by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Review

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Review

DSC02664.JPG

Design

The design of this phone is top notch. You can tell time and money has gone into making this phone. The glass all round, the almost bezel-less surround. The plus size phone is not too big for my small hands. The lack of home button on the front has done wonders for the design as I think having a home button there would have looked out of place.

Screen

DSC02666.JPG

The screen on this phone is impressive. Its Infinity Display makes it look like there is no edge on the phone and it just curves round the back. The screen size on this phone is 6.2" thanks to its curved corners.

You can set the resolution to suit your needs. This phone has the default setting of FHD+ (2220x1080) or the best setting on any phone at the moment of WQHD+ (2960x1440). You could also move it down to only HD+ (1480x720). I keep it on FHD+ to preserve battery life, I have moved it to WQHD+ to see the difference and you can see the difference but it is marginal.

The phone (like the S7) also comes with AOD (Always on Display) and you can set it to what you want (clock, calender or picture). It is handy at night whilst it is in the standing up wireless charger to see the time instantly and it doesn't shed any light into the room.

Software

Samsung's Touchwiz has been critisized for years for being bloated and un user friendly. Well people with Nougat on the S7 would agree that Samsung have polished up their Touchwiz and made it more slimline. You can uninstall the apps you don't want. They do come with the phone but are not attached to it. You can actually uninstall them.

The looks of the New Samsung Touchwiz is great. it looks more slimline, the app icons are sleeker. It is close to the material design you get with stock android.

Camera

The camera quality is good. The pictures are sharp and crisp. It's the same camera that is used on the S7 with 12 Megapixels but this has been upgraded a little giving it an aperture of f/1.7. Samsung calls this the Dual Pixel. The front camera is where the big upgrade has happened. So if you are the type to take selfies then the new improved 8 megapixel camera on the front would do wonders for you. This is up from the S7's 5 megapixel. I do not take selfies myself but I have played about with the Samsung snapchat type filters. Made some amusing between me and the wife.

Battery

Now this is the dreaded area everyone is asking about. The battery in this phone small compared to what the phone is and what it can do. But Samsung has done some wok on this to make the phone more efficient and needing less juice.

There is a 3,500 mAh battery in the S8 Plus (3,000 in the standard S8). The S7 edge battery had 3,600 mAh. So they have obviously made the battery smaller to fit in all the compenents needed to make the phone what is is.

I myself can't compare the battery on the S8 to the S7 edge as I didn't own an S7 so I'll compare it with my old S6 edge. The S6 edge had 2,600 mAh. So yes there is a big difference in battery size between my 2 phones. My S6 edge had to be charged up in the afternoon whilst I was at work. My S8+ lasts all day and by time I finish work I have just over 50% left. Enough for me to walk back to my car playing Pokemon Go from work door to car door. (I also play on my walk into work) and then use the phone whilst in the car streaming Chris Country FM and then the usual use I give it in the evening at home whilst sat infront of the TV.

Samsung had had some stick with the size of the battery in the S8 and S8 Plus but I think this is not an issue first thought. It is lasting the day (with my sub heavy use). Yes I have the screen set on the default FHD+ and not WQHD+ but there is only a slight difference there and I do move it to WQHD+ when watching films on it etc.

Samsung also says the battery loss over time in the S8 and S8 Plus will be suffiently less than prevous phones thanks to the way they worked on the battery life over the years. But only time will tell if this is true or not.

Conclusion

This is a great phone and the promotional material is true. This is no longer a smartphone: It is a super phone. I may be biased in this as I am a massive Samsung fan and have owned the Galaxy S range from S3 to now (except S7). But I think this phone could convert not only Apple users but other Android users to Samsung. Samsung has really raised the bar of what a phone can do. This is what Samsung does. They innovate and they do what other manufacturers say you can't do. We may even see the first foldable screen phon this year from Samsung.

If you have any questions about the S8 then feel free to ask below. I'll try my best to answer as well as other community members on here will.

If you're tempted then get one with EE here!

Brendon (Android Expert)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Oreo 8.0)
17 REPLIES
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Review

by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Thanks for a great review @BrendonH! I'm going to pop a voucher in the post for dinner on us to say thanks! 

