by garywod84 Investigator
Investigator

Samsung Galaxy S7 update for KRACK WPA2 vulnerability

Samsung has recently released an update for the Galaxy S7 to patch the KRACK WPA2 vulnerability

When will this update be released by EE? This is a significant vulnerability and the update needs to be distributed without delay.

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 update for KRACK WPA2 vulnerability

Hi, 

When any update is available for your phone it will tell you. 

EE don't release update schedules. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Thanks @Northerner.

EE needs to deal with this as a matter of great urgency. Flagship phones are widely used, and this is a serious vulnerability. It's not acceptable for EE customers to have to wait more than a week after Samsung releases patches for them to be rolled out.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @garywod84,

Welcome to the EE Community.

As @Northerner said, you will receive a notification on your phone when Samsung make the update available for the EE version of your phone.

Thanks

James

Investigator

So, to be clear: is the delay here Samsung or EE? My understanding was that Samsung release a generic update, and then EE creates a version for its customers. Is that not correct? If not, and we're waiting for Samsung, I'll contact Samsung directly.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This should be a very easy thing for an EE representative to clarify but they will not or will not be allowed to.

EE will be unable or unwilling to provide you with any information on your issues and concerns. Instead choosing to give templated standard replies which will only increase your frustration.

Yes EE have involvement in all software for their devices and they will never give any information on this involvement or the roll out of the software.

Seeking information is seen to be a dirty thing to do and they would rather keep it all a secret all the while the device manufacturers are more than happy to give information.

Take from that what you will and welcome to the EE The Fastest network with the slowest updates .... for some reason... you won't find out why but trust us your device will tell you when there's an update.... oh and if not it's someone elses fault even when they say its not... 
Investigator

This isn't frustrating. It's downright unacceptable. EE has provided devices to customers which have a recognised, critical security flaw, which has been fixed by the manufacturer, and it's irresponsible of EE not to make that fix available to its customers immediately. 

I understand that there are certain features that EE customises, for security patches should remain the responsibility of the manufacturer, so that, in this case, Samsung could push them out to users directly.

I'm going to seek some clarification from Samsung on this, and then we can decide how to take it forward if the ball is in EE's court. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

What you are feeling and experiencing is something many have for a long long time.

Have a look back over past threads for every android device supplied via EE and you will see the same story, do check the Samsung S6 threads in particular.

You are using an EE supplied device not a Samsung supplied device and your expectations of that device and the software will not match the manufacturer intentions.

As you're finding out the worse thing is you won't get any information at all and your feelings and frustrations ignored. Even worse for us long term users who have looked into this thoroughly NOTHING changes and people like yourself keep finding this out and becoming frustated

If only they gave some information on their website,  Information is good isn't it EE
Investigator

@Bellyman,

Thanks for your reply. I've contacted Samsung. It has confirmed that security updates are released directly, not via phone providers, so EE is not in fact involved here. The updates are apparently released in batches, so that they can be tested by the first users to get them, before everyone gets them!

by
EE Employee

Hi @garywod84

We at EE want to ensure that these updates are released to customers in a timely manner, and that the customer experience is at an acceptable level.

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates. As soon as the manufacturer makes an update available for your phone, you will receive a notification.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

We at EE want to ensure that these updates are released to customers in a timely manner, and that the customer experience is at an acceptable level.

Hi @Lee_H

I appreciate this reassurance that EE will not withhold security patches. However, I think there's more you need to do here to put pressure on manufacturers like Samsung to release patches in a timely manner. 

Samsung is not being sufficiently responsive in getting this crucial update out to end users, and is acting irresponsibly by rolling it out so slowly when this is a major vulnerability.

Apple patched this vulnerability before it was eveng announced publicly, so there is really no excuse for Samsung to be taking so long.

by
EE Employee

Hi @garywod84

I will certainly pass your details over to the relevant team.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.