by
EE Community Support Team

The Motorola razr is back. Here’s everything you need to know!

Almost everyone who was born before a certain date remembers the original Motorola razr. It was one of those truly iconic gadgets that defined an era much like the Walkman or the Nokia 3310.

Well it’s back, and just like its predecessor the new Motorola razr is breaking ground with a totally unique form factor that uses folding screen technology in a bold new way.

VOYAGER_Community_980x980_1.jpgMotorola razr

It’s the flip phone you remember and love, re-invented

In a world where phones only seem to be getting bigger the Motorola razr heads in completely the opposite direction.

This is a flip phone, compact and pocket-ready but unlike the original this one has a trick up its sleeve. Gone is the old keypad and in its place is a stunning full-length touch screen display.

Using ground-breaking flexible OLED screen technology, the razr’s display is able to completely fold in half.

VOYAGER_Community_980x980_3.jpg

It has a screen worthy of the latest blockbusters

Open the razr up and you’ll be greeted with the stunning 6.2-inch OLED Flex View display.

Stretching from edge to edge the Flex View display has a 21:9 CinemaVision aspect ratio which are the same ultra-wide dimensions that you’ll find in the film industry.
That means you’ll be able to watch your favourite films in the size they were intended, no annoying black bars at the top and the bottom.

Two screens are better than one

Close the razr and you’ll be presented with the second Quick View display. This smaller touch-screen display has been designed to help you tackle things while on the go.
Respond to notifications, change your music or even use Google Assistant all without needing to open the device.

You can even take great-looking selfies using the razr’s 16MP main camera. Just twist your wrist with the phone closed and the Quick View display will pop into life and show you the camera.

VOYAGER_Community_980x980_6.jpg

A camera worthy of the razr

The 16MP main camera is packed with advanced technology and features that enable you to take the best photos quickly and easily.

Night Vision lets you take stunning photos in darker conditions by combining eight frames at different exposures.

Built-in AI can optimise a scene based on what it’s looking at while AI-powered Portrait Lighting lets you apply dramatic lighting effects to your portrait mode photos.

VOYAGER_Community_980x980_7.jpg

Built for the real world

If you owned the original razr you’ll remember it stood apart from other phones thanks to its incredible build-quality. It was made from metal, not plastic and had those laser-cut keys that gave a satisfying click when you pressed them.

The new Motorola razr embodies that same spirit. A strong metal chassis keeps the phone utterly ridged when the display is extended while an effortlessly smooth hinge mechanism lets you shut the phone with a reassuring snap.

The razr is also water-repellent, so while you won’t be able to dunk it in a pool you can at least be safe in the knowledge that you won’t get caught short in the rain.

VOYAGER_Community_980x980_5.jpg

The Motorola razr is available to order now.

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: The Motorola razr is back. Here’s everything you need to know!

@Jon_K   And more information about  this HERE.   

and a few specs 

• Main internal folding screen: 21:9 aspect ratio, 2142 x 876 pixels, 6.2-inch POLED (plastic OLED)
  • Front screen: 4:3 aspect ratio, 800 x 600 pixels, 2.7-inch GOLED (glass OLED)
  • 16MP main camera, f/1.7 aperture
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 processor
  • 6GB RAM
  • 128GB storage
  • 2510mAh battery capacity
  • 15W TurboPower fast-charge
  • Fingerprint scanner on the front in the bottom 'chin' (there's no face unlock)
  • Speakers also mounted in the front chin
  • One USB-C slot on the bottom of the phone
  • No expandable storage slot
  • No SIM slot (the phone uses eSIM)
  • No headphone jack
by

Thanks @Chris_B, great info!

by Claches567

Can’t wait for this icons launch. Had a few of these back in the day so will definitely be intrigued to see this. Looking forward to the release.

by

Glad to hear you're excited, @Claches567 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jon_K   I’ll be looking at one as soon as I can as I loved  the original Razr and this looks great, this possibly will mean move over iPhone there’s a new toy in town. 

by

That's a big statement, @Chris_B!

You must be really interested in this if you're thinking of switching from iPhone 😁

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jon_K   Yep.  I’ve checked what it will cost me to upgrade early even though this device is not available till next year.    

by

At least you're thinking well ahead, @Chris_B 🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I'm sorry did I read that correctly?

@Chris_B  might be moving away from iPhone?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jon_K   And it’ll be cheaper to pay off the contract next year.   If I do decide to get this ( probably will ) my daughter is going to go mad if I don’t give her my iPhone.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BrendonH   Yes that’s correct.  I’m really looking forward to having a go with this device. 

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

It's an interesting time in general for Android.

With the uncertainty of Huawei's future operating system and Samsung devices full of bloat by the time you get them, there's an opening for a new brand to take off.

I'll see what the pricing is like before I take the plunge..

by

Hi @KROSOTV.

If you sign up to our Coming Soon page, you will get all the latest information on the new Motorola 🙂

Jon

by Pryde Investigator
Investigator

I have one pre ordered on an upgrade but depending on Samsung Unpacked i may cancel and get the Z flip.

by

Let us know what you decide to go for @Pryde

Are you excited for tonight?

Leanne 🙂

by Pryde Investigator
Investigator

To be honest I can see a lot of people canceling and going for the Flip, Motorola dropped the ball by delaying. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Pryde   The Z Flip has a disclaimer about the screen saying it will crease. 

by Pryde Investigator
Investigator

Spec wise from what we know the flip outshines the Razr and that matters a lot to people

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.