by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded to PIXEL 3 from NEXUS 5 - NAT failed via hotspot

Hello Team

I am at wits end trying to solve this issue for last couple of months visiting EE store, talking to Sony and people who think they know something Smiley Tongue, you guys are my last resort.

I normally, use hotspot to connect to PS4 which was working completely fine with my Nexus 5 (please see picture).

MVIMG_20181115_131338.jpgPS 4 setting with NEXUS 5

However, greed of data made me upgrade to PIXEL 3, and now my hotspot does not work with PS4 - error - NAT FAILED. (please see next picture)

IMG_20181115_150608 (1).jpgPS 4 with PIXEL 3

However, if i use this new sim that i got in the old phone, i.e Nexus 5 works fine! I have tried changing APN EE internet settings and selected IPV4 but has not helped. Used Google DNS servers on PS 4 no luck. Not sure what else to do? Its a mission to change sims everytime.

I hope you gamers out there can understand my frustration.

Please any advice/encouragement or even better a solution would be most welcome.

Thank you for taking your time to read my rant.

Regards

25 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Upgraded to PIXEL 3 from NEXUS 5 - NAT failed via hotspot

Were both the Nexus and the Pixel both running on EE SIMs? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thanks for such a prompt reply. Yes the Nexus was initially running on an ee SIM and the pixel is now running on a new SIM which I got post upgrade. This new sim works on the old Nexus too and gives no NAT issues unlike the pixel.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Doctor_T

Are you able to connect other devices to your Nexus 5 hotspot and use the internet successfully?

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Try changing your hotspot name on your Pixel so it's not the same as the nexus5, and set it up again on the PS4, and make sure it's set to 2.4Ghz for it.

by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Affirmative Chris. I can connect to the internet. I can connect to the PS4 and use the internet too but cannot game online as NAT status fail.

by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chistery

Changed name of hotspot. Still no success Smiley Sad15471188150114410408515834294593.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The Nexus is quite old & may not support IPv6 whereas the Pixel probably does. I think the answer may lay in that area. Can the Pixel be forced to use IPv4 only?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for reply. No I cannot edit the EE settings but I set up a separate VPN mimicking the settings and changed to IPv 4. Still no luck. Please see below. These settings let me connect to the internet and connect the PS4 to the internet via hotspot but still NAT failed.  Screenshot_20190110-141254.png

Screenshot_20190110-141232.png

by

Hi @Doctor_T,

Have you tried asking for help over in the PlayStation Community?

I wonder if the issue can be resolved by changing some settings on the PS4?

Thanks

James

by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Hi James 

Yes I have thanks. They say issue is worth your service provider as the hotspot via ee sim works with Nexus ( NAT type 2). Switching it to pixel it doesn't using the same ee SIM. ( NAT failed).

As seen above, it connects to internet. The NaT issue needs to be addressed by your service provider.

Thank you Smiley Sad

by

Good Morning @Doctor_T.

Had anyone on the Playstation Community had similar issues and told you how they got it fixed?

Have you tried contacting our technical support team?

Jon

by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jon

People with similar issues said they got their ISP to sort it out.

I have contacted the technical support team who after evaluating the issue suggested I get a broadband connection Smiley Tongue.

It's not what I was hoping for but I understand they want to encourage customers to buy their products.

by

Thanks for getting back to me @Doctor_T.

Would broadband be an option for you? Smiley Happy

It definitely sounds like something needs to be changed in the settings of the phone.

Hopefully someone with a similar experience can help with this!

Jon

by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jon ,

I concur , it's a phone setting issue as the same SIM works on Nexus 5. Just the pixel 3 is being annoying. Ideas are welcome Smiley Happy

by

I know @Doctor_T!

I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye on this community and also the PlayStation Community to speak to other users.

Let us know if you find anything further Smiley Happy

Jon

by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

Nothing to report unfortunately Smiley Sad

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

What settings is your pixel 3 handing out as noticed in the screenshots your ip is same but dns and gateways are different. 

by Doctor_T Contributor
Contributor

15473408185417736046261277125994.jpgCurrent settings with pixel 3 on PS4

15473409004618743099758034557440.jpgPlease note NAT failed

Hi Mirdragon

Many thanks for your time and assistance, please see settings as requested .Hope you have a good weekend .

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mirdragon: They would be.

• The IP addy is the local IP of the PS4.
  • The Default Gateway & DNS are the local IP of the phone being hotspotted to.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.