Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Samsung Galaxy S9 not compatible with EE Signal Box?

Hi

I have just moved from a Galaxy S7 to an S9. I have an EE Signal box which has worked fine with the S7 for some time, however the S9 is unable to establish a 3G data connection via the Signal Box. Voice works fine, but the 3G, H or H+ never appears on the S9 and the "Network" app just shows a status of "Connecting"

I can connect to a 3G main cell for voice and data only for voice via the Signal Box. The phone settings have been checked and reset by CS as has the Signal Box registration etc, but still no data.

I suspect an incompatibility of some kind - has anyone else found this or know of a fix?

Thanks

Peter

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 not compatible with EE Signal Box?

Hi, I've got to a solution thanks to ideas from your colleague in 2nd line whose name I omitted to ask (I'll be talking to him later). It seems that if the APN Protocol settings for Internet are set to IPv4/IPv6, the Galaxy S9 tries to use IPV6 (only?) rather than dropping back IPV4 and this will not allow a connection via the Signal Box. If I set the APN Protocol just to IPV4 it will connect.

If your settings are locked (ie the default ones), you need to send new settings to your phone via http://setup-ee.wdsglobal.com/internet and then change the APN protocol to IPV4. I guess that they may have changed something in the IP stack in Oreo which stops the default settings working.

Peter

12 REPLIES
by Legend
Legend

Hi @whiskerp

You don't need to use the signal box with the S9 as it should connect via VOWIFI if you are pay a pay monthly customer. 

If not then try going into settings - network and changing the settings down to 3G.  Does that helps? Also try download the correct phone settings here

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Yes, I know about VoWIFI but the issue still is there - I am not looking for a workaround but to solve whatis wrong with the 3G USC3331 femtocell signal and an S9.  It worked with my S7 last week and works currently with other peoples' phones but not with my S9. I can connect to 3G and 4G cells outdoors (both connect with data) but when I connect to the femtocell (which is all I see indoors) I only get voice. The "Network" app shows the status of the data connection as "Connecting". I have seen it briefly connect for about 10 seconds and then disconnect again. I am next to the SignalBox so there is plenty of signal. As I say, there are other phones connected with data but not mine!

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @whiskerp and welcome to the community.

This is indeed very strange.

Have you spoken to our technical team to look into this further for you?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @Lee_H

Yes, and got transferred to level 2 support and they are mystified also. He is trying to get some logs and will call me back - I just though I'd ask to see if any of the community have also had problems like this.

Peter

by

No worries @whiskerp

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Still working through this with 2nd line. Looking at possible IPv6/IPv4 APN issues. Will know more on Monday.

by

Morning @whiskerp

Thanks for the update.

Let us know how it goes on Monday.

Leanne Smiley Happy

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Hi, I've got to a solution thanks to ideas from your colleague in 2nd line whose name I omitted to ask (I'll be talking to him later). It seems that if the APN Protocol settings for Internet are set to IPv4/IPv6, the Galaxy S9 tries to use IPV6 (only?) rather than dropping back IPV4 and this will not allow a connection via the Signal Box. If I set the APN Protocol just to IPV4 it will connect.

If your settings are locked (ie the default ones), you need to send new settings to your phone via http://setup-ee.wdsglobal.com/internet and then change the APN protocol to IPV4. I guess that they may have changed something in the IP stack in Oreo which stops the default settings working.

Peter

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@leanne_T @Lee_H @Northerner

Yes, just to thank Jamie ****** in EE Tech 2nd line for this solution Smiley Happy

It seems to handle IPv4/IPv6 OK with the main 3G UMTS network, just not with (some?) of the Cisco Signal Boxes.

[MOD EDIT: Employee surname has been removed for safety and security]

by

Brilliant @whiskerp

I'm glad you are now sorted Smiley Happy

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The BRF8 update seems to have solved this issue properly and it now works on the IPv4+IPv6 default setting in the APN.

by

Brilliant @whiskerp

I'm glad you are now sorted Smiley Happy

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.