_thumb_67414.png

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thank you @TiffJ Smiley Happy

Hope it encourages people to even think about Samsung as this phone is the best phone I have ever used or played with.

Brendon (Android Expert)
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@BrendonH wrote:

Thank you @TiffJ Smiley Happy

Hope it encourages people to even think about Samsung as this phone is the best phone I have ever used or played with.

I've watched many reviews on this and all the reviews are very positive. If you like Android, this is the best phone that's been released. 

Great review Smiley Happy

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The lack of software updates puts me off though. Samsung and EE aren't exactly known for their speedy updates. It's about time they commited to proper updates for the life of the contract.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Samsung has gotten better and faster with updates 

Brendon (Android Expert)
by Bosshogg Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@BrendonH wrote:

Shame EE has not.

Good review. I love mine.😁

Electronic Engineer by day.
Geek by night.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Bosshogg wrote:

@BrendonH wrote:

Shame EE has not.

Good review. I love mine.😁

So far on the S8 EE have released the EVR update at the exact same time as BTU.  Encouraging.  Hope they keep it up after the previous updates fiasco re: S6 et al.  

Established Contributor

@BrendonH

How you finding the battery in your plus. 

I have the S8. Since I got it, I have been off work post transplant so it's not been getting "normal" use. 

Yesterday I was back in hospital. 

Off charger between 0700 until I got home at 2000.( good old NHS, supposed to be taken at 1000) 

SOT of 6hrs. Went home with 40%.

Amazing .

Geek by night.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Battery is amazing.

Lasting all day although I constantly have Pokemon go open.

Brendon (Android Expert)
by
EE Employee

Wow @Bosshogg and @BrendonH

That sounds amazing - think I'm going to have to jump ship when it's time for my upgrade!

Smiley Happy

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I would defiantly recommend @Karen_C one of the best phones on the market and having the choice of 2 sizes.

The S8 is big but the S8+ is in phablet territory. It not much smaller than the Note 7 was and will only be slightly smaller than the Note 8

Brendon (Android Expert)
by
EE Employee

I think I would definitely go for the standard S8 at first.

I've been an iPhone user since the 3....it would be a scary jump eeeek!

Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

I'm a bit of a phone switcher. Had a fair few recently. At home currently have a work S7, wife's OnePlus3T and the kids iphone se's. Tried the LG6 for a weekend also. 

As a complete package the S8 blows them out the water. Everything else feels dated in the hand in comparison. Not any quicker day to day  than my own OnePlus3 that I recently sold, but far more complete. 

Great camera, great screen, amazing battery. Just works. 

@Karen_C

Don't know how you do the whole iPhone thing 😁, I lasted about 3 days with one once, wanted to throw it in the sea. 

Nb I chose the non plus as the plus wouldn't fit in my inbuilt wireless car charger / signal booster slot. 

Try them both in store before deciding. They are deceiving due to the screen ratio. Not as big as you think and quite easy to use one handed. For a gorilla like me anyway. 

Geek by night.
by
EE Employee

It took a while @Bosshogg but eventually I was stuck - It helped that I also won two of the devices I owned!

I was a Nokia lover prior to that. Smiley LOL

I've got quite small hands and I'm quite clumsy so think I'd be a danger with the plus - but you never know, I'll definitely try them for size before I decide.

It's the battery that sells it massively for me - most days I have to charge before 3 in the afternoon.

My son's got an SE and he's already making hints for a 6s for Christmas!!! He's got no chance.

Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

@Karen_C

Ha. Has your son been speaking with my daughter? 😁, she has exactly the same idea. 

Also, nae chance. 🤣. 

The battery in my 8 really is amazing. I have been spoiled with Dash charge in the OnePlus3 / T, it really does change your charging habits. But in some respects it masks the small battery / un optimised software issue. 

The 8 with the same size battery really does last a full working day with enough to last into the evening. 

Let us know when you get your ( very small 😁) hands on one. 

Geek by night.
by
EE Employee

Hmm probably @Bosshogg they make you laugh don't they!

Can you imagine if they needed to use a phonebox! Smiley LOL

I certainly will do - think I've got a couple of months left till I can get my hands on one.

Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.