Highlighted
by eccentricemo Investigator
Investigator

Samsung galaxy smart watch 4g

Hi my partner wants to get me the samsung galaxy 4g smart watch however we cannot see if this can be bought outright instead of paying monthly.

is this possible? as i already have a contract for 55 a month so dont want to be paying any more monthly for something thats going to be using my current plan anyway? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Samsung galaxy smart watch 4g

It can't be bought outright you need the monthly plan as you can't just add it to your current plan to use it on the 4G services. The £20 a month is to pay for its own tariff and the watch itself.

If you do buy it outright from another source like eBay you won't be able to use it 4G compatabilities.

Samsung direct are not even selling the watch. The only seller is EE.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the STAR/SOLUTION buttons below
21 REPLIES 21
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

It can't be bought outright you need the monthly plan as you can't just add it to your current plan to use it on the 4G services. The £20 a month is to pay for its own tariff and the watch itself.

If you do buy it outright from another source like eBay you won't be able to use it 4G compatabilities.

Samsung direct are not even selling the watch. The only seller is EE.

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

I would not bother at the moment. I bought one on contract and it is a total waste of money. It cannot be used on its own without your phone (despite what the salesperson said in the EE shop AND I can only get around 12 to 15 hours between charges and that's at night in sleep mode. I am a Samsung fan but this is a waste of time and money in my opinion.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@exwafu

Youbare talking a load ofrubbish you are making claims you don't know or have experience of.

You can make calls without your phone

You can receive calls without your phone.

I am getting 3 to 4 days before having to recharge the battery again. 

You are saying 15 hours based on what?

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

Brendon

How rude. If you cannot be civil please do NOT reply to my comments. 

As it is, I do know what I am 5alking about. I purchased the 4G let version on contract just before Christmas. I was assured by the EE salesperson in the shop that this watch will work abroad as a stand alone because it is attached to your EEmobile phone number. It does not work abroad, even in the EU. I have subsequently googled this and whilst on the EE website it does state that it will only function as a stand alone in the UK it does not get away from the fact that the EE salesperson got it wrong.

Secondly, I also know what I am talking about. My watch is lasting just 12 to 15 hours on a full charge which is useless. When you Google this problem it would appear this is something that has happened after one of the watch updates and other people have had to return their watches to Samsung to be repaired as it was a battery fault.

If you want a watch to make calls just in the UK then great, it might be for you but when EE are selling these things AND they have their own EE number it does not make sense that you cannot make and receive calls when you are abroad.

Finally, I reiterate if you cannot be civil in your replies do not make them. If you are offensive again in your replies I will report you to EE. This is not the idea of the forum.

by TrickyG

be Re: Samsung galaxy smart watch 4g

TBF, you didn't mention the important word "abroad" in your original post!

by soundtrax Investigator
Investigator

Re: be Re: Samsung galaxy smart watch 4g

exwafu. To be fair the previous post is correct. Many others and I have no problem as you encounter. Suggest you go back to your local EE shop and raise your complaint.

Investigator

By the way exwafu, I was in France, Belgium and the Netherlands this week and my Galaxy Watch worked perfect on calls, texts and emails. :smileyvery-happy:

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

Yes but not standalone???? You had to be connected to your phone???

My problem is that the salesman in the shop specifically said it would work (standalone) even in Europe. 

Investigator

You might have a dud watch. I went to the local shop today and the next thing I knew my wrist was vibrating, (I had forgotten my phone), and there was her indoors giving me instructions what else to get. Samsung must/may help. EE SHOULD help.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @exwafu,

Have you spoken to our customer care team since you first reported your issue here in December?

Our Tech Gurus will be able to take a look at your account and set up to ensure everything is working as it should with your plan.

Was it an EE retail store you purchased the watch from last year?

Alex 🙂

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

It will work in the UK standalone but definitely not outside the UK. I assume that is the same with you???

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

It will work in the UK standalone but definitely not outside the UK. I assume that is the same with you???

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alex,

Yes, I spoke to EE customer services but was advised because I go it from the EE shop in Chichester they could not help me and that I need to take it up with them, something I have not been able to do at the moment.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @exwafu.

Our Tech Gurus will be able to assist you if there is a connectivity problem with the watch as they would raise a ticket to get it investigated.

If the watch is faulty, you would need to go back to the store, I appreciate you may not of had time yet 🙂

Jon

by Bradley111
Visitor

I have also had problem of being able to use in abroad even in the EU they told me only Last week when  I got it I would be able to use it and had problems setting up the 4g and said on phone I would be abroad they said that won't be a problem since then I have found out that it does not work and cant return watch to shop as I'm away for 2 months

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

No. You can't buy the 4G version outright at the moment. I tried but was told no. The other problem is what happens when the contract is up. They currently do not have anything in place

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Contracts dont end unless you have to cancel them.

You'll just continue to pay the monthly fee until you cancel 

by exwafu Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you Brendon but with a phone at the end of the contract you can go to PAYG or Sim only. EE at the moment do not have an answer to what happens at the end of the watch contract (well that's what I was told by the EE shop in Chichester). One assumes they will address that over the next 12 months when the first watch contracts expire.

by Lambert72
Visitor

Hi just got the Samsung galaxy watch and to use it aboard you need to enable the watch in settings it comes as standard turned off

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.