by Gumgumfruit Investigator
Investigator

Unlock request

Despite talking to Customer Services and informing them of my IMEI number as it was not registered with my account I still had a SMS from the unlocking team that my IMEI number doesn't pair to my account. What next? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Unlock request

You will be, £8.99.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Did you buy this phone new direct from EE or is it 2nd hand?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Second hand. Told I wouldn't be charged for the unlock. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You will be, £8.99.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

Investigator

Thank you for your reply. I did speak with customer service after receiving the first SMS from the unlocking team. Conversation ended with me being told that they have now paired the correct IMEI number with my account and that the unlocking team would unlock it free of charge. Hopefully they have retained the recording of the conversation.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gumgumfruit    A secondhand device cannot be paired successfully with your account you will need to pay £8.99 to get it unlocked as all secondhand devices are charged £8.99 to become unlocked.  

Investigator

Just an update. Spoken again with EE. EE messaged me an email to provide proof of purchase. Photograph taken of receipt. Awaiting reply from unlocking team. 

Investigator

Update. Unlocking team contacted and informed as my Google Pixel XL was bought second hand, and it is  less than six months old, they cannot unlock it. 

The previous owner purchased it on a pay monthly contract in January. Oh well, will have to wait.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back and sharing this with community @Gumgumfruit

Have a great Sunday

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.