by elverdiblanco Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Upgrade frustrations

My contract ended a couple of months ago so I've moved on to a SIM only contract while deciding what phone to upgrade to. First choice was the HTC U12+ but wifi calling did not work on that so I had to send it back. I did consider the Huawei P20 Pro at the time but then it was £800, I've noticed that it has had a big price decrease so I called today to try and upgrade. I was hoping to just stick with my SIM only contract and just buy the phone outright. I was rather surprised to hear that that was not possible and the agent suggested that if I wanted to do that I should get it from Huawei. It was then I mentioned wifi calling and I was rather dismayed to hear the sales team *still* adhering to the line that wifi calling will only work on phones purchased directly from EE when even the EE website says otherwise. The P20 Pro isn't listed on the website as one that will work when purchased from other retailers and as I've already had to send one phone back because of the wifi calling issue I don't want to have to do that again. Unfortunately none of the deals offered were better than simply buying the phone outright and using it with my EE SIM.

So, EE, why can't I just buy a phone from you?

Also, if anybody else has bought a P20 Pro direct from another retailer, does it work with EE wifi calling? Just because it isn't listed as a compatible device doesn't mean it won't work. There's plenty of evidence that the Oneplus 6 for example *does* work with EE wifi calling despite not being listed.

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Upgrade frustrations

@elverdiblanco  The only phones we sell out right are on payg. EE and no other network sells phones without a contract or PAYG and not all devices are available on PAYG. If EE was to sell just devices they wouldn’t make money as they would have to sell them at a higher price than the manufacturer to make a profit. 

by elverdiblanco Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Surely not, if EE order 50000 S9's from Samsung they're not going to be paying retail price for them.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @elvrediblanco

Some phones are only stocked for sale on pay monthly contracts.

Huawei P20/P20 Pro phones bought directly from EE do support WiFi calling.

We cannot guarantee that any phone purchased from another retailer would work with WiFi calling.

Chris

by hightower56

SOLUTION: I moved to a sim only contract and purchased my OnePlus 6 direct. After signal problems in my house I looked for the WiFi calling settings, like i had on my previous Samsung Galaxy S8. After 20mins of searching in the phone's settings and the internet, I successfully found where:

Phone settings > WiFi & Internet > SIM & network > SIM 1 (EE) > WiFi calling on/off

It may take 30 secs to then display, but it will then state EE WiFi Calling in the top left when you pull down from the top, or a VoWiFi icon in the top right.

The onepOne 6 is the best phone I've ever had, good to see that EE will be stocking the 6T.

by
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community @hightower56 Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing your solution.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.