by Johntaylor17 Investigator
Investigator

Sony xperia xz1 compact updates

Evening all, I've got a Sony Xperia xz1 compact that I brought unlocked and use an ee sim. 

I havent had any android security updates since September and also haven't had the pie update. 

Has anyone else had this problem  Sony pointed me to ee who have onlt said they roll out updates as required. 

Cheers

John 

17 REPLIES 17
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Sony xperia xz1 compact updates

Hi @Johntaylor17

Welcome to the EE Community,

Did you buy the phone unlocked ?

if you bought it sim free then the update would come from Sony not the network.

@BrendonH can you shed some light on this ?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you bought it unlocked it can't be an EE phone. EE won't be issuing the updates to it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Johntaylor17.

I would recommend giving Sony a call to ensure that you are receiving appropriate updates for your model of handset. 

Please let us know how you get on, 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

Spoken to Sony who have confirmed that the networks control the rollout of any updates.

I've asked ee about this again and the silence is deafening, thinking of going to BBC watchdog as this must be leaving users vulnerable to security issues. 

by

Good Afternoon @Johntaylor17.

Thank you for coming back to the community. 

As previously advised by @David and @XRaySpeX your software updates are developed and rolled out by the manufacturer, rather than by EE. 

Some manufacturers choose to make separate software builds for individual networks, but as you didn't purchase your phone from EE, your phone will be running generic Sony software. 

You can find out more in How EE works to test smartphone software updates.

Katie 🙂

Investigator

Received the message below earlier today 

"Good morning John, thanks for your message.

We always aim to deliver software updates to customers in as efficient a manner as possible. We work tirelessly to make sure that any updates do not have a negative impact on how your phone behaves on a day-to-day basis, so we test them thoroughly. If anything is found, the manufacturer usually needs a week or two to fix these and then send back to us to re-test.

When an update is available this will be sent to your phone. Keep an eye out on our dedicated android page for all the lastest info on software updates. 

Thanks -Brogan"

This in no way answers the question of why have I stopped receiving security updates since September. Both Sony and ee seem to be pointing the finger at each other and in the meantime users are being left at risk of security breaches. 

Maybe I need to speak to BBC watchdog to raise this issue and highlight the lack of service being provided.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The service you pay for is Calls, Text, Data. Updates are free.

You say you stopped receiving updates in September. Well accordng to some articles ad it isn't clear i it is the case or not tat Sony only give support for 1 year on their mid range phones.

So this seems about right. So it'll be Sony not EE

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by moopig Investigator
Investigator

I have the same problem.

I have an unlocked UK Sony XZ1c (G8441) with standard Android 8.0.0 (Oreo) firmware.  I'm on software build 47.1.A.16.20 and security patch "1 September 2018".  It's February 2019 and I haven't had any Android 8 updates since last September.  There's a page on the Sony seb site where you can enter your IMEI and it also says there are no updates pending for my phone.

I haven't seen any sign of the Android 9 (Pie) update either.  It appears that some people in the UK have had it (seems to be mainly EE phones) and some have not (unlocked phones).  Posts in some forums are suggesting that Sony have halted the Pie roll-out because of problems with it.  I don't know if that's true or if it's just that Sony have forgotten about our UK variant.  That has happened to me twice before, years ago, with an unlocked Nokia phone and an LG tablet - the rest of the world carried on getting firmware updates while the UK variants stopped getting them.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@moopig: Like the OP your software updates are rolled out by the manufacturer, rather than by EE. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by moopig Investigator
Investigator

My phone notified me this this morning (2019-02-20) that a system update from 47.1.A.16.20 (Android 8.0.0) with September 2018 security patch to version 47.2.A.4.45 is available for me to install.  This is the Android 9.0 update with December 2018 security patch.

It looks like the non-EE Sony Xperia XZ1c phones in the UK are getting Android Pie now.

Investigator

Yes I received this as well and updated my phone. 

Hope it means back to business as normal now!! 

by moopig Investigator
Investigator

I got the January 2019 security patch this morning on my Android 9 phone.  It looks like we might be back to business as usual.

I accidentally triggered the 8.0 to 9.0 update yesterday (I was trying to find the patch notes to see what was in it and tapped the wrong button).  I hadn't backed up my phone but the update didn't trash all my apps, data and settings.  However, it wasn't long before I discovered that wi-fi calling no longer worked.  Turning it on in the settings seemed to work in the settings menu but what actually happened was that location got turned on for some reason, no "Wi-Fi Calling" note appeared in the status bar and the "4G" disappeared, and all voice calls still went over cellular.  Since I have almost no cellular signal in my home I needed this fixed.  The only way I could get wi-fi calling to work again on my non-EE XZ1c after the Android 9 update was to do a factory reset on the phone.  It seems to be fine now.

by

Hi @moopig

Most manufacturers recommend a factory reset if you have any problems following a software update.

Glad it's all sorted. 🙂

Chris

by moopig Investigator
Investigator

Everything still seems to be working OK on my XZ1c after the Android 9 update and factory reset.  I think I prefered the Android 8.0 user interface and I can't say that I've yet noticed any significant differences in the way it functions under the bonnet, so I'm not all that excited about the update, but there are no real problems with it.  It's probably worth having just to stay current because Android 8 support will fade out before Android 9.

However, there is one weird and annoying new Android 9 behaviour related to wi-fi calling...

I always run with Bluetooth, near field comms, location and scanning all switched off.  After the Android 9 update I noticed that any change to the wi-fi status has a high probability of the location setting getting turned back on again.  Turning on wi-fi calling almost always requires an immediate visit to Settings --> Google --> Location to turn it off again.  Connecting to a wi-fi network (even a known one) can also cause Location to get turned back on, although this might just be because wi-fi calling is getting enabled at the same time.  I'm not sure why this happens.  Is it normal Pie behaviour?

by

Good Morning @moopig

Has this ever happened before?

I am not aware of any problems regarding Pie, if you continue to have problems I would recommend speaking with our technical care team.

Katie 🙂

by moopig Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Katie_B.

I had used the Sony XZ1c phone for a year with Android 8.0 and Wi-Fi Calling and never once noticed that Location was turning on by itself.  Since the Android 9 update last week it does it a lot, sometimes several times a day, and it always occurs when connecting to a wi-fi network or when enabling Wi-Fi Calling.  Everything else with Pie appears to be OK (apart from my grumbles about some cosmetic changes).

by

Hi @moopig

That does not sound right,

Have you spoke with our technical care team?

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.