by JSS Investigator
Investigator

Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) Nougat updates

Since my phone upgraded to Android 7.0 earlier in the year, charging has been very slow and it needs to be left overnight to get much above 80-90%.  The problem is described here:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/OtherMobile/thread-id/3193/p...

and the problem was apparently fixed in an update by Samsung to A310FXXU3CQI2 (with the August 2017 security patches).  My device is still on A310FXXU3CQG3 with July 2017 security patches. 

Are mobile phone operators (like EE) still the bottlenecks in this release process?  I thought they were being removed as a blocker by Google due to concern with critical security patches not reaching all consumers.

There has since been a specific security fix for BlueBorne and more recently the October 2017 security patch according to this:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/10/samsung-galaxy-a3-2016-gets-october-2017-security-patch.htm...

Why are none of these later versions/patches available to my handset on EE?

Thanks,

James

9 REPLIES 9
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) Nougat updates

Hi @JSS

We at EE want to ensure that these updates are released to customers in a timely manner, and that the customer experience is at an acceptable level.

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates. As soon as the manufacturer makes an update available for your phone, you will receive a notification.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by JSS Investigator
Investigator

Hello Richard,

But Samsung have released at least two updates for the phone since mine last updated and neither have been available through a manual update on the phone:

Mine is stuck on A310FXXU3CQG1 (includes 1st July 2017 security patches)

A310FXXU3CQI8 was released late Sept/early Oct and fixed the battery issue

October security patch version released ~27th Oct

Do EE have to do something to release these updates?

Thanks,

James

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JSS

As soon as the manufacturer makes an update available for your phone, you will receive a notification.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by JSS Investigator
Investigator

What's the point of completely ignoring my message and repeating yourself?

by jekwwp Investigator
Investigator

I have been quite frustrated with this as well as my A3 (2016) hasn't had an update since 6.01. My wife has the same phone on 02 and had updates much earlier in the year. I just had a loooong e-chat with a very helpful if misinformed person and here is a part of the transcript:  'To summarise: My phone is so good that it doesn't need an update so I should go away. If I wanted to find out about the timing of the update, I should contact Samsung (powerfully wrong counsel) and go away. Ultimately to discover that the issue rests with EE who have the slowest validation process (up to a good chunk of a year, and counting) and that I should patiently await the process whose duration I do not know and then go away. Again, I know that you are superb at your job, I'm more cross with EE for not having a standard line for you to convey what accurately reflects the real situation. It may not be corporate, but truth will spread understanding in both senses while deflection only curiosity and frustration'.

The company line of 'it's in Samsung's hands, so call them if you want to find out' is a destructive misdirection. First, it isn't in Samsung's hands, and Samsung will keep you on hold for 30 to 60 minutes to tell you that. Second, even saying that the reason EE can offer the level of service they do at the price they do means that they may employ a smaller validation staff than other providers and that means a longer wait for updates would be better. This deliberate scattering of misinformation as in this thread is so far my only real complaint about EE and may be the only reason I'd consider leaving them after years.

With that in mind, Richard, could you kindly validate your reply and then get back to us?

by jekwwp Investigator
Investigator

Two weeks of silence so far...

by JSS Investigator
Investigator

It seems like something may be glacially moving.  There is a file EVR-A310FXXU3CQI8-20171204133730.zip now available on various firmware download sites.  This looks like the EE specific (EVR) version of the August 2017 security patch level (including the Nougat charging fix) that was rolled out by most other networks in October.

It's still not available OTA on my handset.  Has anyone else had it?

It's already obsolete, there is now a A310FXXU3CQI9 version (October 2017 security patch level) being released by other networks.

Is EE the slowest worldwide at releasing these critical security updates?

James

by jekwwp Investigator
Investigator

Just got the older Q13 update OTA yesterday, which at least gets me to 7.0. Still no reply to my question about misinformation.

by jekwwp Investigator
Investigator

Just got the older Q13 update OTA yesterday, which at least gets me to 7.0. Still no reply to my question about misinformation.

J

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.