner's codes. You can download the latest from https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8/SM-G950F/ . I'm not sure if you need to get the country of origin exactly right even if they have the same codes (29 matches). Or you could just wait for it to happen.

Have you registered the phone with Samsung Warranty site ? They will identify a Model Code, the last 3 chars of which will identify a country variant. Mine was AUT = Switzerland.

May I ask where you bought it & from which merchant?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by henryb1 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your replies all!

As luck would have it, I got an update overnight and it is now working.

No idea why it took 3 days to get the update....

But in any case, Im happy it's sorted with no need to flash it...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

I checked some dates. Mine took under 1 day, going from Nougat to Oreo.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

My S8 just updated itself once more to:

AP: G950FXXU1CRD7
CP: G950FXXU1CRD1
CSC: G950FOXM1CRD5

Android 8.0.0 (think it was just 8.0 before).

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX

You have standard S8 not +? and BTU firmware? Could you confirm VoLTE and Voip both work ok please?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@terracuk: I have standard S8 not + with AUT firmware having the same AP, CP & CSC codes as BTU firmware.

I can't confirm whether VoLTE & VoIP (WiFi Calling?) work on it as I don't have those features from my network. However VoLTE is present in its settings, albeit blanked out, but I can't find WiFi Calling. That's what I'm trying to find out, whether it should be present?

by henryb1 Contributor
Contributor

While I must confess I'm a little confused as to what BTU means and indeed why we need to worry about whether we have features we can't use (network doesn't make them available) I can confirm I have a euro unlocked phone that after its auto update now has volte and Wi-Fi calling on UK ee despite the ee website saying I need ee firmware for the latter. 

Happy to answer more specific Qs if useful. 

by henryb1 Contributor
Contributor

Edit

For the former not latter 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@henryb1:

• BTU = UK generic unbranded (i.e. not network specific) firmware.
  • AUT (my S8) = Swiss generic unbranded (i.e. not network specific) firmware.

Are you on EE pay monthly?

FYI: I'm only asking out of interest so I can understand & advise others. Plus I am at liberty to move my phone onto a network that does provide these features in future.

by henryb1 Contributor
Contributor

Gotcha. Still not sure how I know if BTU... does that matter?

Yes, on EE pay monthly.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@henryb1

could you dial #*1234# and tell us what the CSC line says please?    if you have G950EVR in you have EE firmware.  BTU is uk unbranded.  

thank you.

by henryb1 Contributor
Contributor

Sure:

CSC: G950FOXM1CRD5

by Grand Master
Grand Master

G950FOXM1CRD5 could be any 1 of 32 firmware variants, mostly unbranded, a few branded, certainly not EE's but not necessarily UK BTU.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It is very interesting that it is not EVR yet has VoLTE now.    I think i'm going to have to flash BTU on mine if there is indeed no restriction on VoLTE.  Why would I stay on EVR and get NOTHING in return for it?   I will give the BTU a flash next week when i'm back on my proper PC.  I've always flashed my previous handsets to unbranded due to EE's update policy or lack of.  The only thing stopping me this time was the VoLTE resriction but if that is no more then i'm off to the land of regular security patches 🙂

Thank you to you both. 🙂 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

CRD7 has just made it to my EVR handset Before I managed to get back on a real PC and flash BTU. (I'm working away this week).  Hopefully this will help with the battery issue. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

My Swiss AUT S8 just updated itself for about the 4th time to:

AP: G950FXXU2CRED
CP: G950FXXU2CRE3
CSC: G950FOXM2CREB

I don't think UK BTU models have it yet if SamMobile is anything to go by.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.