by bronxx Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Samsung Galaxy S7 Oreo Android 8.0 EE EVR standby battery drain.

I have received an Oreo update this morning on my SGS7, unfortunately my phone now suffers from well known bug which is battery drain on standby. To cut the long story short, I would like to know if EE is aware of this issue and if Samsung is working on a fix for it?

I find it ridiculous, that after so lengthy delay in releasing this firmware such a well known bug wasn't spotted and dealt with.

9 REPLIES 9
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Oreo Android 8.0 EE EVR standby battery drain.

Have you done a factory restore which you are advised to do after a major update.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

I didn't have a chance yet, because I use this phone mostly for work and as you know re setting phone completely and re configuring every thing from the scratch takes quite a lot of time and dedication. I'm willing to try it over this weekend, however I am not going to hold my breath, as others report that this is bigger software problem and complete wipe doesn't help at all.

I really don't expect you - an ee forum moderator, not the Samsung soft engineer to go that extra mile and read about the problem, however it takes only 5 minutes of googling to realise that problem seems to be related with 4g standby power management.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bronxx

Could you let us know what happens after your back up and factory reset?

Thanks

Chris

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Just to say, if you've upgraded in the morning it's too soon to say if you have excessive battery drain in standby.

This is because, after you do a major upgrade or factory reset, the handset needs to perform various housekeeping tasks in the background. It will take two or three days to settle down.

One of these tasks, and a big factor in power drain, is battery optimisation. As the handset learns usage patterns in the new OS you'll find the time between charges increases and battery drain decreases.

The best thing to do is wait a few days, charging as needed/convenient and if the situation doesn't improve then do a reset. It'll need to do the housekeeping again so you'll have to wait a few more days to see if its worked.

If it hasn't resolved the issue, then its time to consider alternatives like a bug in the firmware 

You need to be careful with anecdotal evidence gained from a Google search. You might find 100s with the same problem or 1000s but as you don't know how many don't have the problem you have no context.

Established Contributor

Thanks for your replies guys.

I have upgraded over 24hrs ago, but I'm willing to leave it as it is for the rest of the weekend to see what's going to happen. Worst case scenario, I'll use my SIM card in backup phone (iPhone 5 Smiley Indifferent) and will play with it in the evenings during the week.

It's a bit of a shame, that this thing is acting weird out of the box, as Oreo as a system is great and gave my trusty S7 new lease of life.

@Techhead I know what you're saying, I am an android user since Froyo. System needs to settle a bit after installation, however in this particular case as soon as I'm away from WiFi the battery drops dramatically straight away. This morning I went to swimming and some shopping with my kid, and lost almost 20% of a battery in two hours. With phone in my pocket not being used... As I said before, simple search will give you all the knowledge of this problem, including a solution to downgrade to Nougat, which apparently helps instantly.

You don't really have to patronize me as there are people struggling with this bug for weeks, trying everything including full wipe with negative result. If I'll find 100s, or even few dozen people reporting it all over the web, then it is quite obvious, that there is a problem.

Also, apparently S8 and S9 had similar problem to extend and it was resolved with latest bug fixes, so there is a hope.

I just wanted to ask if EE is aware of the issue and if Samsung is already working with EE to get it resolved.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bronxx: FYI :@BrendonH is not a forum Mod but a user just like you, as are most of us here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@bronxx wrote:

Thanks for your replies guys.

Also, apparently S8 and S9 had similar problem to extend and it was resolved with latest bug fixes, so there is a hope.

I just wanted to ask if EE is aware of the issue and if Samsung is already working with EE to get it resolved.

I have the S8+ and never experienced this problem.

But I alwaysbfactory reset after a major update. This is something Samsung advises.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

@BrendonH well, I gave it over four days, I've done full reset, standby is still on top of my battery usage list. The only way to stop the battery drain when the phone is not in use, is to be connected to WiFi. For some reason when all the background sync is depending on 4g, the battery is draining constantly like the phone doesn't sleep. This definitely wasn't the case with Nougat...

@XRaySpeX @Techhead @Christopher_G any other suggestions?

Can somebody from EE let us know if we'll get an update any time soon? Or are we 3-4 months behind as usual?

I love Samsung phones, but they always drag their feet with regards to bug fixing. Having EE branded handset makes things even worse, as the delay is even longer.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bronxx

Thanks for trying that. 

I've sent you a private message to get a little more information from you.

Please take a look at your community inbox and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.