by stuarttunstall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

S8+ upgrade to Pie

Hi all,

My Samsung S8+ has just updated to Android Pie, bit bad but some of the icons look rubbish lol ... other than that it looks to be OK ... EXCEPT... WiFi Calling!

I have read on here and ther sites that this seems to, or appears to break WiFi calling, but reading on here it seems that that is how it should work now...

IF you get a decent 4G signal it will stay on VOLTE only switching to WiFi calling if needed is that correct?

I have tried a suggestion on here to turn to 2G/3G and it does bring up the icon, turnng back to 4G turns it off again...

If it does turn off WiFi calling that seems to be a step backwards to be rather than an improvement...Although it does seem to appear, as it is now and disappear..

Stuart

9 REPLIES 9
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: S8+ upgrade to Pie

It only goes onto WiFi Calling if the normal network isn't good enough.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

Thanks for the fast reply..

Seems a step backwards to me, I would prefer it to do as it did on Oreo, automatically connect to WiFi calling when I get home, not switch between the two like it is now.. now saying VOLTE again, a few minutes ago it said WiFi calling..

Very strange thing to happen with an update I thought they improved things not go backwards 🙂 

So, when it is connected to my home WiFi does it use that for things like internet, downloads, Apple Music etc or the EE network?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

WiFi Calling doesn't effect your data usage. If your phone is connected to wifi it'll use that over mobile data.

WiFi calling is different and doesn't use data it just another way to use calls if your network isn't good in your area.

Established Contributor

Just seems odd,

Oreo automatically connected to my home WiFi the activates WiFi Calling everytime, now with Andorid 9 it connects to my WiFi OK but picks and chooses if it wants to use WiFi calling or not..

Most the time since I updated this morning it is on VOLTE, but the odd time it will show WiFi calling working..Back on now

Nice work Android, EE or Samsung

Take it your phone dies the same?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It doesn't effect nothing though. It doesn't really matter if its on WiFi Calling or LTE Calling.

It uses the same allowances (normall unlimited)

Yes my S10+ does the same and its constantly on VoLTE though as my broadband is rubbish and I am waiting for fibre to come to my area.

Established Contributor

My internet is pretty good, the phone is now showing WiFi calling again then VOLTE, just switches on and off... Crap really...

If that is how it now works I will have to put up with it, but it is now a pointless addition to my phone... and addition that always worked on Android 8..

Established Contributor

Interesting... .I have now tried the above 4-5 times....

I have my phone in a case, so..

Open the flip case, phone lights up with VOLTE showing

Open the phone app to dial...

In about 5-10 seconds WiFi calling activates...

If I close the case and look after a couple of minutes it goes back to VOLTE...

Open phone again and after a few seconds it shows WiFi calling

Try the above again and it works..

It also seems to have started coming to life if i just unlock the phone, after about 5-10 seconds..

What is making the WiFi calling feature turn on and off? it is as though when you are not using the phone to make a call it turns off, as it is not needed... like a "sleep mode"

Try your and see if that works... I have tried about 7 or 8 times now and everytime it does it...

I have also noticed that the dial green button changes to show WiFi calling..

by realtestman Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Mine is exactly the same as it was before - wifi calling is always on while I'm connected to wifi.

Established Contributor

Mine seems to stay on VOLTE but I have noticed now, and tried a few times if I unlock the phone and open the phone app to dial, after 5-15 second it changes to WiFi calling... as if the WiFi calling goes to sleep when not required..

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.