by liamscor Contributor
Contributor

Samsung S8 Plus VoLTE

Hello,

I just joined ee on sim only deal. I have the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus bought direct from samsung with the oxm csc. I notice on the ee website is says 4g calling will only work if bought from ee. However on my phone, it now shows volte next to 4g in the top bar. I also now have an option to turn it on. Just wondering if ee have done something to allow it to work.

Regards,

Liam

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Samsung S8 Plus VoLTE

Yes, that's the latest firmware. Both VoLTE & WiFi Calling are available on that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are your firmware versions given by dialling *#1234# ? They're all "OXM"; need more.

Both VoLTE & VoWiFi are available on S8s with the Oreo v8.0.0 update.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by liamscor Contributor
Contributor

Hi XRaySpex,

Thank-you for your response. I have inserted a screenshot of the firmware.

Device firmware.jpg

Regards,

Liam

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, that's the latest firmware. Both VoLTE & WiFi Calling are available on that.

by liamscor Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for confirming.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by Ollie2222 Contributor
Contributor

If I'm understanding correctly then 4G and wifi calling will now work with handsets bought directly from Samsung or a tird party such as Carphone Warehouse providing they have the latest firmware.

If this is the case then do you happen to know if this also applies to the S9 and the S9+?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It is handset specific. The S8 only started to work close to the S9 coming out.

My guess is that they want you to buy the new S9 with them.

Maybe @Christopher_G could clarify?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Ollie2222 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply and info,

The general info on the web seems to be that the S8 and S9 need to be purchased directly from EE but I've come across a couple of references to people saying the latest firmware allowed stock versions to work but there seems to be a lot of misinformation around and I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Ollie2222,

EE WiFi Calling is supported on S9's not purchased from EE, but please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports WiFi Calling, as we cannot guarantee phones purchased from third parties will support the feature.

EE 4G Calling is only supported on S9's purchased from EE at this time.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

James

by Ollie2222 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply and info, that matches with what I've generally read.

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @Ollie2222 Smiley Happy

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.