by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The "When will we get Oreo" thread

As Oreo starts rolling out on the S8 across the world i thought i'd create this thread to give EE a chance to give a statement on when we'll see it roll out here.

Also there's always a ton of people looking for information and creating new threads so here's the "When will we get Oreo" thread.

18 REPLIES 18
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: The "When will we get Oreo" thread

It's not out in UK yet.

I'll be one the first to get it.

Samsung promised it'll be a day early for beta testers which I was one.

There is no update as of yet on my handset

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

And so it starts...

1st @qucharski 🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_starts_rolling_out_android_80_oreo_update_for_the_galaxy_s8-news-29...

Have you seen the build number for this...

Who has the sense of humour at Samsung?

Samsung has started the roll out for its much anticipated Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ devices. Version SM-G955XXU1CRAP — is currently rolling out in Germany.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Not really as FONIX232 on sammobile states.

Not humor, but the naming scheme. Last 5 characters of the firmware version are: numeric for BL version, alphanumeric for the phone’s Samsung Experience/major update (C means third major update to the initial release of the phone), alphanumeric for the year (Q is 2017, R is 2018), alphanumeric for month (technically alphabetic, A to K), and alphanumeric for non-test-build of the given month.

So 1CRAP is: bootloader v1, third major release, 2018, january, P release.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

wrote:

Not really as FONIX232 on sammobile states.

Not humor, but the naming scheme. Last 5 characters of the firmware version are: numeric for BL version, alphanumeric for the phone’s Samsung Experience/major update (C means third major update to the initial release of the phone), alphanumeric for the year (Q is 2017, R is 2018), alphanumeric for month (technically alphabetic, A to K), and alphanumeric for non-test-build of the given month.

So 1CRAP is: bootloader v1, third major release, 2018, january, P release.

Don't make me post the "no fun allowed" picture!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Just seen a thread on Reddit which included a picture of how Vodafone Australia inform their customers of software updates and wow this is what EE should have!!

Even that little amount of info is a 100% more than EE, It makes you wonder why they don't do it.

Voda OZ.PNG

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Samsung still hasn't restarted the roll out from the issues they were finding yet so don't expect EE to release it yet 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@BrendonHwrote:

Samsung still hasn't restarted the roll out from the issues they were finding yet so don't expect EE to release it yet 

Of course, but it would be nice to know when EE are doing their bit like Bellyman shown.

If other carriers can do it, EE can too.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

You are correct about the S8 but the point is wouldn't it be great if that was on the EE portal for all to see and get information on all devices.

If not why not?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Bellymanwrote:

You are correct about the S8 but the point is wouldn't it be great if that was on the EE portal for all to see and get information on all devices.

If not why not?

Because probably nobody at EE has thought of it yet.

They'll have a project team for this, and I'm sure they'll have a project list internally. Publishing their testing list wouldn't exactly cause them any harm, and is a cheap way to give transparency to the carrier approval process for Android updates.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I raised this very idea about 2 years ago and after much badgering i was told there was something coming.. It seems that something was nothing and again i'm left wondering why.

@TiffJ Whatever happened to that something and why does EE want to keep things so so secret.

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

I suggested it several times as well. It so obviously a good idea. Other carriers put the software update details on the individual device support page.

Whilst they don't publish specific information some UK networks will explain at what stage a software update is. EE could take the lead here and be open and honest. 

I upgraded through a third party last time, not only was it better value but I got the standard SIM-Free version which has had regular security updates.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

It's a shame EE doesn't see this simple and massively impacting addition to their product as a worthy market differentiator.

This is the most "business" message i've ever written hahaha but you never know it might light a bulb over someone in EE.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The Oreo roll out has restarted again today in Germany 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@BrendonHwrote:

The Oreo roll out has restarted again today in Germany 

Same build or a new one?

If it's the same build then were the issues caused by other factors?

Edit: New Build:

Galaxy S8/S8+ owners that have already got their hands on Oreo will be receiving new ~530MB hotfix builds that will likely prevent their phones from facing the same issues. The two builds are G950FXXU1CRB7 for the S8 and G955XXU1CRB7 for the S8+.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Another screenshot from Reddit and another mobile company going totally crazy and sharing worthwhile information to its customers, this time in Canada.

EE must be thinking "What is this madness!!! Why let out such secrets!!"

fida.PNG

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

They aren' actually telling you when they are going to be released though are they.

They just saying they're in testing which means nothing as they would start testing very quickly after receiving the stock firmware.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Nope but they're willing to do something and could expand on it and even that tiny bit is 100% more than EE.

I'm sure if EE really wanted to they could do it better and faster and with more Kevin Bacon that anyone else... wonder why not.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.